Siren woo noise

Karganeth

May 1, 2016
I found a video on youtube of a seat altea xl making the exact same noise as mine.

[youtube]jk38F7j4LOU[/youtube]

Appears i cant post links so if you search on youtube by copy and pasting " Sifflement turbo 2.0 tdi 140 turbo hs? "
It will pop up. Its the first link.

The comments are in french but with the use of a translator ive gathered that the poster of the video seems to mention that it is caused by the deactivation of the egr valve.

My car is a 2007 seat altea xl 2.0 tdi with 61k miles on the clock.

Thanks

Last edited:

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
That is exactly the noise mine makes. Mine has an egr fault at the moment so gonna switch it out and see if it takes the noise away

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Karganeth

May 1, 2016
That is exactly the noise mine makes. Mine has an egr fault at the moment so gonna switch it out and see if it takes the noise away

Cheers Jay. That would be very helpful. Hopefully it fixes the issue for you. Fingers crossed.

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Mine has done this since I bought it 12 ,000 miles ago. Be interesting to see if that sorts it

Karganeth

May 1, 2016
Mine has done this since I bought it 12 ,000 miles ago. Be interesting to see if that sorts it

Mine has been like this for 8000 miles. I really hope it is the EGR as its a much cheaper fix compared to the talk of possible turbo. Eeek.

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Indeed the egr is diy the turbo is a big job!

Karganeth

May 1, 2016
Well not much to add but from what ive gathered the sound seems to be emitting from behind the engine unit. Is that where the turbo and boost hoses are?

Last edited:

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
I'll be doing my egr valve soon will let you know if it changes anything.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Keep us posted. We've just bought a 2010 2.0 140 tdi for my wife at 75k miles and it does this, especially when going from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th.

Last edited:

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Can't see that my message posted but did it this weekend and I'd say this is sorted with the replacement valve. Worth a clean up if nothing else!

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
9995ae52c4c9d52e487314c2c3fe5d20.jpg

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Hi Teeth, The only gaskets are from the pipe coming out of the side if that makes sense. (right side from the front. Other than that they have rubber seals embedded in them. I got two new gaskets with the new EGR but I dropped one into the engine and couldnt get it out so reused the old plasticy one that was in there... no leak sounds or anything so am comfortable with that. If you were worried I',m sure you could get a replacement gasket for pennies...

To clarify the noise I had was a constant whiney siren even at Idle and then up through the gears. The idle noise is 100% gone and looking at my EGR I'd say it wasn't closing and opening fully hence whistle of EG coming through. There is still a whistle from the turbo but I've constantly read on here about people having this for 100,000 miles with no issue... I did have a sticky turbo vein about 10k miles ago and cured it with the Forte Turbo cleaner through the fuel system never to return. If you are concerned maybe give the mr muscle treatment a go loads of videos on that working!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise