Insurer won't replace windscreen with SEAT glass?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Yeah, so not a great day :censored:

I've got loads of hazing / scratches on my windscreen from some **** getting kicked up into the glass on a dual-carriageway the other day. It's in my line of sight and restricts my vision at night, so it needs replacing before the first MOT is due next month.

Now, my insurer will replace the glass but they have refused to do so with a like-for-like i.e. genuine SEAT glass, for the excess fee of £80. They want £500!!!

I have three issues with this:

1. Non-SEAT glass will void my warranty
2. It could potentially reduce the resale value of the car
3. They are cheaping out at the expense of the above.

Where do I stand?

The insurer is 1st Central by the way. They state:

What is not covered

• The excess shown in your Schedule
• Electrical or mechanical items associated with the window mechanisms.
• Repairing or replacing any windscreens or windows which are not made of glass.
• Damage to any hood if your car is a cabriolet or convertible.
• Any amount over £150, unless you use the approved glass supplier.
• Claims for damage to sunroofs, roof panels, lights or reflectors even if they are made of glass.
• We limit claims for multiple breakages of glass to one piece of glass only under this section of cover

I see nothing there that says I can't have a genuine windscreen? I am, of course, going through the approved glass supplier.

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It's not unusual for glass replacement under motor insurance policies to be non-OEM. You may well find that the screen fitted by your insurer's approved glass supplier is made by a manufacturer such as Pilkington to an equivalent standard /spec as your Seat-branded screen. Pilkington make much of the manufacturer-branded glass, so if they make glass for Seat, they wouldn't be cheaping out on quality; the only difference would be that the replacement screen fitted by your insurer's approved supplier doesn't have a Seat logo on it.

I'd be surprised if a non-Seat replacement windscreen would void your warranty. Under what circumstances do you see this might be an issue? If, say, you had a warrantable mechanical or electrical issue, surely Seat wouldn't decline the warranty claim on the basis of the fitment of a non-OEM branded replacement windscreen that was totally unrelated to the warranty issue?

As far as affecting resale value is concerned; I've sold VAG cars that have had replacement non-manufacturer branded windscreens and have always got what I considered to be the right price for the car, using the likes of CAP and Glass's Guide as a benchmark.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
It's not unusual for glass replacement under motor insurance policies to be non-OEM. You may well find that the screen fitted by your insurer's approved glass supplier is made by a manufacturer such as Pilkington to an equivalent standard /spec as your Seat-branded screen. Pilkington make much of the manufacturer-branded glass, so if they make glass for Seat, they wouldn't be cheaping out on quality; the only difference would be that the replacement screen fitted by your insurer's approved supplier doesn't have a Seat logo on it.

Well aware of that, but I don't care. The difference is the SEAT stamp but I want the stamp, as I should.

I'd be surprised if a non-Seat replacement windscreen would void your warranty. Under what circumstances do you see this might be an issue? If, say, you had a warrantable mechanical or electrical issue, surely Seat wouldn't decline the warranty claim on the basis of the fitment of a non-OEM branded replacement windscreen that was totally unrelated to the warranty issue?

It will void anything to do with the rain-sensing wipers or similar.

As far as affecting resale value is concerned; I've sold VAG cars that have had replacement non-manufacturer branded windscreens and have always got what I considered to be the right price for the car, using the likes of CAP and Glass's Guide as a benchmark.

Good for you, I know people who haven't.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've had windscreens replaced several times. I've quite sure they didn't use OEM glass but you would never know. They've looked the same and I've had no issues. Not with the glass itself at least.

I had a Nissan Primera GT that started to rust on the 'A'-pillar and I reckon it was because they scratched the paint off when they were scraping off of the old window bonding material. Of course it was years later and I couldn't prove it but I do think that's what caused it.

Best of luck getting an OEM windscreen, I don't fancy your chances.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I've had windscreens replaced several times. I've quite sure they didn't use OEM glass but you would never know. They've looked the same and I've had no issues. Not with the glass itself at least.

I had a Nissan Primera GT that started to rust on the 'A'-pillar and I reckon it was because they scratched the paint off when they were scraping off of the old window bonding material. Of course it was years later and I couldn't prove it but I do think that's what caused it.

Best of luck getting an OEM windscreen, I don't fancy your chances.

Personally, I am confident.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Well done on not backing down! I had the same argument with Direct Line over the correct glass for my Megane 225 (made by Saint Gobain) and was a rare option early on for the 5-door (mine is one of about 20 or so in early 5 door with solar acoustic glass). It took them fitting two pattern screens that wouldn't work with the rain/light sensor or fit to the rear view mirror base to fit the OE glass - this took 12 months! Sods law dictated that the first time I drove on the motorway some weeks later, that I'd get a huge stone crack the glass!!! They fitted Pilkington next time round and it's still not right with the sensor but I've lost the will to live fighting it...plus I've got the 290 as a consolation.

Last edited:

WhenImAlone

Feb 23, 2017
Update - I've got my own way. OEM replacement to be fitted Monday.

Well done on not backing down, which is what the majority of these places bet on customers doing. What exactly did you say to them to get them to agree, though?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
The insurer's issue was cost. They did not want to fork out for a genuine OEM replacement on an £80 excess. They wanted to fit a non-OEM part, and if I wanted an OEM part, then they wanted me to fork out for the ££££ difference.

So:

I pointed out that is not my problem.

I pointed out that it is not myself who should make up the difference in the cost of an OEM and non-OEM part.

I pointed out that my contract with them makes no mention of anything about the type of glass that will be fitted.

I pointed out that the wording of my policy only mentions a limitation in windscreen cost 'if' I do not use the approved repairer, which I was using.

I told them that there was absolutely nothing they could do legally or otherwise to refuse my claim for a genuine windscreen.

I got an email literally 10 minutes after that phone call confirming that my request was satisfactory and they would do what I wanted.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think that's pretty impressive. I think your renewal premium might be as well.

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
Where on the screen does it say Seat
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I think that's pretty impressive. I think your renewal premium might be as well.

It won't affect my future insurance at all.

My insurer states:

"Making a windscreen claim will not be logged as a claim and will not affect your no claims discount."

Furthermore, I have NCB protection anyway.

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
Well done chap for not backing down as and it was always in your favour due to the wording.

Most people are not sure what goes on here. Not only is own glass better it always adds more security as the other stuff is not as good or strong.

Plus if its your car and you own it then you should have like for like replacement. The additional cost is their problem and they should stop being cheap skates.

I always insist on the oem glass and would never accept less. Always check fhe wording in those 'cheaper premiums'

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I've had two oem replacements on a bmw in the last year at my insistence. Apparently it depends on the age of the car. Newish you'll get it if you insist. Older, unlikely.

The problem comes with the sensors on non oem glass as they rely on the accurate refractive index of the glass. Before the technician leaves test the headlights and wipers. This still didn't stop me discovering a fault in the condensation sensor stuck to the windscreen. It had fallen off as the glue was shot after being reused. Only the fault checker at the dealership picked it up.

Kudos to auto windscreen, they replaced it a year after fitting the screen. Lifetime warranty on their labour and parts. £150 ish.

Bmw screen £600 Approved by the insurer. M&S on a 4 year old car.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
i know when we were overspill for hastings, any car over 3yrs old got non genuine parts, as part of the contract the insured signs with the insurance.

we only had one customer kickoff to get genuine parts, and they got their way

ins is the biggest single con in the country, there now re writing rules to make it so hard for indepandant bodyshops like us,

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.