FR suspension

V4mP

Feb 21, 2017
Finland
Hi, I have frustrated to my daily drivers (Leon 1.8TSI FR) suspension.
I think its too harsh, it leaves car jumping after bigger bumps and when cornering a bit harder car rolls pretty much. I've read good stuff about KONI FSD dampers. Does anyone have experience of those or can suggest some other product for me?

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
I agree. FR suspension is poorly engineered. Seat need to employ some ride and handling engineers from JLR or Lotus. Maybe the switchable dampers will improve it on the new FR.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
I test drove a 150PS Leon FR, before eventually buying a Cupra.

I found the FR perfectly acceptable and comfortable. To be honest, I've always preferred a stiffer suspension in comparison to a soft wallowy one.

PS. I used to own an 11 reg Civic Type R, which makes the FR feel like a Rolls Royce in comfort.

Last edited:

V4mP

Feb 21, 2017
Finland
I test drove a 150PS Leon FR, before eventually buying a Cupra.

I found the FR perfectly acceptable and comfortable. To be honest, I've always preferred a stiffer suspension in comparison to a soft wallowy one.

PS. I used to own an 11 reg Civic Type R, which makes the FR feel like a Rolls Royce in comfort.

Seems like you are masochist.. :rofl:

Haven't anyone tried to improve FR-suspension?

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I don't understand this thread...
Fr is the mid range 'sporty trim', its has firmer suspension and is physically lower than the 'normal' Leon, all of this is clear in both the brochures and if you test drive one. Are we saying the people that bought FR's either didn't test drive them, or didn't opt for the optional DCC enabled pack (which would give the option of a slightly softer ride)?
confused....
EDIT: and I am not a masochist but I find the FR suspension in my 184 (so multi link rear) to be absolutely fine, and I do about 20,000 miles a year mix of motorway and A/B roads

Last edited:

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
I bought my car at 15miles old pre-reg so no option to spec DCC and not sure if it was even available at 15my. If I was buying a new FR then I would spec it. But I won't be buying Seat again due to poor build quality and poor residuals. I only bought my FR to use whilst I wait for my next car to be released which unfortunately is taking longer than originally thought.

The 10 mile test drive I had is not really enough to get a decent feel for the suspension over all surfaces. I find the ride is great for pushing on but the banging and crashing over bumps does get annoying. Recent change to Pilot Sport 4 tyres has improved it somewhat over the Bridgestone S001 fitted as OE.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Can't comment specifically on the Mk3 FR but the Cupra , on any setting, is fine for ride quality, as was previous Mk2 LCR. In fact the worse riding Seat we've had was an 08 Reference Sport, that would shake your fillings lose...
If you want a soft ride, get a Citroen with hydraulic suspension. Just don't go fast round corners...

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
The reason I did not go for an FR was because of the sports suspension and bigger wheels. I wanted a softer ride on our rough road to the village, so went for an SE and spec'd the options I wanted.

If you bought an FR for ride comfort, then you are barking up the wrong tree.

V4mP

Feb 21, 2017
Finland
I don't understand this thread...
Fr is the mid range 'sporty trim', its has firmer suspension and is physically lower than the 'normal' Leon, all of this is clear in both the brochures and if you test drive one. Are we saying the people that bought FR's either didn't test drive them, or didn't opt for the optional DCC enabled pack (which would give the option of a slightly softer ride)?
confused....

I knew when I bought FR that it is "sporty trim" and it had firmer suspension than "normal" Leon.
But I don't think "sporty"should mean harsh ride?
I like cornering with FR suspension, but hate the way it crashes over bumps.. How to put it right, I think FR suspension lacks quality.

I bought my car at 15miles old pre-reg so no option to spec DCC and not sure if it was even available at 15my. If I was buying a new FR then I would spec it.

The 10 mile test drive I had is not really enough to get a decent feel for the suspension over all surfaces. I find the ride is great for pushing on but the banging and crashing over bumps does get annoying.

Pretty much same story for me.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
The FR suspension is needlessly harsh. You don't even needs a sports suspension in the 184 let alone a 150 bhp 1.4. It just highlights the rattles around the cabin even more.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I knew when I bought FR that it is "sporty trim" and it had firmer suspension than "normal" Leon.
But I don't think "sporty"should mean harsh ride?
I like cornering with FR suspension, but hate the way it crashes over bumps.. How to put it right, I think FR suspension lacks quality.

Pretty much same story for me.

You cant have one without the other, unless you buy a car with DCC, so really you only have yourself to blame for buying the wrong car for your needs. Its not a problem with the car, its a problem with your expectations, which the way I read it are pretty bonkers... I want a car that corners well, but has a soft ride :rofl:

Citroen 2CV? :blink:

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
You cant have one without the other, unless you buy a car with DCC,
Salesman tried that on me, so I test drove one over bumpy roads. It's still hard due to the spring rates, the only thing DCC does is alter damping rates. If you want comfort you need appropriate spring rates with appropriate damping. The 'comfort' suspension in my SE is more comfortable than the FR 'sports' suspension with DCC IMHO.

Last edited:

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Salesman tried that on me, so I test drove one over bumpy roads. It's still hard due to the spring rates, the only thing DCC does is alter damping rates. If you want comfort you need appropriate spring rates with appropriate damping. The 'comfort' suspension in my SE is more comfortable than the FR 'sports' suspension with DCC IMHO.

Of course it is!!!!

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
I really like the FR SC suspension. It's firm, but the road handling is excellent.
Tony

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
I find the FR suspension fine. I knew it might be a little harsher, but compared to my previous car - Ford Focus Mk2 Estate, it's almost the same. Maybe it's been too long with the Seat and I've gotten used to it. But I really don't remember the Focus being any more comfortable or softer to be honest.

I don't have any complaints about the FR suspension during daily driving. And in some parts we have roads in quite bad condition here in Estonia.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I'm guessing you guys are running 18" rims?

I used to have Leon SE, on 16", now I have Ibiza FR on 17" (40 profile tyres), yes ride is a lot bumpier, and it was really harsh when I got it.i dread going over those speed bumps..then checked tyre pressures, 39 PSI on fronts from factory!!!

I have thus lowered it now to about 36-37 PSI, much better!

There are 2 settings in the fuel flap for tyre PSI, 1 'normal' 1 for 'comfort' I put in between. Not sure if you have same in the Leon FR.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.