New Ateca FR revealed

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Full details and pictures here: http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php/2017/04/04/new-sporty-seat-ateca-fr-revealed/

From the article:

1. New FR trim level brings fun at the wheel, sportiness and dynamism to the Ateca range, without compromising luxury
  2. World premiere at Automobile Barcelona 11-21 May 2017
  3. Ateca FR is further step in SEAT’s largest ever product offensive
  4. New 2.0 TSI 190PS engine with 4Drive and seven-speed DSG-auto gearbox

ATECA-FR1-1024x562.jpg

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007
Looks nice in the images, from what I can see they've improved the finish of the interior door grab handles.

Went for a test drive in an Excellence at the weekend with Mme. Pub and I have to say the handles looked cheap and nasty. I also thought the dial for changing between eco/normal/sport was a bit silly in a is-that-all-it-does sense.

Like the hill hold function, in the MK3 Leon one gets a couple of seconds of hill hold however the Ateca will sit there all day.

All the best

Pub

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Looks nice in the images, from what I can see they've improved the finish of the interior door grab handles.

Went for a test drive in an Excellence at the weekend with Mme. Pub and I have to say the handles looked cheap and nasty. I also thought the dial for changing between eco/normal/sport was a bit silly in a is-that-all-it-does sense.

Like the hill hold function, in the MK3 Leon one gets a couple of seconds of hill hold however the Ateca will sit there all day.

All the best

Pub
I think the hill hold is likely to be the auto handbrake. My Leon will just sit on a hill the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I think the hill hold is likely to be the auto handbrake. My Leon will just sit on a hill the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Ateca has two systems, Autohold and the parking brake. They are different systems. That said, from my experience they are both totally automatic and just do what they are supposed to do.

I have yet to activate/deactivate either system. It works perfectly under all conditions and with DSG you just stop and then move off when you want to. No other action required - it's brilliant.

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
I'm still waiting for a higher bhp spec, love the cars other than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
I did deactivate the automatic parking brake when I left the car parked up for a month following your instructions Freddie. I normally release the handbrake after blocking it up when I go away for a long period, least with the old car. Given I had been driving it since November solely on autohold it was a bit weird.

Took it too one foot from it final resting place. Autohold off. Moved forward a foot, into park, foot off the brake, engine off. Got out and blocked it up.

Left myself a note in the car for my return to toggle autohold back just in case I drove away without autohold.

Survived being left without using it for a month, started first time. I was a bit worried that the Kessy might have powered down in that period so I identified the flip point to access the blade key area, just in case. Not required:).

I've found no problems with autohold / parking brake on this Ateca DSG it works like a dream. Some people seem to have issues when used with a manual.

Twiddly mode bit comes into its own on a DSG / 4Drive since offroad is there and changing gear in the DSG is influenced by that setting. Got reduced functionality if it's not fitted to a DSG.

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007

Must be an option or later feature I don't have on my 2013 1.4FR TSi, it's just a standard, manual lever handbrake and a couple of seconds hill hold on the foot brake.

All the best

Pub

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
I popped into a dealer yesterday to see the Ateca up-close and personal - very much like a pumped up version of my Leon, as I expected (that's a good thing). I am very interested in getting one to replace the Yeti. I picked up a brochure which has all the specs and details of the FR variant, but SEAT's website and configurator still don't show it, which is a bit frustrating as I want to run some options through it. I like the idea of the 2.0 TSi engine with 4WD and DSG but it's a thirsty beast compared to the 1.4 150 , with correspondingly high CO2. I'm still surprised at the decent 0-60 and efficiency numbers of the 150 TSi engine and I like how it goes in m'Leon.

In the mean time the Skoda Karoq will come along - I'm keen to see how the spec/variant/price levels compare.

Tell

Staff member
I just completed a 17 day, 3,000 mile journey in mine, 2-3 hours on driving, 2-3 hours as a passenger, rotated. To me there is something wrong with the passenger side legroom. I'm 6'1" the codriver 5'10", we are both in agreement that it isn't a patch on my old Altea. You can't get your left foot out. I wondered whether this was inherited from the Leon, so I jumped in one this afternoon. Seat back, jacked up. It's not as severe as the Ateca and the angling of the crash cage isn't so great so effectively gives you more useable room.

I tried the Kodiak out the sister to the bigger Ateca and passenger legroom is fine, none of the trapped left foot nonsense in RHD form. Personally I regard the Ateca as a curious designed car where the VAG group have placed the design to give equal space to front and rear passenger, ditto the Karoq, pushed the back door into the wheel arch to create space in the back. A sensibly designed car would allow you to nick passenger space from the back and give it to the front. The Tiguan rails and placement at the front don't allow this.

All things being equal if I had a time machine and the larger Ateca was out and it looked like this one at 30cm longer as per the Kodiaq, I would have bought that !. All other things are fine with the Ateca and driving position if you are not bothered about the rear wheel getting dirt inside the frame and door. Other than that my TDI190 DSG drives very well and the leather bucket seats have finally been broken in so you fit snug into the seat back with reduced lateral movement good for people with backache. At 5,500 miles and the hot Mediterranean heat the leather finally relented so the seat back can be felt, least I think that's what happended unless the bolster gave way. Didn't want leather either so expect if you had a time machine you would have to add plus one year to get the FR Ateca "XL" in Alcantara, couple of years away.

I think anyone who owns one of the bigger Seats would do well to hold to see what the larger Ateca has to offer else you might be disappointed with the cramped front passenger legroom. Obviously if you aren't use to space on that side or don't want it, it's not an issue.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.