1.9 Tdi fuel

Gazza p

Feb 12, 2017
Has anyone tried running the 1.9 Tdi engine on a diesel & cooking oil mix, i usedto run it in my 06 mondeo TDci 2.2 & it was great smoother better starting and a noticable raise in power & less smoke on acceleration.

Last edited:

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Although most diesel sold in the UK has a low 5% biofuel mix, it's not recommended on Pump Duse engines as the nozzles are a lot smaller and injector damage / blockages can occur more easily.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
I ran cooking oil in an old Peugeot, you usually get 10% less power than Diesel.
When you first start running it the oil does a fantastic job of cleaning all the gunk and crap out of the fuel system, some people have noticed that when that happens the engine runs significantly better than before.

So it's not so much the fuel gives you more power, it's that it cleans the engine out so well you gain back power you had lost.

IIRC also on DI engines there were more problems with ring gumming than you'd get on IDI engines.

Last edited:

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
I read a lengthy set of stories when all this got popular a few years ago where a couple of fleets running Iveco and VW vans tried running on "bio-fuel", or used cooking oil as it was.

The Iveco fleet was knackered with ring and injector gumming, requiring several new engines and the VW fleets had similar problems.

The upshot of it was that the source of the oil varied and couldn't operate at the high temperatures involved in the high pressure environment of the injectors. VW and Mercedes recommended RME (I think) bio-fuel which is a specific grade of unused vegetable oil and additional fuel coolers in the system.

I'd say forget it.

However, some truck fleets are running methane conversions and Waitrose have gone over to CNG on some of their fleet. This might become a more appropriate conversion for modern diesels as the tech becomes more cost effective and is scaled down.

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Has anyone tried running the 1.9 Tdi engine on a diesel & cooking oil mix, i usedto run it in my 06 mondeo TDci 2.2 & it was great smoother better starting and a noticable raise in power & less smoke on acceleration.

The car worked fine but my chips were awful. :snack: