2011 Ibiza 1.2 TSI sportrider longterm review

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It is bad to spend nearly £2000 in 7month on repairs but nothing went wrong in the first 4 & half years. also had the sump replaced in july 2016 as well as that was rotted, so to protect underneath of the engine I have put a full size under tray of a audi a1 as the Ibiza only come with a half size one on them.

I did not think about fitting an under shield on that Ibiza, but I was smart enough, from previous experience to catch the rotting sump in time and plaster it with black Hammerite!

That sump issue is "car industry wide", I first came across it when my wife swopped her MK2 Fiesta 1.1L for a MK3 1.1 Ghia, the engine paint colour changed to grey from black and that sump rotted before I realised it, bought a new Ford sump and I managed to wipe all the paint off it with Meths while preparing it for a good few coats of black Hammerite paint! My mate reported needing to replace the sump on his son's 2008 Clio for the same reason, so lots of that problem still out there, my and wife's previous cars, VWs both had alloy sumps so no issue there, same with our current cars a VW and an Audi. So little is caught and sorted in the motor industry as it feeds the dealer's workshops, in the early Ford Sierra days the DERV engine was Peugeot supplied and that had a steel sump with a heavy covering of paint/plastic, seemed like a good idea as it deadened the noise - wrong, get one chip in that and water and salt got in and dissolved the steel in a big way, then, with just a covering of plastic keeping the oil in, go over a nasty bump in the road and the plastic cracked open dumping the oil and the engine quickly seized it seemed!! Another sad story from the past, Ford Sierra initially came out of the factory with ARBs that had plastic endstops - again Skoda/VW/SEAT copied that clever idea until about 2004 and us mugs picked up the tab for sorting it!

Edit:- actually a bit of miss information there, my Audi has a black painted steel plate covering the bottom of the engine (base of sump) - I need to have a look at wife's 1.2TSI 16V to see what it has - before it is a problem?

Last edited:

Tricksc

It's Tricky
Dec 29, 2011
Sheffield
I did not think about fitting an under shield on that Ibiza, but I was smart enough, from previous experience to catch the rotting sump in time and plaster it with black Hammerite!

That sump issue is "car industry wide", I first came across it when my wife swopped her MK2 Fiesta 1.1L for a MK3 1.1 Ghia, the engine paint colour changed to grey from black and that sump rotted before I realised it, bought a new Ford sump and I managed to wipe all the paint off it with Meths while preparing it for a good few coats of black Hammerite paint! My mate reported needing to replace the sump on his son's 2008 Clio for the same reason, so lots of that problem still out there, my and wife's previous cars, VWs both had alloy sumps so no issue there, same with our current cars a VW and an Audi. So little is caught and sorted in the motor industry as it feeds the dealer's workshops, in the early Ford Sierra days the DERV engine was Peugeot supplied and that had a steel sump with a heavy covering of paint/plastic, seemed like a good idea as it deadened the noise - wrong, get one chip in that and water and salt got in and dissolved the steel in a big way, then, with just a covering of plastic keeping the oil in, go over a nasty bump in the road and the plastic cracked open dumping the oil and the engine quickly seized it seemed!! Another sad story from the past, Ford Sierra initially came out of the factory with ARBs that had plastic endstops - again Skoda/VW/SEAT copied that clever idea until about 2004 and us mugs picked up the tab for sorting it!

Edit:- actually a bit of miss information there, my Audi has a black painted steel plate covering the bottom of the engine (base of sump) - I need to have a look at wife's 1.2TSI 16V to see what it has - before it is a problem?

the under tray is the £23 I've spent to protect the sump & power steering & anything else going wrong. I did a vehicle health check last month to see how everything is & all is good with the Ibiza.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My old 1991 VX Cav GSI had a completely enclosed engine compartment so kept things clean, my old 2000 VW Passat 4Motion also had a completely enclosed engine compartment so kept things clean, my current 2011 Audi S4 also has a completely enclosed engine compartment so keeps things clean.

One thing that I noticed early on with my wife's previous Polo 1.4 16V was, one of the power steering steel fluid lines was getting rusty quickly, and that I think is now included in the MOT, so I painted it with black Hammerite - just in case! I think that an under shield would have stopped that happening.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.