184 diesel FR for short journeys?

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
Hi Guys

I am well aware that diesels are not the best option for doing multiple short journeys due to the car not getting up to temperature and the dpf not burning off the soot however I need a new car in the next week as i'm leaving my current position where i have a company car and moving to a job where i need to purchase my own.

I am looking to spend about 12k on pcp or loan and have come across 2 x 2.0 184 Leon ST FR models which have a lot of appeal. However my new place of work is 4 miles each way, some journeys during the week will just entail commuting too and from work but other days I will also be out and about in Norfolk visiting customers. Is the diesel such a bad idea? I know the VAG CR DPF's are much better than they used to be.

I know you will all recommend the 1.4 tsi and i would love one but struggling to find one withing 70 miles and within budget. It has to be the Sports Tourer due to the boot size.

Regards

Mark

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Hi
I have the engine you're looking at, working about 3 miles from home so most days thats all I do but then a longer journey lets say once every two weeks and it all seems to be ok, had it for a year now :) so wouldnt worry about short journeys, just dont hammer it too much when you oversleep and the oil is cold haha :D

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
Hi
I have the engine you're looking at, working about 3 miles from home so most days thats all I do but then a longer journey lets say once every two weeks and it all seems to be ok, had it for a year now :) so wouldnt worry about short journeys, just dont hammer it too much when you oversleep and the oil is cold haha :D

Snap, well nearly snap because I'm 6 miles each way. Never had an issue.

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
Thanks guys and yes I've been looking for 1.8's too. I just don't have the luxury to wait a while unfortunately.

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
I've got the 184 diesel and only do 5-10 miles a day. It's fine as long as you give it a blast every now and again. I also use the paddles and Sport mode to keep revs high every so often to clean the dpf and it works a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
MPG however is no where near reported. Might as well be driving a TSI.

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
Nope. I'm lucky to get high 30's most days, usually mid to low 30's.

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
I know it's not great compared to the published figures but it's still miles better than the 25mpg I'd get in a Focus ST am considering.

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
Im in Norwich. See a FR 184 at Duff Morgan Seat in Norwich and one at Duff Morgan King's Lynn. I really don't need a diesel, it's only due to the time frame that I am looking at what I can buy over the next week. I guess i could just buy a banger and wait a while.

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
You should easily get 50mpg out of it. I do mine mind you I can get 95mpg out of my work bus ( 320ED) if I really take it steady and 80mpg is easy. On short runs 60mpg is doable.

Last edited:

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
I don't do the right kind of trips tbh. If I'm on a motorway trip I'll get high 40's or 50 with a push but short trips, school run, means I'm only getting mid 30's.

Love-Cupra

Jul 29, 2016
Netherlands
Hi Guys

I am well aware that diesels are not the best option for doing multiple short journeys due to the car not getting up to temperature and the dpf not burning off the soot however I need a new car in the next week as i'm leaving my current position where i have a company car and moving to a job where i need to purchase my own.

I am looking to spend about 12k on pcp or loan and have come across 2 x 2.0 184 Leon ST FR models which have a lot of appeal. However my new place of work is 4 miles each way, some journeys during the week will just entail commuting too and from work but other days I will also be out and about in Norfolk visiting customers. Is the diesel such a bad idea? I know the VAG CR DPF's are much better than they used to be.

I know you will all recommend the 1.4 tsi and i would love one but struggling to find one withing 70 miles and within budget. It has to be the Sports Tourer due to the boot size.

Regards

Mark

OK, as being an 'Out-of-the-box' person :

Why not go for a nice Cupra 280/290, abt 3 - 3,5 years of age ??
A delight to drive and much better with the low commuting distance.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
The diesel is not the right car for you. You seem to be buying on impulse just because you need a car. Buy petrol!

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
The diesel is not the right car for you. You seem to be buying on impulse just because you need a car. Buy petrol!

I did this. I purchased a 184 after me tooing and throwing the idea in my head. I acted on impulse because I wanted a new car. I should have waited but still I didn't. I then traded it in for a 1.8 petrol which suits me much better. And driving abit more carefully on one trip I got this for an mpg figure

96bdedec56c92d0272a681f744a1a965.jpg

Petrols also sound better. But that's personal opinion.

Also my 184 tried to regenerate (fans on) many times on my drive. This is from doing an occasional 60 mile trip to "give it a burn" as the dealers say. Didn't seem to work for me.
Though I'm not knocking the engine at all. Was very capable and the torque was lovely. Just not worth the potential dpf problems down the line IMO.