Which Leon will suit me ??

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
If you want a petrol Leon with multi link rear suspension and bigger brakes, why not consider the 1.8TSi petrol version? I have a 1.8TSi DSG 5-door hatch FR, which I think is brilliant. The 1.4TSI 150PS petrol engine is really impressive and refined, but there aren't any Leon models combining this engine with multi link rear suspension, and anyway I personally find the 1.8TSi definitely has a considerable edge performance-wise, with totally predictable linear torque and power delivery throughout the rev range.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I wouldn't see the absence of multi-link rear end as a deal-braker. I've owned cars with both multi-link and independent rear suspension and you can get really great handling cars that have either. I haven't driven a multi-link Leon but the torsion-beam on the car I have works well. It's a very solid handling car with the lack of road feel the only significant limitation. Whichever Leon you buy, you'll be happy with the handling.

Love-Cupra

Jul 29, 2016
Netherlands
Use ??

I wouldn't see the absence of multi-link rear end as a deal-braker. I've owned cars with both multi-link and independent rear suspension and you can get really great handling cars that have either. I haven't driven a multi-link Leon but the torsion-beam on the car I have works well. It's a very solid handling car with the lack of road feel the only significant limitation. Whichever Leon you buy, you'll be happy with the handling.

Mutli-link is the better system but if the car is never driven to (or near) it's potential
it will not be missed too. Can agree both will do the job but imo the MLink is just a bonus,
when going for the 184 Hp, as engine performance will be much more decisive I believe.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Mutli-link is the better system but if the car is never driven to (or near) it's potential it will not be missed too.

I'm sure that multi-link is better but I would argue that a well implemented bean axle has advantages that mean it can also be very good, in a different way.

I've owned two Nissan Primera cars. One was a P10 with independent rear suspension and the other was a P11 with a beam rear axle. They called it something clever but it was a glorified torsion-beam. The front suspension was identical on both cars, a very clever double-wishbone set-up designed to keep the wheels parallel to the ground virtually all the time.

Both cars were great to drive, but different. I preferred the P10 with the independent rear suspension, it felt more 'alive', but the P11 was more 'planted'. You could predict what the P10 was going to do but you could feel what the P11 was doing, so much so that you could slide the back end at will, pushing the car right to the limit. I haven't owned another car that gave that amount of feedback.

I'm also reminded of a conversation I had years ago with a friend who was a sales rep. He'd had a Peugeot estate and then the same car but a saloon. He thought the saloon was more comfortable but couldn't understand why the estate felt more stable when things got spirited. Then he realised the estate has a beam rear end while the saloon was independent.

I'm not saying that independent rear suspension is worse. What I am saying is that it's not as simple as saying that it's always better.

LINK