New to a Leon - Some advice needed

Ushuss

Oct 20, 2016
Hi,

After trying different marques out, I've gone and bought myself a Leon FR TDI. Saw it by chance on the bay and took a punt. Cars done 133k miles but is mechanically sound. No receipt for injectors, but there is one for the injector loom replaced last year, as well as a cam belt/waterpump change, DPF removal and apparently a "remap".

I have not noticed any smoke yet I have some questions which are sort of on my mind;

1. How can I tell the DPF is removed? The DPF light comes on on ignition but goes off straight away. Hasn't ever come on when driving.

2. To me I can't tell if the car is mapped or not. It pulls very smoothly and there is torque, but it doesn't pull you back in the seat like my friends pd140 does (which isn't mapped). I checked the boost psi with the torque app, it peaks at 23ishpsi at 2k just for a second then drops down to 22psi at tail 3k and then drops down to 21psi till 4k. Not sure if this is normal, plus there is sometimes the 'stutter' I've read of.

I'm thinking of getting it on the rollers, and if it isn't mapped just getting a bluefin on it. Would they need to code dpf removal in the map? As if I take off this 'map' if it is 'mapped' then could it possibly cause the dpf to go funny if it has been mapped out?

Any advice appreciated.

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
Hi,

After trying different marques out, I've gone and bought myself a Leon FR TDI. Saw it by chance on the bay and took a punt. Cars done 133k miles but is mechanically sound. No receipt for injectors, but there is one for the injector loom replaced last year, as well as a cam belt/waterpump change, DPF removal and apparently a "remap".

I have not noticed any smoke yet I have some questions which are sort of on my mind;

1. How can I tell the DPF is removed? The DPF light comes on on ignition but goes off straight away. Hasn't ever come on when driving.

2. To me I can't tell if the car is mapped or not. It pulls very smoothly and there is torque, but it doesn't pull you back in the seat like my friends pd140 does (which isn't mapped). I checked the boost psi with the torque app, it peaks at 23ishpsi at 2k just for a second then drops down to 22psi at tail 3k and then drops down to 21psi till 4k. Not sure if this is normal, plus there is sometimes the 'stutter' I've read of.

I'm thinking of getting it on the rollers, and if it isn't mapped just getting a bluefin on it. Would they need to code dpf removal in the map? As if I take off this 'map' if it is 'mapped' then could it possibly cause the dpf to go funny if it has been mapped out?

Any advice appreciated.

What do you mean you checked it on the app, do u mean you have a boost gauge in your car and can check it via an app?? Mines meant to be mapped but doesn't pull like I thought it would, I really hoped it was just like it is straight from factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ushuss

Oct 20, 2016
What do you mean you checked it on the app, do u mean you have a boost gauge in your car and can check it via an app?? Mines meant to be mapped but doesn't pull like I thought it would, I really hoped it was just like it is straight from factory

I checked it via obd using the torque app. I think it uses the boost sensor or something along them lines to check the boost pressure. The app then displays this. Again might doesn't seem to pull but it does make progress on the road. It's very strange.

Ushuss

Oct 20, 2016
Thought I'd update this. I RR'd the car today at tegiwa in stoke through another forum I'm with. Made a healthy 167.8bhp (corrected) engine was 169bhp. And 264lb/ft at torque. 134bhp at the wheels. This is using a maha dyno.

Stood behind the car there wasn't much black smoke. So I'll be opting for a bluefin and see if there is a difference in power.

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
Thought I'd update this. I RR'd the car today at tegiwa in stoke through another forum I'm with. Made a healthy 167.8bhp (corrected) engine was 169bhp. And 264lb/ft at torque. 134bhp at the wheels. This is using a maha dyno.

Stood behind the car there wasn't much black smoke. So I'll be opting for a bluefin and see if there is a difference in power.

So not mapped then?? 170 is the standard 2.0L FR
I took mine to be mapped and he said it already was because of some sealant that was around the ecu
Mine doesn't have any kind of smoke out the back either but I'm going to get it on the RR to see what bhp it is because it's pretty nippy but want to see how close to 200bhp it is

Noob question, new to this, what's this bluefin u are talking about??

Last edited:

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
I checked it via obd using the torque app. I think it uses the boost sensor or something along them lines to check the boost pressure. The app then displays this. Again might doesn't seem to pull but it does make progress on the road. It's very strange.

Sorry totally lost
No idea what the app is or where I get it
Mines meant to be mapped but would of thought it would be better if so
Seen vids on YouTube with mapped FR's doing 0-60mph and traction control light flashes like hell, I can't for the life of me get mine to flash although it does wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd
And no smoke what so ever comes out of my exhaust

Ushuss

Oct 20, 2016
So not mapped then?? 170 is the standard 2.0L FR
I took mine to be mapped and he said it already was because of some sealant that was around the ecu
Mine doesn't have any kind of smoke out the back either but I'm going to get it on the RR to see what bhp it is because it's pretty nippy but want to see how close to 200bhp it is

Noob question, new to this, what's this bluefin u are talking about??

Hi there, sorry for the late reply. I think the car was mapped but it was a very mild map and possibly one of those which are very eco in terms of power delivery. The torque peaked but dropped and you could feel this throughout the rev range.

A bluefin is a device made by superchips. I have got one and installed it and the car is a totally different beast. Boost is now held until 4krpm and pulls well in every gear. I did ask superchips if they could up the torque as mine has the dpf removed but they said they couldn't offer any more performance. It's a shame but I guess reliability and such comes into mind.

Sorry totally lost
No idea what the app is or where I get it
Mines meant to be mapped but would of thought it would be better if so
Seen vids on YouTube with mapped FR's doing 0-60mph and traction control light flashes like hell, I can't for the life of me get mine to flash although it does wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd
And no smoke what so ever comes out of my exhaust

The app is only for android based mobile phones. It's called torque. You need a obd2 Bluetooth device to plug into your obd port. Then connect that to torque. Seems like you have an iPhone which the app isn't available for. I'd start with getting it on the rollers personally and go from there.

Ushuss

Oct 20, 2016
Just thought I'd update this; had the car mapped and it's totally different to what it was standard. Doesn't feel flat and the boost holds really well until the redline.

Had it's MOT and passed emissions first time. If the DPF is removed, would the light still come on? My mate borrowed it and he said the light came on for him, however I tried to regen it on the motorway but no luck.

Really confused.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Just thought I'd update this; had the car mapped and it's totally different to what it was standard. Doesn't feel flat and the boost holds really well until the redline.

Had it's MOT and passed emissions first time. If the DPF is removed, would the light still come on? My mate borrowed it and he said the light came on for him, however I tried to regen it on the motorway but no luck.

Really confused.
Just a long shot, but the original map you referred to could have been to remove the dpf light . If it's showing up now you may need to go back to whoever mapped it this time round.

Ushuss

Oct 20, 2016
Just a long shot, but the original map you referred to could have been to remove the dpf light . If it's showing up now you may need to go back to whoever mapped it this time round.

I thought that too after reading other posts on here. Though, it used to come on ignition on the old map too. Now with the old map, I don't know whether it was a standard map or remap. Seemed more like an economy map, still can't be confirmed.

I'm not too bothered if it hasn't been removed because of these rumours flying about the new regulations about DPF's that will come in later this year. It's just nice to know.

GhulamAfzal11

Feb 14, 2017
Wakefield
I reckon the first map removed the DPF light and since you've mapped it then it'll be on again. Your best bet is to go to the guy who you just got it mapped from and ask if they can remove it if it bothers you.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.