Full Link - Never works first time

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
I'm wondering if anyone else is getting this issue or is it just me?

Basically, the first time you try connect the Full Link system up, it errors. But then the second time it works straight away. The problem is that sometimes it just randomly disconnects and there doesn't seem to be a reason behind it.

I am getting a new phone soon so I'll soon know if it is the car or the phone. However, I'd like to know if I'm alone with this one or if there are others with the same issue.

Chuggs1

Sep 22, 2016
Not connected mine yet but I have a question that you may know answer to..... can you connect more that one phone... I have personal android and work iPhone... thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
It uses the USB port, so there is only one port available.

However technically, you wouldn't be able to connect 2 phones. The way full link works is basically using the screen in your car as the main screen for your mobile phone. It's like connecting your laptop to an external monitor, all the processing is done on the actual phone and the screen is there to show the app and integrate with the speakers and car computer.

I haven't tested using full link with another phone connected via bluetooth yet, but I don't think it would be an issue.

Chuggs1

Sep 22, 2016
Thanks for the reply ... suppose I best get out and start trying

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
Mine works fine everytime, am using a Galaxy S7, no issues at all. I take it you have tried a different USB cable? Also make sure the USB port on your phone isn't full of fluff and causing a dodgy connection (have had that happen before, had to clean it out with a cocktail stick, don't use a metal pin for obvious reasons,) the small gap between the pins on the USB port and the top of the port easily gets fluff stuck in it and the usb plug doesn't go in all the way and causes it to keep stopping connection with the pins.

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
Mine works fine everytime, am using a Galaxy S7, no issues at all. I take it you have tried a different USB cable? Also make sure the USB port on your phone isn't full of fluff and causing a dodgy connection (have had that happen before, had to clean it out with a cocktail stick, don't use a metal pin for obvious reasons,) the small gap between the pins on the USB port and the top of the port easily gets fluff stuck in it and the usb plug doesn't go in all the way and causes it to keep stopping connection with the pins.

I've got the S5 with it's dust cover so the port is pretty clean. I've tried a different cable and I get the same issues. I might just wait until I get the Galaxy S8 next month and see if that's any better, otherwise it's back to the dealer.

I have noticed the USB port is incredibly stiff, what's yours like?

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
The one in the car? Erm I don't remember as I plugged a cable in it when I got the car and have never removed it, I'll check it later and let you know!
Oh an S8, fancy!! I've not had my S7 long (just before xmas) so will be sticking with it for a while, tbh it is much more than I really need in a phone as it is!

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
The one in the car? Erm I don't remember as I plugged a cable in it when I got the car and have never removed it, I'll check it later and let you know!
Oh an S8, fancy!! I've not had my S7 long (just before xmas) so will be sticking with it for a while, tbh it is much more than I really need in a phone as it is!

Well I've had my S5 for 3 years now and it's getting to the point where isn't not really usable. I only want the S8 because it's the latest and therefor should keep me going for another 3 years, the camera is supposed to be the greatest thing to ever come out on a phone. I need a good camera for the Instagram/forum pics :happy:

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
I had the same problems as you. My phone was the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, and even a factory-reset didn't fix it. Mine also used to randomly forget Android Auto had ever been set up in the first place, and also used to randomly disconnect, usually when changing from one music track to another in Google Play Music.

I changed phone, and it's been perfect ever since - I don't think the connection has failed once since having my new phone. (my new phone is a OnePlus 3)

BoyRacer

SUV time!
Aug 5, 2016
The 'problem' with my OnePlus2 is that I occasionally can't make a second phone call with androidauto as the audio just isn't there. It needs a key out reset to get things back to normal again.
On a 'slight' thread deviation, does MirrorLink work with your OnePlus 3 gletts?

Last edited:

Famandy1

Feb 20, 2015
North Yorkshire
I've got a Galaxy S6 connected via Mirrorlink on Nav High first generation (June 2015 Cupra ST) and wonder exactly what it's supposed to to do - can't see the point and main dealer in York hasn't been able to enlighten me either! Haven't got Android Auto but guess this must be superior?!

Fatbadger

My Little Beaver
Feb 18, 2003
Herts
www.fatbadger.net
I've got a Galaxy S6 connected via Mirrorlink on Nav High first generation (June 2015 Cupra ST) and wonder exactly what it's supposed to to do - can't see the point and main dealer in York hasn't been able to enlighten me either! Haven't got Android Auto but guess this must be superior?!
Install Android Auto from Google playstore onto your S6, and make this your default app when using full link. You won't regret it. I use it everyday and wouldn't be without it now.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Famandy1

Feb 20, 2015
North Yorkshire
Install Android Auto from Google playstore onto your S6, and make this your default app when using full link. You won't regret it. I use it everyday and wouldn't be without it now.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

If only I had Android Auto on my 1st generation Nav High - it only has Mirrorlink and no way of retro fitting Full Link

zzakzz17

Feb 8, 2017
Android auto however works flawlessly, you can press and hold the talk button on steering wheel and talk with Google assistant. Its similiar to siri.

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
Android Auto is brilliant when it's working. I've never found a practical use for Mirror Link, nor have I actually managed to get screen mirroring to work. It basically gives you access to Spotify app in your car, reads out your text messages, which you can reply to through voice control, use google maps (I actually prefer the built in nav).

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
The 'problem' with my OnePlus2 is that I occasionally can't make a second phone call with androidauto as the audio just isn't there. It needs a key out reset to get things back to normal again.
On a 'slight' thread deviation, does MirrorLink work with your OnePlus 3 gletts?

I don't think I've ever tried MirrorLink. I just use Android Auto. I'll try it for you at the weekend when I have some time. Android Auto has been flawless on the OnePlus 3, though. I possibly have my most favourite car/phone combination at the moment - Leon FR ST 184, and OnePlus 3 - loving them both!

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
I got my S8+ and I can say that it works 99% of the time.

I've still got a couple of issues with music not playing even though the screen says it is and on a very rare basis full link doesn't actually load. If anyone else was having the same issues as me, especially with an old model phone then I can confidently say your phone needs upgrading.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
I got my S8+ and I can say that it works 99% of the time.

I've still got a couple of issues with music not playing even though the screen says it is and on a very rare basis full link doesn't actually load. If anyone else was having the same issues as me, especially with an old model phone then I can confidently say your phone needs upgrading.

Where do you sit your phone? My Fr had the USB in the glovebox which I loved but now I have less room and a pixel XL to find a space for. There's nowhere neat for it to fit.
I considered a car mount but considering I have Android Auto it seems like a waste of money.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.