Flashing Glow Plug light

ruud

Nov 9, 2016
Long story short, well shortened...

Glow Plug light started flashing last summer, usually when car was warmed up and in heavy traffic, so stop start after a long run. Goes into limp mode and could initially be reset by turning the car on and off. Carried this on for a while before it just came on all the time. Had a friend of mine flush the EGR and turbo with a carbon clean (similar to Terraclean as he does that too) and it solved the issue until today. Similar symptoms - run up to Brands Hatch and then moving through the car park when Glow Plug light comes on.

I'm looking now at the N75 value and the Wastegate Actuator as possible faults as I know when I code it tomorrow that I'll get the same 'Boost Pressure Sensor' (or whatever it was previously)?!)

Any ideas welcome. I know this has been discussed on the Audi Forums in some depth!

:help:

Edit: After a night of research I could also look at changing the EGR valve and the Cooler itself - however this is starting to get expensive now parts wise!

Last edited:

ruud

Nov 9, 2016
Not this time, last summer when it occurred initially I had it scanned. From memory its the 'Over Boost…' something or other, but I'll probably get it scanned tonight to see if the fault is still there? Will it store the fault even if the light has gone off?

ruud

Nov 9, 2016
So I got 2 fault codes...

P0047 - Boost Pressure Control Valve Solenoid: Short to ground

P069A - ECM Power Relay Load Circuit

I've replaced the Boost Pressure Solenoid (and the MAP sensor as I bought the wrong part initially!) and it made no difference. Get car up to temp and then go back to 'town' driving and the Glow Plug light flashes away.

Could it be the wiring to the sensor as I'm assuming fault 2 is related to fault 1?

Liking cars

Apr 11, 2017
I have same problem glow plug light flashing but now my battery like to think it is dead all the time but works on my girlfriends car but not mine
Try get your wiring tested with a voltmeter

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
I recently had a wiring issue, initially came up with an injector fault, this was replaced by Seat to no avail, it was then said it must be the wiring from the ECU to the injector must be at fault. This was rewired by Seat but still didn't get rid of the problem and was then diagnosed as the ECU was faulty and needed to be replaced.

Long story cut short, the car was taken to an independent garage the ECU sent of for testing and came back fine. 2 weeks later car was repaired. Some pins had failed on one of the engine looms and had to be replaced.

ruud

Nov 9, 2016
After some investigative work...

There was an exposed cable in part of the wiring loom that lead to the connector of the N75 valve. Taped and moved away from where it was rubbing and I hope this is going to be it. Test run tomorrow to get the car up to temp to find out!

ruud

Nov 9, 2016
Sorry - forgot to take any photos!

It was an annoyingly simple fix and something I probably should have picked up from the fault code showing a Short to Ground as opposed to a fault in the Boost Valve or Solenoid.