Pd160 hot start

lj1735

Jan 25, 2016
Ibiza cupra tdi 2006 starts fine from cold but once the engine has warmed up and the car has been driven the car will not start once warmed up just cranks over and ideas why this could be ?

DScape

Dubbed
Apr 9, 2007
Derby
www.yeomansinc.co.uk
Some years ago mine used to do this. It used to start eventually mind, but would take an age to do so.

It went away and I think the only thing that happened in the mean time was a service, so possibly the fuel filter?

There's a possibility that it's unrelated but the fuel filter is easy and cheap enough to change if it hasn't been done for a while. Might as well give it a service...

I'm pretty sure nothing else was done between symptom and solution. It's worth noting I didn't go looking to fix it, so whatever fixed it was routine....

lj1735

Jan 25, 2016
It never did it when i first got the car 6 months ago then slowly its started to get worse and worse

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
As Big-pete mentioned you can get it mapped out. It's a sign that your battery is dying as it won't spin the engine fast enough for the injectors to start injecting fuel when warm (stupid ECU mapping by VW there)

Will always be good from cold as the ECU tells the injectors to inject from 0 rpm. When the engine is over 70'c you need to spin it to 250rpm before it starts injecting

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
As Big-pete mentioned you can get it mapped out. It's a sign that your battery is dying as it won't spin the engine fast enough for the injectors to start injecting fuel when warm (stupid ECU mapping by VW there)

Will always be good from cold as the ECU tells the injectors to inject from 0 rpm. When the engine is over 70'c you need to spin it to 250rpm before it starts injecting

this.

new altanator+ battery. and a remap. sorted. :rofl:

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Buy a £11 MPPS clone cable, send me a copy of your map and I'll patch it for you. 30 second fix and a couple of minutes reading/writing to the car.

Caused by slow cranking, not reaching the trigger point RPM to inject fuel once the engine is over 70 degrees C. Can be a number of causes as already mentioned:- Starter, battery or any of the cables. Something is worn/ageing but you could spend a fortune trying to fix it unnecessarily.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members