Best tyres

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
Currently on potenza,good for 2more seasons.
Friend of mine recomends me toyo proxes sport s1.any experience with toyo?

VAG Familia

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
Currently on potenza,good for 2more seasons.
Friend of mine recomends me toyo proxes sport s1.any experience with toyo?

VAG Familia

Decent grip in the dry but they're very soft, so don't expect them to last long.

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
Been living with the Dunlop 2's now for less than a year. Very impressed at first but the goldilocks zone seemed to fade quickly. Found them to wear quickly as I'm sure I've done less than 10000 miles since fitting front ones. Alas now I find myself salivating over the talk of the Michelin 4's. My trouble is my rear Dunlops are still in fine condition (about 7-8 mil of tred left) I should be OK to put the Michelins on the front with the Dunlops on the rear right? They are both high performance tyres after all. And no I do not rotate my tyres I dont have the time inclination or equipment to do so. Not yet at least. Probably gonna go ahead and do this anyway but interested in your opinions.

Chuggs1

Sep 22, 2016
Does anyone know pressure for front and rear for P zeros... thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Been living with the Dunlop 2's now for less than a year. Very impressed at first but the goldilocks zone seemed to fade quickly. Found them to wear quickly as I'm sure I've done less than 10000 miles since fitting front ones. Alas now I find myself salivating over the talk of the Michelin 4's. My trouble is my rear Dunlops are still in fine condition (about 7-8 mil of tred left) I should be OK to put the Michelins on the front with the Dunlops on the rear right? They are both high performance tyres after all. And no I do not rotate my tyres I dont have the time inclination or equipment to do so. Not yet at least. Probably gonna go ahead and do this anyway but interested in your opinions.

Which tyre is this sorry?

Biggest issue i have with MPS 4 is that the speed rating only goes up to V on my car when factory it's tested on both W and Y, so putting anything less than W is bad move and will probably mean the tyres wear super fast or at worse invalidate insurance.

Last edited:

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Which tyres are the quietest? I drive like a granny and don't like my afternoon nap disturbed. :sleeping:

Honestly, anything that is soft, wide, has a high weight load profile and and is as a smaller wheel as possible. For example a 15inch rim all seasons, soft XL 94 or above profile tyre with plenty of width will be vastly quieter than a thin, 19inch, hard, low load tyre for example.

Last edited:

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Anything soft then :p, beware of wear though, you want to kinda balance out wear and noise and grip which can be a ball ache.

For me, PS4S are simply to unviable in terms of speed index. Unless anyone can offer me a better suggestion than the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 for all round performance, wear, dry/wet grip and handling with a good index, im booking those in for addition asap :), i know a lot of it is preference but, they are highly recommended so far.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Anything soft then :p, beware of wear though, you want to kinda balance out wear and noise and grip which can be a ball ache.

For me, PS4S are simply to unviable in terms of speed index. Unless anyone can offer me a better suggestion than the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 for all round performance, wear, dry/wet grip and handling with a good index, im booking those in for addition asap :), i know a lot of it is preference but, they are highly recommended so far.

Which size tyre are you fitting to yours out of interest? It would be strange for Michelin to produce a speed rating lower than the Dunlops in the same size, when they are both 'performance' tyres.

Last edited:

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 seem to be ones for the quiet life at 68 dB.
Btw can anyone explain how decibels work? :think:

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Which size tyre are you fitting to yours out of interest? It would be strange for Michelin to produce a speed rating lower than the Dunlops in the same size, when they are both 'performance' tyres.

225/45/r17/W with 91 load index is my stock tyres which are my bridgestones, besides going for "XL" 94 load tyres, the only 91 options in my tyre for MPS4 is this one: http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-sport-4/225/45/R17/V/91/f?tyre=35733676 which is as you said, rather odd as it's V. No matter though, RTs booked for Thursday :).

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 seem to be ones for the quiet life at 68 dB.
Btw can anyone explain how decibels work? :think:

Erm :shrug: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Lol, in short, most tyres from 65-75 you are looking at 75db being about 6x as loud as a 65db tyre as i believe to keep it simple every 3db increase is a "double" in noise volume levels.

So in my case from BS T001s to my Duns RTs2, it'll be about 50% quieter :).

Last edited:

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Thanks for your suggestion - Not! I have opened Pandora's can of worms and my head hurts! :headhurt:
I've learnt from Wikipedia that there are two decibel systems, one used in electronics to measure power amplification where 10 dB equates to 10 times the power and 3 dB approximates to twice the power. :laser:
Noise measurements, however, use the second system ('Field' or 'Amplitude') where 20 dB equates to 10 times as loud and 6 dB approximates to twice as loud. :blahblah:
The tyres I'm considering vary from 68 dB to 72 dB which are about one and a half times louder.
This satisfies my sense of 'rightness' in terms of what tyres are made of (rubber) and what they do (roll around) and that there is a significant but not huge difference in noise levels. :think:

Last edited:

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
I went on a math forum and for tyres they said it would be field measurement of 3db equaling "double" in power :shrug: so i went with that!

In all honestly though there will not be a huge a difference. If you have a loud tyre, you will notice it being loud especially if you have large rims, if you have a quiet tyre, you will notice it being quieter especially if you have a soft compound/smaller rim.

Finally, i asked a friend this morning which was suprisingly helpful, he said he had 71db tyre that was a PIrelli P7 Cenurato (r17/Y) and he then switched later on to a 68 Goodyear Eagle ASY 3 and it said the 68tyre was "noticably quieter on motorways and A roads, if not maybe lacking a bit of sidewall durability compared to the P7" so there you go i suppose that is the best answer you can relate to xD.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Thanks for your suggestion - Not! I have opened Pandora's can of worms and my head hurts! :headhurt:
I've learnt from Wikipedia that there are two decibel systems, one used in electronics to measure power amplification where 10 dB equates to 10 times the power and 3 dB approximates to twice the power. :laser:
Noise measurements, however, use the second system ('Field' or 'Amplitude') where 20 dB equates to 10 times as loud and 6 dB approximates to twice as loud. :blahblah:
The tyres I'm considering vary from 68 dB to 72 dB which are about one and a half times louder.
This satisfies my sense of 'rightness' in terms of what tyres are made of (rubber) and what they do (roll around) and that there is a significant but not huge difference in noise levels. :think:

just get the tyres you want and then buy a set of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pairs-Howard-Leight-Laser-Plugs/dp/B0007XJOLG I find them extremely useful both at work and as an 'anti nag' device at home... :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members