Falken Tyres - opinions

philmots

Jan 29, 2017
Leeds
Thanks for your worthwhile comment.

Of course you can show proof that you have tested a set of FK452's and an 'expensive' tyre back to back on a 350z and have factual, not subjective, evidence that the expensive tyre significantly outperforms the Falken?

In this application, I was a true sceptic and was proven wrong.

When it comes to spending money, I wouldn't be described as a tight arse BTW.

I've had 452's that I unfortunately inherited on an old 330i years ago, I replaced these with Michelin and the difference was night and day.

On my last car (rwd, lsd, 510hp) I had standard fit Dunlops that were terrible, a fellow owner replaced his Dunlops with whatever the current Falken is expecting an improvement, they were just as bad as the Dunlops in the wet but with no bite in the dry either.

Then when you look at the tyre tests they perform terribly. I simply can't see why you'd buy them over the best Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli other than to save money.

If anyone's wanting to save money on tyres though, then they're probably not bad for a budget choice, and that's fine.

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
To be fair it doesn't matter what you pick, as long as we all agree that the Bridgestones are complete ****

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
I've had 452's that I unfortunately inherited on an old 330i years ago, I replaced these with Michelin and the difference was night and day.

On my last car (rwd, lsd, 510hp) I had standard fit Dunlops that were terrible, a fellow owner replaced his Dunlops with whatever the current Falken is expecting an improvement, they were just as bad as the Dunlops in the wet but with no bite in the dry either.

Then when you look at the tyre tests they perform terribly. I simply can't see why you'd buy them over the best Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli other than to save money.

If anyone's wanting to save money on tyres though, then they're probably not bad for a budget choice, and that's fine.

Fair enough. Still feel it's horses for courses as the 350z crowd raved about them. I seem to remember there was an issue with the size for the fronts on the 350z which was a bit odd and Michelin didn't make a tyre that fitted exactly. As such you were restricted to the bridgestones which were awful or trying something different.

I agree that the ones in tyre tests never do well, though. I apologise for bringing a specific application to what was a general question.

By the way, my Cupra is on Michelin PSS's, why you would use anything else is beyond me. Great tyres!!

Keyzer Soze

Sep 18, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks for the opinions, it's just a 1.2 TSI daily runabout and I'm not as spirited a driver as I once was, so probably would be okay. Just to get opinions on another option, what are your thoughts on Michelin Cross Climates?

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset

I started to type a whole spiel about this. Then I thought, I can't be arsed. Each to their own.

The FK452s were equal to the Michelins on a Mk1 Leon TDI - wet or dry. And that's from experience. On a 350Z.... from experience. Up to you what you do with that info.

On a 1.2 TSI.... who knows.....:)

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
To be fair it doesn't matter what you pick, as long as we all agree that the Bridgestones are complete ****

Had the Turranza ER300 Ecopia on my Leon. Even with 5-7 mm tread, it would wheelspin on a 2.0TDI 150 in the Dry, and of course in the wet the TC kicks in all the time.

The Potenza RE050A on my Ibiza are much better, but maybe it 's also because it has less power...

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
I have bought a set of Falken Azenis FK510, these replaced the fk453's in Falkens line up. My main reason is it is looking likely I will be selling my car. Currently have my winters on and the original wheels are needing to be refurbished for the sale, didn't see the sense sticking on some lovely new Michelin's just to sell the car.

Will let you know how I get on seem to get good reviews compared to the old fk453's

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Auto-Bild-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Last edited:

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Three jobs back we had a Citroen fleet of C3, C4, C5 and DS4 and ran on Falken's at first replacement from new. We ran our fleet for 4 years or 100K. At the time my DS4 wheels meant only two suppliers could fit and these were both Premium tyres abut I ran a C4 for 5 months on Falkens and they handled everything I threw at them on the 1.6 diesel 104BHP

Last edited: