Reliability of a Cupra R?

Sherlock

Dec 15, 2016
Oxford
Thinking of buying a later Cupra R (225 BAM), whats the reliability of these 12ish years on? I've seen comments on here that say the engine + turbo are good for 200,000 miles, is this bu:censored:it? I realise any older car is gonna have niggles, and it depends on the car (and the owner!), but i'm wondering if i should go for something newer like a late naughties cooper s instead or something... Cheers!

Last edited:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Thought i got it wrong as soon as i pressed enter. :)
Copper s, i hate them. To small, to slow and just uncomfortable with more than one person in the car.
Cupra r....Most have been thrashed, few have been maintained but boy are these fun.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jamfull

Feb 6, 2011
If your budget is less than 5000. Why not .If you can get 6 to 7 grand you couldn't a s3 8 P 2006.. Sarge 1 remap on a s3 tfsi 300 to 340. Stage 1 on a cupra r 250 to 280.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Sherlock

Dec 15, 2016
Oxford
Thought i got it wrong as soon as i pressed enter. :)
Copper s, i hate them. To small, to slow and just uncomfortable with more than one person in the car.
Cupra r....Most have been thrashed, few have been maintained but boy are these fun.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Haha, the only reason i had the idea for the cooper s was because my mate has a 2012 JCW which is a rocket ship, but my budget doesn't extend that far... plus you're right about how annoying the size would be!

Think i'll stick to the Cupra R idea, been waiting for a year already to get one when i finish uni but seeing a thread yesterday gave me cold feet haha! I'll wait my time and try and find one that's in fairly decent condition then, can't wait to get my hands on one though!

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
Thinking of buying a later Cupra R (225 BAM), whats the reliability of these 12ish years on? I've seen comments on here that say the engine + turbo are good for 200,000 miles, is this bu:censored:it? I realise any older car is gonna have niggles, and it depends on the car (and the owner!), but i'm wondering if i should go for something newer like a late naughties cooper s instead or something... Cheers!

I'm sure you don't need anymore reassurance, but just want to add just how awesome the Cupra R 225 is, just superb. Had for the past 3 years, never put a foot wrong. I'm sure there are some stinkers, just shop around to make sure you get a well kept one.

Last edited:

wilfster

Mar 6, 2010
For the last 15 years I've had Mk1 Leons. A 180bhp 20vt Cupra for 4 years, followed by my current 225bhp LCR for 11 years. Do I need to say more? They've both been more reliable than the Golf GTIs I owned before that and much more enjoyable. Brilliant cars.

In everyday usage, the main difference between the two with standard suspension is the handling. The LCR handles completely different to the Cupra. After all, the front end is Audi S3. My Cupra got a bit floaty at 120, but the LCR feels nailed to the road at 130+ (on private roads of course, officer).

The secret to LCR reliability is keeping it away from dealers, especially SEAT dealers. Don't buy a car with a main dealer service history unless you're very sure you trust the dealer.

People I know with Minis have had reliability problems and shocking repair costs.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi
Just my 2 cents worth for you.
I've had an LC 180 for 8. Years and have put 84000 miles on it with very good reliability.
No engine or turbo problems. It's now on 151000 miles. Still pulls like a train. Bullet proof engine.
You'll get Normal stuff breaking or wearing out like sensors etc or a cracked spring maybe but this is to be expected on an older car. I now have an LCR which I've had 2 weeks. As said by others the LCR is better handling and pulls slightly harder through the gears. Lovely car. Good looking and you don't see many from week to week.
Minis etc are everywhere you turn.
Buy an LCR buddy. Gets my vote.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise