What you need to install an aftermarket stereo in Mk2 Leon

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
I have my connect 2 cable, all OK. Can anyone tell me which are the SWC cables that I need to connect to the patch lead (and how) for the stearing wheel controls please?

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Excellent, on that link I gave to the Connects2 site before
http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSST001.2

If you scroll down on the left you will see this list, the trick is knowing which one (if any) will work with your unit
Headunit connection lead
Manufacturer ProductNo
Blaupunkt CTBLAUPUNKTLEAD
JVC CTJVC2LEAD
Kenwood CTKENWOODLEAD
Kenwood CTKENWOODLEAD2
LG CTLGLEAD
Panasonic CTPANASONICLEAD
Pioneer CTPIONEERLEAD
Sony CTSONYLEAD
Zenec CTZENECLEAD
Parrot CTASTEROIDLEAD.3
Philips CTPHILIPSLEAD
Nakamichi CTNAKAMICHILEAD

Last edited:

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
If you scroll down on the left you will see this list, the trick is knowing which one (if any) will work with your unit

Thanks for the reply and I must apologize as I still don't know which cables from the LEON I need to connect. I have to do a search for my lead as it isnt in that list but the Xtrons guide says

Thank you for purchasing an Xtrons Multimedia Stereo, Xtrons units are compatible with vehicles that have analogue steering controls (SWC), some additional wiring is required.

- With the help of a multi-meter locate the + and - SWC cables from your vehicle.
- Connect the + and - Key wires on the supplied SWC cable (all vehicles are different some have only 1 live others have 2)

If your vehicle has digital steering controls you will require an ISO harness with steering interface and patch lead. We recommend using connects2 adapters with CTCHINAHULEAD the patch lead should then be connected as above.
I need to know which are those cables from the LEON connects to the CTCHINAHULEAD patch lead.

One more thing, did you use a cage with your install at all Saint?

Last edited:

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
The plastic plug of the patch lead will go into the module that should be on the Connects2 harness, the middle, rectangular thing in the picture and the wires at the other end of the patch lead connect to the relevant SWC cables coming out of the XTRONS unit

CTSST001.2.jpg

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
The plastic plug of the patch lead will go into the module that should be on the Connects2 harness, the middle, rectangular thing in the picture and the wires at the other end of the patch lead connect to the relevant SWC cables coming out of the XTRONS unit

CTSST001.2.jpg

Thanks again you are speedy. The confusion is because the Xtrons support page as posted above advised to

'locate the + and - SWC cables from your vehicle.'

not from the Xtrons unit. I thought it meant the cables were within the SEAT connector.

Did you need a cage for your install?

Last edited:

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Sorry I missed the Double Din cage question, yes I should have listed that in my list of items to install as seen from the video. Mine was about £9 on EBay, the one original purchase that I didn't have subsequent issues with.

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
Last edited:

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Right, I think I know what is going on, do you have one of the garbage fascias like I wave around in my video at about 35 seconds? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNy4gZFnzyI
I explain why these are rubbish, if you watch my video you will see how the adaptor you say won't fit works.
You need to throw away that fascia and get the proper Leon part as I did, they can be sourced via someone called Dave on this forum.

I feel your pain, I made all the same mistakes.

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
Right, I think I know what is going on, do you have one of the garbage fascias like I wave around in my video at about 35 seconds? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNy4gZFnzyI
I explain why these are rubbish, if you watch my video you will see how the adaptor you say won't fit works.
You need to throw away that fascia and get the proper Leon part as I did, they can be sourced via someone called Dave on this forum.

I feel your pain, I made all the same mistakes.

I bought one from seremotors Dave who have supplied a few people on here

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4713491#post4713491

Last edited:

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
So is it the genuine Seat part or is it like the one I am waving about in my video at 35 seconds ? I thought Dave only did the genuine Seat part and what is in your photos doesn't look like the Seat part.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Looking at the pic, I am guessing the top photo is of the head unit WITHOUT the facia I supplied.
Oneill advised me that the head unit was double-din so I sent the facia in the bottom photo.
The issue is with the head unit, not the facia.
Either the head unit has a detachable outer surround which will make it double-din, or it needs the satnav RNS-type facia, or it just isn't compatible with either genuine SEAT facia.
To be fair, I asked all these questions before sending the part and supplied what I was asked for.
Dave

Last edited:

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
Looking at the pic, I am guessing the top photo is of the head unit WITHOUT the facia I supplied.
Oneill advised me that the head unit was double-din so I sent the facia in the bottom photo.
The issue is with the head unit, not the facia.
Either the head unit has a detachable outer surround which will make it double-din, or it needs the satnav RNS-type facia, or it just isn't compatible with either genuine SEAT facia.
To be fair, I asked all these questions before sending the part and supplied what I was asked for.
Dave

You did Dave and I did check with Xtrons who told me it was standard double din and would fit any car that takes double din.

Take some physical measurements of the width and and height of the face on that stereo and post back what they are.

102 x 177 x 19mm

I dont understand how it could be the unit as it doesnt really connect to the VW fascia and is easliy put through fasica. And the top pic that Dave has refered to, the VW fascia appears to sit the same as yours Saint before putting the Seat fascia on. If I take the unit out and just put the 2 fascias together they sit exactly the same as per my 2nd image down with me holding the fascias from the side, the top fascia needs to go in another inch and half before connecting to the clips.
Could it be that somehow I'm not fitting these as they are meant to be?

Last edited:

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
3 further pictures to illustrate it is not the unit.

the entry area
1y6ex2.jpg

the VW fascia inserted
2hickdl.jpg

Seat fascia sitting on top of the VW fascia
301cx7n.jpg

So is this the wrong VW fascia or isnt that how it is all arranged? Seems like a similar issue to Tfsi_Mike back on page 3.

Ive just noticed your genuine Seat fascia is different from mine Saint. Look at the top opening on my fascia, it has an indentation while yours (picture below) is flat all over.

23k28p3.jpg

Last edited:

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
OK, firstly no offence was meant to Dave who was supplying what he was asked for but the fascia you have is the kind you use if you don't do the job properly in my opinion. Again I have to mention my video, I screwed in the VW bracket that you are saying doesn't fit, inserted the Double Din cage into that then my headunit - at the time I made that video I was awaiting the genuine Seat fascia. After it arrived the result was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spw-H6yfrh8
So basically there is nothing wrong with the VW adaptor bracket - what that does is make an irregular sized hole into a standard double din size.
The fascia adaptor you have from Dave presumably also can accept a double din cage, I just wouldn't use a fascia like that having been sent one, the colour match was very poor and I would have had to prise out the inserts of the receivers.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Ive just noticed your genuine Seat fascia is different from mine Saint. Look at the top opening on my fascia, it has an indentation while yours (picture below) is flat all over.

23k28p3.jpg

The_Saint has the fascia that is designed to go around the VAG RNS satnav systems (see this picture). These have part number 1P2858071. You have the standard double DIN fascia which is part number 1P2858063.

It looks like you are trying to fit the fascia that Dave supplied you with (part number 1P2858063) over the top of this adapter...

2hickdl.jpg

You can't do that. You either need to use the fascia that Dave supplied on it's own (you then put the double DIN cage that came with your stereo into that) which means you don't use that adapter at all, or you need to use that adapter in conjunction with the RNS satnav surround as per what The_Saint is using (part number 1P2858071).

What bothers me though is that your stereo seems to be too small for, and rattling around in that adapter anyway, so even if you got the RNS satnav surround (part number 1P2858071) to go over the adapter, your stereo still doesn't look like it fits properly in that adapter, or have you just not fitted the cage into it that came with your stereo?

9i8f39.jpg

Last edited:

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
Well thanks for tidying that up, that explains and I didnt realise there were 2 different geniune fascias (saints looks a tidier finish then). I don't have a cage yet I am deciding whether to get one or a workaround that's why its loose for the moment.
BTW where would I order that part assuming I cant get it from Dave?

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members