Insurer won't replace windscreen with SEAT glass?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've had two oem replacements on a bmw in the last year at my insistence. Apparently it depends on the age of the car. Newish you'll get it if you insist. Older, unlikely.
chopped out bits -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos to auto windscreen, they replaced it a year after fitting the screen. Lifetime warranty on their labour and parts. £150 ish.

From my experience of trying to get a repaired chip "repaired" 5 years down the line, I failed, problem was, my insurer had changed glass contract to another company which had roughly the same name, so when I brought it up with the original company, who still exist, all they could say was "sorry about that, we have no record of that work being done due to our business management software being updated/replaced - goodbye! "

Quite a modern British way of doing business and minimising the need to sort out old problems, retain old company name and operate in a different area of the market, create new company name and operate that where the old company previously did, oh and change business management software package of the original company- sorted!

Last edited:

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
I rang my windscreen company today and asked if they use oem. They replied with we will need to confirm with your ins company and your appointment has to now be cancelled and re booked when ins agree to it. I will await there call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I rang my windscreen company today and asked if they use oem. They replied with we will need to confirm with your ins company and your appointment has to now be cancelled and re booked when ins agree to it. I will await there call.

Yeah, that's what mine said. Insurer refused. But I got my own way in the end.

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
Fingers crossed the fitters do a proper job, I had a screen fitted in my 1998 Shogun through insurance obviously non OEM but National windscreens completely screwed up three different so called technicians, 2 screens and a new roof headlining and all new outer trims which were special order from Japan, total cost around £450, cars only worth £1000.

Take photos before and after and watch them, make sure they don't do what they did to mine too much glue all squashed out and bonded the screen to the headlining meaning my dash cam cable couldn't be tucked back under, damaged the lining when they tried to separate it hence the new lining.

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
Insurance agreed for oem glass ill be watching them like a hawk with my guages.

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
Ok so i had my windscreen replaced yesterday.
They turned up with a non oem piece of glass told him not to bother touching my car.

Off he went to the dealer to pick up the correct glass.

After 2 hours of him taking good care all finished and im a happy bunny.

Happy Days

Cupra 280/ FR 184 Nice.
Apr 13, 2016
Somerset
I had a crack in my screen last year (cupra 280) and they turned up and with a non OEM one, I was not happy at first but needed it done. OK it does not have the stamp but all working fine and no problem with sensors.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
We had friends come round yesterday and one of them is staying in tomorrow to take care of a windscreen company coming to replace the windscreen on his son's new Passat - stone chip on blacken area at base went unnoticed and has spread a lot! I warned him about the possibility of having problems with the sensors etc. He said that last year, while they had a M-B van/truck based campervan, they got its windscreen replaced by a windscreen company who took one look at the cracked one and said "that is not a proper M-B van/truck bit of glass - we never fit aftermarket glass to them!" - so there you are, some do and some don't! He is not bothering too much about the Passat job as he is only handing over the keys!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.