rear mudflaps

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Does anyone have rear mudflaps fitted? Do these reduce the rear end getting as dirty?

I had a look at the SG Petch site and they have std flaps or FR flaps. What's the difference?

http://seat-leon.sgpetch.co.uk/page...ory=ROOT-exterior/accessory=Mudflaps/id=16211

I don't have mudflats on my car but have had them on a number of previous cars that are the 'normal' hatchback shape. Rear mud flaps may help to stop the road spray a little and reduce accumulation of tar spots on the bodywork and stop stones being flicked up against the underside of the rear bumper, but they won't do much, if anything, to stop the back of the car getting dirty.

The shape of the back of most modern hatchback cars (vertical rear end) means that as the car moves through the air, a vacuum is created behind the car and dirt gets sucked onto the tailgate and rear window. in all honesty, the rear end my current car with no mudflaps gets no dirtier than previous cars I've owned that had mud flaps fitted.

dodds_turbo

OEM+ member
Sep 4, 2016
Edinburgh
I have front and rear mudflaps fitted to my FR. It's pretty dirty (all round) so I'll take some photos tomorrow morning to show the mudflaps, and if they help lessen the dirtiness of the rear of the car.

Last edited:

Xpo

May 7, 2016
Sweden
I have front and rear mudflaps on my Cupra that i got from the dealer. Silly expensive and i would say helps little(rear).

dodds_turbo

OEM+ member
Sep 4, 2016
Edinburgh
So the car isn't caked in mud, just a good layer of dust/grime. Doesn't really show up in photos. Here's the front and rear mudflaps, mine were fitted by the dealer as a freebie, I'm happy having them on as they are not too intrusive, will help (very slightly) reduce the dirt on the back of the car, but they also reduce water/spray being thrown up on the car behind you on the road.

E056C259-A9DE-4065-A56C-7194834DE7B7_zpsuiegndya.jpg

0EF137D1-9B79-4DA5-9F9A-BADACE6B12F8_zpsbkuoalsv.jpg

EC2D4D28-88FB-4595-8BBC-E4A394BECCB7_zpsgeuzm8sl.jpg

ACB9AC60-2DE5-4237-8494-E2EBED0E1D7C_zpszmztiitx.jpg

DF51651D-E229-45AA-9991-108F4AF9C75A_zpsseluyxwv.jpg

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
So the car isn't caked in mud, just a good layer of dust/grime. Doesn't really show up in photos. Here's the front and rear mudflaps, mine were fitted by the dealer as a freebie, I'm happy having them on as they are not too intrusive, will help (very slightly) reduce the dirt on the back of the car, but they also reduce water/spray being thrown up on the car behind you on the road.

Reducing road spray that might affect following motorists is probably the main benefit of the rear mudflaps. The Leon rear mudflaps are very short, so IMO the effectiveness of reducing the amount of water spray coming up from the rear wheels wil be limited.

In my experience of having hatchback cars both with and without mudflaps, The rear screen and tailgate get equally as grimy when driving on dirty, wet roads, whether mudflaps are fitted or not. It's down to the shape of the car and the air turbulence created behind the car when it's being driven.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I've found that the rear screen doesn't get quite as dirty as it did before fitting flaps, only going by the amount of rear wiper use though.

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
The great thing about Monsoon Grey is that even after a thorough wash my car doesn't look any cleaner. [B)]

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members