Rear Door Lock

hombre_paulo

Jan 12, 2013
I need to replace the rear door lock on the driver side. I read through the How To on vwvortex but this is for the front doors and i cant for the life of me see how to release the window from the carrier in order to remove it.
Does anyone have a pic they could upload showing how it comes apart?

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I don't recall ever seeing pictures or a video for the rear locks, but there is a disc that holds the window to the mechanism which needs to be removed, then they separate and can be removed. If you get the right sized bolt you can work it into the disc and lever it out.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi Paulo, I changed mine about 5 months ago and followed the guide mentioned but unfortunately I didn't take any photos. However I'll try to explain as best I can -
When you remove the rear door card, you will be faced with the metal window carrier, as in this pic:
windowreg_zpslrpnzamb.jpg

Below the window motor you will see a BLACK rubber grommet which when you pull off will give you access to the window retaining bush:
golf-mk4-1110_zpspbivj26b.png

windowreg9_zpsspgz0ybd.jpg

Lower the rear window down until you can see the WHITE bush:
Rear%20door%20bushes%20in%20window_zpsv8ebu3qn.jpg

Rear%20door%20bushes_zpsrsgg7ev7.jpg

I used a 5mm threaded bolt to screw into the center bush and used a draw-hammer (you can use pliers) to pull the center bush out. Then you can pull the outer bush out - or if it falls into the door frame you can get it out when you remove the metal window carrier.

Raise the window up to about an inch from the top and hold in place with tape - I used Duct Tape in a 'X' pattern.
Pull out door handle and remove wire, unbolt door lock, disconnect electrics, unbolt metal window carrier and carefully remove carrier.
Disconnect door lock and remove then replace in reverse.
When replacing the window locating bush, place the both inner & outer into hole in bottom of window before lowering it onto carrier. You will have to give the window a firm push down to make the bush 'click' into position

Hope this helps a bit better ;)

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
I used a threaded bolt without success so eventually stuffed a load of rags behind the glass and tapped it through with a appropriately sized torx screwdriver. Not for the faint hearted as I was sure I would break the glass but it must have been my lucky day!

wilfster

Mar 6, 2010
Just like it says in Bruce's excellent guide.
Also, spraying with silicone lubricant before you start should help to remove the centre bush. Spray the plastic bits again before replacing the window.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.