Replacement Panel filter

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
So I've just come in from replacing the stock paper filter in my 280 with a Pipercross airfilter. But I noticed when i had the top off on my airbox that at the bottom of the airbox was what seemed to be a removable plastic layer. I would have thought removing that would give more airflow.

has anyone done this? does anyone know why it is there? would it be safe to remove it?
thoughts? potatoes?

sunny99

Feb 28, 2017
Stone, Staffordshire
i pulled it out a couple of hours ago. was hard to get the bugger out to be honest.

I replaced the stock panel filter for a K&N panel filter this evening. I saw this post a few days ago...do you mean the plastic grill looking piece underneath the filter? I tried pulling mine out...it had some play but i couldnt get it to shift!

Any tips? Thanks

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Does anyone know why it is there? Would it be safe to remove it?

I haven't see the part you are talking about on the Leon but other cars sometimes have a baffle in the air-box to alter the airflow into the box. If that's what it is then yes, you can safely remove it but doing so will either make the performance of the filter worse or you'll notice no difference.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
TBH panel filters are a waste of money. Spend the extra ££ and get a decent intake hose first of all, the turbo technics hose is good as well works well with the stock intake.

sunny99

Feb 28, 2017
Stone, Staffordshire
This is the first time I've put in a different panel to the manufacturer model. I wasn't expecting it to change the world, and i know there's an age old debate about whether they make any difference at all.

I'm not planning on doing too much to the hardware of my 280, I've got a BCS powervalve catback going on at the end of the month and I'll probably stop at that for a while. Maybe upgrade to the turbo back and then remap later on.

As for the filter, I was mainly after a little more noise more than performance. I can't say it sounds any different, when it first went in It had a louder intake noise but by the end of the run I couldn't tell. It does feel a little more responsive, moreso this morning. Although its probably more placebo effect, i had a little extra cash and reusing the filter will be good, I like going the extra mile with car maintenance so it gives me something else to nerd out about :rofl:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
This is the first time I've put in a different panel to the manufacturer model. I wasn't expecting it to change the world, and i know there's an age old debate about whether they make any difference at all.

I'm not planning on doing too much to the hardware of my 280, I've got a BCS powervalve catback going on at the end of the month and I'll probably stop at that for a while. Maybe upgrade to the turbo back and then remap later on.

As for the filter, I was mainly after a little more noise more than performance. I can't say it sounds any different, when it first went in It had a louder intake noise but by the end of the run I couldn't tell. It does feel a little more responsive, moreso this morning. Although its probably more placebo effect, i had a little extra cash and reusing the filter will be good, I like going the extra mile with car maintenance so it gives me something else to nerd out about :rofl:
Have you disconnected the sound generator?

sunny99

Feb 28, 2017
Stone, Staffordshire
Have you disconnected the sound generator?

It's on my list of things to do, I've had my cupra from new 18 months ago. I haven't touched it until doing the filter.

I've read about the options for disconnecting the sound actuator, I'd rather turn it off via software than unplugging the socket but I haven't asked about VCDS yet.

I can't hear the noise it makes but its probably obvious when its turned off. Videos don't capture the diff in noise very well either.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I knew a guy who had a turbocharged Nissan Primera with a cold-air intake low on the front bumper. He forgot about the intake one day, drove through flood water and that was the end of that engine.

The only way a filter can improve airflow is by reducing filtration. Mmm, tough choice...

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I knew a guy who had a turbocharged Nissan Primera with a cold-air intake low on the front bumper. He forgot about the intake one day, drove through flood water and that was the end of that engine.

The only way a filter can improve airflow is by reducing filtration. Mmm, tough choice...

Sure old Vauxhall Cavaliers were also like this, as years back a guy in my work was slowly going thru a flooded bit of road when a Transit van coming the other way drove fast and caused a bow wave of water right into his intake and f****d his engine.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.