PD150 poor mpg

atreyu

Nov 16, 2015
I've checked my coolant temperature tonight using the torque app, I'm getting a Max of 78c, granted it's 4.5c ambient temp but that does seem low to me.

Anyone? I'm wondering if it's the thermostat or the temperature sender?

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Definitely your thermostat, but if you want to try the CTS first as it's an easy job. If you do it yourself you can get one from ebay with 5 year warranty for £5 and it comes with rubber washer and a new clip. I posted a CTS how-to on the MK1 FAQ section. If a garage is doing it then get the genuine CTS fitted.
Changing the thermostat is a couple of hours as you have to take the drive belt off and the alternator out ... unless you are a bendy armed ninja who can do bolts up from impossible angles.

DMWPD130

Jan 26, 2017
Bromley
Are the figures you guys quote from the trip display on the car or using app from fuel fill up
I'm getting around 440 from a tank and I try and fill up with about 50/75 miles left on tank. My trip says normally 38 around town i drive in london a lot and get 50 around m25 driving. I think my cps is on way out though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atreyu

Nov 16, 2015
Mine is MPG from the trip computer

Sockpuppet...... thanks for the comment... what I find weird is I used my OBD reader on my Alhambra for work this morning and that was within a degree of the Leon.... running at 77c and the lowest was 72c.

So either its normal, or both my cars have an issue??

atreyu

Nov 16, 2015
Checked the company Touran at work and that reached 88c, so I guess by coincidence both cars have a little issue.

I've ordered a thermostat, fresh coolant and a temp sensor so I'll report back as and when....

atreyu

Nov 16, 2015
Thanks Adam, I'm hoping it doesnt get to that stage but we'll see how it goes.

I've just replaced the temp sensor (easy job) and the thermostat (a little more awkward, but I didn't remove the alternator or anything like that)

As I've changed both I don't know which was causing my incorrect coolant temperature, but I can now report its running at 88-90*c when taken for a short drive.

I'll report back if it effects the MPG for the better

x4d0w

Feb 1, 2017
Are the figures you guys quote from the trip display on the car or using app from fuel fill up
I'm getting around 440 from a tank and I try and fill up with about 50/75 miles left on tank. My trip says normally 38 around town i drive in london a lot and get 50 around m25 driving. I think my cps is on way out though

I'm doing between 250 and 300 miles with one tank.... around 29mgp... but if go on motorway at 70-90 I'm doing an average of 39-42mpg... some days it is only 10 min home-work-home, and about 3-4 days week I do 9 miles from my gf house to my work... with some miles on the A2...

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
You need to disconnect the EGR to get the best out of it. On the motorway I couldn't get past 46mpg with the EGR connected. Disconnected I can get 50+mpg
Around town its a min of 35mpg

DMWPD130

Jan 26, 2017
Bromley
Does that mean blanking the Egr or just disconnecting, ?
Or would I bet better just getting the egr tuned down?
I have a odb2 Bluetooth connector could I use that if I got the right software?
Where an I get vagcom

Last edited:

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
I disconnected the top rubber pipe on the EGR, put a screw in the rubber pipe to block it, and covered the metal pipe on the EGR with tape. It does throw an EML on the dash, so will need to be put back on for the MOT, but it improve the fuel consumption, and any low rev hesitations

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.