Generic Gumtree Question

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Hopefully I'll be back in the hunt for an LCR very soon, havn't a huge budget and have seen a couple of LCR's on Gumtree, but have also heard some absolute horror stories too.
Is Gumtree a reasonable source or should it be avoided ?

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Yeah guess it's the same as any other source really you'll find horror stories everywhere. Do the usual checks, MOT, HPi etc. if it something doesn't feel right then walk away.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
I sell a few on gumtree so must be ok...oh wait no I'm selling on there! Lol
Jokes aside it is fine. Bought soooo many cars off there it's untrue.as said usual checks and go to the persons house and not a petrol station!
Ak

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Yeah , there's been some good ones and some quite frankly terrible ones , unfortunately the sale of my As(h)tra(y) fell through so not in the market at present :-(

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
It isn't any worse than buying from eBay, Pre-Loved, AutoTrader, Pistonheads, this owners club or a private sale elsewhere.... if someone wants to rip you off then they'll do it anywhere.

Just do your home work on the car first and the rest doesn't matter.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
That's the kind of format iv'e been following.

When was water pump/cambelt changed and is there documentation to prove
Last service in general and documentation to prove
Does the mileage match the MOT
MOT pass/failure history

etc etc

Hope to be thrashing up and down the A12 again very soon :)

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Check the radiator fan goes round slowly when you turn on the air con or else you'll have do the resistor mod or replace the fan unit.

andycupra

status subject to change
beware gumtree, but just as you should on any other online forum to contact people.

take the necessaary precautions, dont send money to random people or back accounts, if it doesnt feel right dont do it.

if you follow sensible practices as in view the car at the registered address, see ID and complete checks it should be like buying a car in any other way.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Got my £400 cupra from gumtree and still going strong. Was up for £1200 at the start....Few weeks later and bam PRICE DROP!! thrown a cheeky offer out there and a bit of chat and now 9 months later she's still beating 16 plate cars. Most fun I've had in years in a car.

I recommend gumtree very highly but just watch who you deal with. I've seen the boys on there flogging cars daily, reposting to get noticed more ect ect. Deal with real car owner only...Or buy a turd.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
Personally I'd say the ones to be extra wary of but not necessarily avoid are the traders selling a car privately more so than where the car is advertised. "I'm a used car dealer but this is my wife's / neighbour's / whoever's car and I'm selling it as a favour to them ..." and it's not going through the business books. Why is it not going through the business? Often the answer is, because I know something and I don't want to put myself at risk of Trading Standards. The price is often dealership price without any of the security of buying from a dealer. On the flip side if you're awake you can often get them to fix problems you find more easily than you could a genuine private seller. Just be twice as wide awake and be prepared to walk away. Also remember their brand new MOT is from the garage that does all their MOTs!

Last edited: