Would you buy another Mk3 Leon

• Yes

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 19.7%

• Total voters

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
same here,never drove one,but in a few weeks I'm gonna start learning the missus how to drive so prob best stick to a manual for the time being lol!!not looking forward to her stepping in my new shiny leon tho.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
This is my 2nd, upgraded from se dynamic technology to my current 201u spec FR 1.4 150 and I love it. Only had it a couple of weeks but experienced none of the problems listed in either of my mk3s.

snuffle_uk

Sep 25, 2016
Voted no, but not because of any dislike of my car, i love it (65 plate 2.0 TDI 150 FR). It's just because I'd like my next car to have a bit more prestige. I'd prefer an A3 even though it's more expensive and even though i know a Leon is very similar.

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
I think theres always gonna be a bad car out of a bunch unfortunately and that goes for any car manufacturer.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
I think theres always gonna be a bad car out of a bunch unfortunately and that goes for any car manufacturer.

Totally agree. I voted no on this poll, but out of the three SEATs I've had over the years the last one was the only one with issues. Perhaps because it was a very early ST?

I wouldn't buy a other purely because of personal preference and the things I want in a car have changed, not cause it's a bad car in general. The terrible dealership​ service made it easier to justify looking elsewhere too.

Last edited:

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
I've had the FR TDI 150 for just over a year now and really like it, although I'd go for a petrol version next time. I had sound-proofing put in the doors, which cured the rattles, lessened road noise and improved the sound of the standard stereo immeasurably. Plus, it looks fantastic - when it's clean. I also have a Mk1 Audi TT V6 and wish it had the seats from the Leon, which fit me perfectly!

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
I'd buy another Cupra, but not the Black Edition.

I find the wheels a total pain to keep clean and the gloss black finish is too easily scratched with an alloy wheel brush.

The bucket seats are fine but not massively better than the standard ones.

In two years time I may but a standard Cupra ST.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
Manual, never drove an automatic, this is just my 2nd car but I would like to try it as lots of positive comments around :)

I've only ever owned manuals but driven plenty of auto boxes, really happy with the DSG on my 290, it does make me a slightly more impatient driver though.

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth

I find the wheels a total pain to keep clean and the gloss black finish is too easily scratched with an alloy wheel brush.

I'd definitely have another Cupra, but would probably be just as happy in the FR.

I've not had any issues in 7,000 miles apart from the Apple CarPlay not linking up every time. No rattles (yet). I do find myself watching the quality of the road more diligently than my previous 20 or so cars, because you know you've hit a pothole with the 19s! .......and the BE wheels are a nightmare to clean, I agree.

I've just been down to Bristol and back in a day (200 miles) and found the buckets really comfortable. Also checked the mpg as I got near home and it said 40.6. Wasn't particularly trying. Got to be happy with that.

It's a great, fun car, quicker than most things across country and really versatile. I'm so pleased I chose it and have no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
The worst car I ever had for back pain was a BMW 320 - the pedals are slightly offset to one side because of the transmission tunnel. Closely followed by my BMW 525.

This is my second Leon and you need to take the time to get the seat adjusted to your shape. Every time my car goes for work to be done, the sest is moved - I can tell because my back starts to throb in the lumbar region. I regularly drive 300mile round trips and find, properly adjusted, the seats are just right.

As to noise, at times it can be wearing, but only after an exhausting day. My wife and I chat even doing 80 on the A34's dreadful chippings based surface

Mine's a Cupra 280 (bhp/tonne) with Michelin PSS tyres, btw..

Last edited:

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
I'd definitely have another Cupra, but would probably be just as happy in the FR.

I've not had any issues in 7,000 miles apart from the Apple CarPlay not linking up every time. No rattles (yet). I do find myself watching the quality of the road more diligently than my previous 20 or so cars, because you know you've hit a pothole with the 19s! .......and the BE wheels are a nightmare to clean, I agree.

I've just been down to Bristol and back in a day (200 miles) and found the buckets really comfortable. Also checked the mpg as I got near home and it said 40.6. Wasn't particularly trying, but had the mrs with me, if you know what I mean? Got to be happy with that.

It's a great, fun car, quicker than most things across country and really versatile. I'm so pleased I chose it and have no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40MPG gives me a little bit of hope. Currently on motorways I'm averaging 33-34 but I only have 1500 miles on the car. What MPG do you get in heavy traffic? Currently filling my car every 9-10 days.

iNowack

Feb 23, 2017
Belgrade
I've had my 2016 FR TDI 160 for about 6 months now, during that time i've noticed suspension creaks only when im entering to car in garage when its very silent. Also have has some electrical problems with my dash : needles wont light , this happens twice but all in all thats all so far and i really like it.

I'd buy another one for sure but would be looking for Cupra ST

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
I would have another.

17 months/15000 miles. No faults or failures.

Just the little rattles and it could have more sound proofing. Will sort those out in the next month or two.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

Can't comment on the facelift wheels but the standard alloys on the 280 were almost as bad to clean as the BE ones, and the painted bits did scratch with a brush ( I know! :cry: ) I agree the BE ones are a pita, but I find a decent wheel cleaner , plus a VERY soft cloth brings them up, then if you are feeling really energetic some rim wax ( I use Poorboy's pink stuff)
40MPG gives me a little bit of hope. Currently on motorways I'm averaging 33-34 but I only have 1500 miles on the car. What MPG do you get in heavy traffic? Currently filling my car every 9-10 days.
My other half uses the Leon as a daily on a 10 mile ( there and back) commute into Brum 5 days a week and averages 300ish a tank.

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
I love my car. I'm most of us do. All of these complaints and niggles though give me the fear over buying another. Mine has been flawless besides a few minor things all fixed under warranty. It's certainly not a cheap car to run but it's also not gonna break the bank. I hate that I cant just retain the base unit and swap out the guts when the dreaded time comes.

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth

Mate, I'm getting almost exactly 300 on an average tank, which includes every type of road. 44 miles a day. 40.6 is the best I've got and that was probably due to the 50mph average speed cameras on the M5 for quite a way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Mechnically my previous Leon had no problems whatsoever, seats were comfy even on 4 hr journeys (please note I'm only 172cm..seat @ highest position, and quite forward). Just the annoying buzzing and rattles that tend to happen in sequence not all at the same time! which were eventually all fixed...I had 16inch tyres...so road noise was allright...

It reallly depends on the road surface...my current Ibiza, which has 40 profile tyres, are noiser generally, but on a newly surfaced highway (M40 last weekend), even at 120kmh / 75mph...it's soo quiet...but at present 4 months, besides one rattle (which btw, I found out was the seatbelt on passenger seat hungover the latch you drop the front seats down, it stops when I separate them) there are no rattles to speak about...

I really would have got the 1.4 ACT Leon FR after the 2.0TDI , but the Ibiza had 1 yr free insurance and was cheaper even after ticking many options..so that made me jump...but after the Ibiza, if Leon have good deals on them, I would jump back...

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I'm on my second mk3. My first was a 64reg 5dr FR 184 DSG. I couldn't fault it. It had good mpg and with just a map went like stink.
After a while I craved more power and so jumped into a 66reg Leon Cupra 290 Black 5dr DSG.
This one is even better. It has all the toys and if anything the DCC makes it even more comfortable than the FR was. The Recaro style heated seats are very comfortable and supportive too. The only niggle was a slight rattle from the lower console, which I fixed myself. Fuel consumption is good too. I recently drove down to Santa Pod ( 250 mile round trip ) and it did 39.4mpg average.
I recently added a custom e-tuners stage 1 ECU map and DSG map and the car is now phenomenally quick. I'm not sure if I'd want the new Cupra 300 as I really do prefer the manual handbrake over the electronic one.

Last edited:

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Not a chance with the level of depreciation but I do love my car. I had to have an additional pneumatic lumbar support added to the driver seat and the luggage cover clip broke and was replaced under warranty. I have the squeaky suspension front and rear.
I drive 14 PLATE 320ed for work and this cripples me with both back ache and left knee pain and has a terrible ICE interface and terrible digital radio reception but it will do over 90mpg on a motorway run, I couldn't bring myself to buy a 320 unless it had upgraded seats and automatic.
In most ways I prefer the Leon over the beemer but only a f0ol would suffer this level of depreciation again. My next car will probably be a MAZDA unless Elon Musk can get a real world 400 mile range out of a TESLA and then I would buy in to EV

Still waiting for a proper apology from VAG about poisoning the planet!

Last edited:

JsyCuPrA

Jun 16, 2003
Oxfordshire
Visit site
Currently have a FR 150 (13) had it from six months old, had the door rattles, fixed by dealer and on last day of warranty the water pump failed. Done 38000 miles in 3 1/2 years. Nice car still enjoy driving it, would have got a 184 , but not available at the time. It is in Phantom Black, which looks great when cleaned, but hard work to maintain it looking good.
Ordered Cupra 300 in Monsoon Grey , which will be here in a few weeks. Can't wait.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members