DIY hardwire dashcam installation

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
As in the side for the fuse box?

Use something with a blunt edge and just gently prize it off. There's about 3 clips from memory but they are metal so you'll be fine. Most annoying part is putting the panel back on and having to get it under the door seal.

You don't actually need to remove the top of the A pillar either, if your using the thin usb it can be pushed it if you just use something blunt to pull it open slightly.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
All fitted in about 30 mins. Only issue was two of the metal clips that hold the side panel in fell down inside the dash and I couldn't get them back. Panel still holds in place just not as tight as before.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
All fitted in about 30 mins. Only issue was two of the metal clips that hold the side panel in fell down inside the dash and I couldn't get them back. Panel still holds in place just not as tight as before.

Yeah right pain they are. Had to remove bottom panel and more to get mine back. Found making them a tighter fit on the end that clip on the lug helped. Got fed up in the end and my panel has been off for months!

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Panel removal seems to be somewhat problematic. Don't think I will bother even trying.
Side panel problems and rather strange location of 12V Power socket will just have to mean no dash cam on the Mk3 Leon :

Last edited:

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Well I'm swinging the other way and currently deciding which dash cam to go for. Doubt I will go for a 2ch varients. Blackvue 650 seems decent but rather pricey.
Will definitely be hardwiring the cam and prob go for the power magic pro for parking surveillance.

Last edited:

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
Well I'm swinging the other way and currently deciding which dash cam to go for. Doubt I will go for a 2ch varients. Blackvue 650 seems decent but rather pricey.
Will definitely be hardwiring the cam and prob go for the power magic pro for parking surveillance.

Power Magic Pro is definitely worth it. Got one with my blackvue and works really well.
Need to remove it really ready for the change of car.

isalopek

Aug 25, 2016
Can you just put a dummy fuse in some of the blank places? By me fuse 34 is empty, and i put it into it :)

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Can you just put a dummy fuse in some of the blank places? By me fuse 34 is empty, and i put it into it :)

Completely blank or just one terminal?

The fully wired use locations have two terminals as it should be with the fuse completing the circuit. The add on fuse is a piggy back on an existing circuit.

Some of the unused fuse locations have either a live or switched live terminal with nothing in the other slot. These are meant to be retro fitted with a kit to complete a circuit but what you can do is plug in an add a fuse and use it in the same way, as long as it has an earth (neg) back to chassis. Ie a 5v converter.

Munkie

Jan 16, 2017
Stalled at step one removing the glovebox how's it done

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Just push the sides in. The difficult part is popping off the side panel without losing the clips!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Munkie

Jan 16, 2017
Ah easy by pushing both outer panels out and the glovebox sides inwards. Didn't want to break it thanks for the quick reply to help. Now to read the rest

Munkie

Jan 16, 2017
Done after having to replace the nextbase cable which was a mini fuse adapter not the full size kind. Surprised that the black dotted area behind the mirror isn't textured so managed to stick onto that area and camera discretely sits behind mirror.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Done after having to replace the nextbase cable which was a mini fuse adapter not the full size kind. Surprised that the black dotted area behind the mirror isn't textured so managed to stick onto that area and camera discretely sits behind mirror.

Glad to hear it. Just depends which circuit you wish to use if you need a standard or mini fuse adaptor. Discrete is the way to go. I have one hidden either side of the mirror. :)

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Black dotted area behind the mirror my not be textured but for some reason my dashcam suction mount will not stay put and eventually falls off :-(
However immediately outside the dotted area the mount is firmly attached and even after "unclamping" it is a devil to detach it from the windscreen.

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015

Black dotted area behind the mirror my not be textured but for some reason my dashcam suction mount will not stay put and eventually falls off :-(
However immediately outside the dotted area the mount is firmly attached and even after "unclamping" it is a devil to detach it from the windscreen.

See page one of this guide, half way down the first post. It's painted black with a dotty pattern. ;)

A suction mount won't stick because the dots, although quite smooth break the seal on the glass. '3M' pads that come with dash cams stick dependent on size and quailty, but many are not genuine 3m VHB.

I use an Avon brand version of 3M VHB and it sticks anything to anything!

Last edited:

Munkie

Jan 16, 2017
See page one of this guide, half way down the first post. It's painted black with a dotty pattern. ;)

A suction mount won't stick because the dots, although quite smooth break the seal on the glass. '3M' pads that come with dash cams stick dependent on size and quailty, but many are not genuine 3m VHB.

I use an Avon brand version of 3M VHB and it sticks anything to anything!
The dotted area is just normal glass on mine but with the appearance that it's raised dots. Just a normal nextbase suction mount and it's got a grip. In my last car the area was raised and it wouldn't even stick for a second.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.