Sat-Nav

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Hi,

So I've had my Leon for about 6 weeks now.
Now, I didn't buy it for the sat-nav and I'll rarely use it however I've gave it a go a few times on routes I know well just to see how it's got on and it's pretty poor.

It's taken me on bonkers routes along minor single track roads and it's directed me down dead end roads. Is the previous owner playing a trick on me and set it to 'most bizarre route possible'?

My only comparison is with a 10 year old Garmin unit which I occassionally used and was faultless.

Is the Leon setup known for being poor?

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Not experienced any problems with mine and used a few times. Have you got multiple routes to choose from? It might be taking the most direct route and you simply need to change it to another option? Theres an option to bring up mutiple routes before selecting the desired one.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
It's in the sat nav setting menu. Once you've programmed a destination it calculates multiple routes and displays 3 of them on the right hand side if the screen and you have to select your preferred one.

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
It's not the best, but, I find it perfectly usable. A couple of times the routes it's taken me weren't amazing compared to my old Tomtom, but they were perfectly acceptable routes.

chris2209

Apr 19, 2016
It should calculate three options, fastest route (red), shortest route (yellow), and most fuel efficient route (blue). Typically the fastest route might be a lot longer but using motorways, whereas the shortest option will take you down allsorts of small roads. I think the most efficient route is somewhere inbetween, ie sticking to major roads but keeping fairly direct to avoid excessive mileage.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Matt_Beaky

Dec 3, 2016
Surrey, UK
I've not had any route problems myself. I used to have it display the 3 different routes, but always found myself choosing the fastest route, so now just have it set to that.

My frustration with the sat nav is that it takes ages to imput an address. Pressing the postcode button twice and then having to put everything in. Bit long winded!

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
After a year of ownership, I still haven't mastered the sat nav, however I don't really go to many 'new' destinations. If we do, we use my partner's Garmin as it seems more straightforward and still gets us there OK.

One thing I noticed with the SEAT sat nav is that it didn't allow me to enter the very last letter of a postcode, as if that postcode doesn't exist. I got the postcode from a shopping mall website and copied it exactly.

andy295

Leon FR EcoTSI 150
Feb 16, 2017
I've only had my Leon a few days. But so far, using Google Maps using the AndroidLink is looking the better option. You can use voice activation to enter the location and you can say things like the name of a business, shop or pub rather than the postcode. And the computer-generated voice is a lot less annoying! But you don't get the next turn showing next to the speedo.

chris2209

Apr 19, 2016
I've only had my Leon a few days. But so far, using Google Maps using the AndroidLink is looking the better option. You can use voice activation to enter the location and you can say things like the name of a business, shop or pub rather than the postcode. And the computer-generated voice is a lot less annoying! But you don't get the next turn showing next to the speedo.
Does it close the map when you start moving? I couldn't get mine to work

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
I've just purchased a 2014 leon myself and was pleased to see the satnav was part of the tech pack. I'm not the kind of person to rely on sat navs myself. Im a good map reader and have a good sense of direction. But when it comes down to streets in new towns and cities obviously id be lost.

Anyway.... I gave the one built in to the car a test the other day while driving, even gave it voice commands and after inputting it and checking the route it did take what i considered to be the best route to my destination. But ive only used it once. Can't see it being used often but im a proper map geek so ill end up checking its route beforehand anyway.

italianjob

Oct 21, 2014
Middlesbrough
I've found the sat nav to be pretty faultless. It took me a while to learn to trust it when diversions came up due to accidents and traffic. Mine defaults to the fastest route and is pretty good.

I'm so glad they removed the need to add spaces in the postcode entry!!! It's little things like this that make it much nicer to use. What I don't like is the pinch to zoom on the screen - it is awful and requires more attention to the screen which is a distraction.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
...One thing I noticed with the SEAT sat nav is that it didn't allow me to enter the very last letter of a postcode, as if that postcode doesn't exist.
I get that sometimes too. When it happens I've found adding the space between the first group and second group allows the full postcode to be entered (MY16 nav).

The nav is ok, it's a bit clunky in use. The interface and easy of use is way behind my 10 year old Garmin too, like just about every modern car tbh.

Pops848

Mar 29, 2017
I'm surprised people are reporting that stand alone Garmin devices are better, I was lead to believe that the nav is powered by garmin, so should be the same?

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
so I had a quick play about with the set up.
The 'suggest 3 routes' had been switched off, that's why I didn't see that. Switched that on now.

mcmul

Mar 13, 2017
I haven't experienced any dodgy routes so far but I will say, compared to Google, it's bloody awful at predicting traffic or arrival times. I took it to the Trafford Centre in Manchester the first day I collected it. None stop, grid-locked traffic from Sandbach to Warrington. Nav reckoned it was an extra 10-15 minutes. Crazy

It's a really nice mapping UI though, I leave it on the nav even when it's not being used.

Pops848

Mar 29, 2017
I haven't experienced any dodgy routes so far but I will say, compared to Google, it's bloody awful at predicting traffic or arrival times. I took it to the Trafford Centre in Manchester the first day I collected it. None stop, grid-locked traffic from Sandbach to Warrington. Nav reckoned it was an extra 10-15 minutes. Crazy

It's a really nice mapping UI though, I leave it on the nav even when it's not being used.

I'll second this, I was driving home yesterday on the M25 and it despite that the traffic had picked up 3 reports it didn't associate any of them with my journey home.

I tend to use sat nav as a guide, prefer to only really use it on side roads when I don't know my way but travelling long distance I prefer to use road signs and know my way, too many people are addicted to sat nav and don't actually know where they are going despite it being written above their heads

andy295

Leon FR EcoTSI 150
Feb 16, 2017
Does it close the map when you start moving? I couldn't get mine to work

No, it stays on when I've used it.

Being Google, it knew that the main road near my work was closed for roadworks and took me a different route. The built-in one doesn't do that.

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
I prefer my very old TomTom. The Seat SatNav is too lengthy with its words e.g to to make it sound polite. I thought I read somewhere that you can change the verbal instructions to a more concise version but maybe that was with a previous car as I cant find it in the menu now. Anyone else think the same?
It is also slower than my 12 year old TomTom to react to turnings and display the visual display correctly, especially important if you have 2 turnings in quick succesion.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.