Auto wipers always on?

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
Hello, just got my Leon FR a few days ago. I was reading the manual about the auto wipers because I wasn't sure if they were on (it hasn't rained yet). In the manual it shows a switch on the tip of the wiper stalk and instructs that it should be set to 1 to turn on auto wipers. However, when I looked at my car it doesn't have that switch. It does have the rain sensitivity switch along the top but no on off switch.So I'm assuming it's always on. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Izo

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
Move the stalk down to the first position the wipers will give one sweep and park, auto wipers are now on, the toggle switch in the top of the arm is a sensitivity setting, it adjusts the point at which the auto wipers start depending on how much water/rain is detected by the rain sensor

Last edited:

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
Move the stalk down to the first position the wipers will give one sweep and park, auto wipers are now on, the toggle switch in the top of the arm is a sensitivity setting, it adjusts the point at which the auto wipers start depending on how much water/rain is detected by the rain sensor

Thanks Mick. I moved the wiper stalk down one notch and it swiped once then parked. Unfortunately I haven't tested it in the rain yet. Do auto-wipers continue to work after turning the ignition off and on again? The reason I ask is when I turned off the ignition the wipers moved slightly, but they didn't swipe and park again when I turn the ignition on. I assume they stay on though.

Thanks,
Izo

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
It sounds like you still don't have them on.

Move the stalk to the off position then move it up 1 click, this is the auto wipers on. They will remain on even after turning the ignition off / on.

The wipers will move every time you park / start the car but this has nothing to do with auto wipers.

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
It sounds like you still don't have them on.

Move the stalk to the off position then move it up 1 click, this is the auto wipers on. They will remain on even after turning the ignition off / on.

The wipers will move every time you park / start the car but this has nothing to do with auto wipers.

Thanks Chris. Yeah that makes more sense. I'll give it a go tomorrow, it's forecast rain.

Cheers,
Izo

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hello, just got my Leon FR a few days ago. I was reading the manual about the auto wipers because I wasn't sure if they were on (it hasn't rained yet). In the manual it shows a switch on the tip of the wiper stalk and instructs that it should be set to 1 to turn on auto wipers. However, when I looked at my car it doesn't have that switch. It does have the rain sensitivity switch along the top but no on off switch.So I'm assuming it's always on. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Izo

Ignore the switch shown at the end of wiper switch in the diagram, it is for 'Trip' (I presume reset on some models).
With the ignition on and the wiper lever pushed fully down against spring pressure then released the wipers will give one sweep then the wipers will be in the 'Off' position, as shown by the symbols to the left on face of the switch.
If you then move the lever up one click it is in the 'intermittent, rain sensor' position, the sensitivity can be adjusted by the little switch on top.
When the lever is moved up to the next click position the wipers are set at low speed, and when moved to the top position they are at fast speed.

concerned cat

Nov 30, 2014
Huddersfield UK

Thanks,
Izo

There are no rain sensors on mine. One switch up is just intermittent wipe. Adjusted sensitivity by the toggle switch on top of the lever. I suspect most of the posters, if not all have the same.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
There are no rain sensors on mine. One switch up is just intermittent wipe. Adjusted sensitivity by the toggle switch on top of the lever. I suspect most of the posters, if not all have the same.

LOL - I suspect the people in this thread that have posted about how to enable auto wipers know the difference between wipers coming on themselves and having to switch them on.

Your intermittent wipe is our position for enabling auto wipers which will go on / off themselves depending on the weather.

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
Well this morning the windscreen was covered with rain, though it wasn't actually raining. But the wipers didn't clear even when I went over 10mph. So I ended up clearing it manually. Later on when I was going down the motorway some water must have made it's way over the rain sensor because my wipers started wiping by themselves then stopped. So it seems to be working. My friend has a V40 with a similar system and reckons the sensor works better at high speed?

Cheers,
Izo

Bhoopoo

Aug 14, 2008
Surrey
If you have auto light sensors then the auto wipers will also work. Turn the switch to auto lights then the rain sensor wipers will work, part of the covenience pack. You can control the sensitivity from the switch on the right hand side stalk.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Ive found that if the windscreen is covered when you get into the car but it isnt actually raining you will need to clear it yourself. They are also slightly temperamental depending on how heavy the rain is.

As far as I know the reason why they can take a while to wipe at the start is to prevent damage incase you forget they are active and start the engine but the windscreen is frozen.

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
If you have auto light sensors then the auto wipers will also work. Turn the switch to auto lights then the rain sensor wipers will work, part of the covenience pack. You can control the sensitivity from the switch on the right hand side stalk.

I didn't realise that. Yes I have my lights set to auto, so the wipers come on with the rain sensor even if the wiper stalk is set to off? Interesting. I'll try that.

Cheers,
Izo

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I didn't realise that. Yes I have my lights set to auto, so the wipers come on with the rain sensor even if the wiper stalk is set to off? Interesting. I'll try that.

Cheers,
Izo

Mine never have on my 2013 Leon.............

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

Cheers,
Izo

If the wiper switch is set to 'OFF' then the wipers will be 'OFF' no matter what! Nothing to do with 'Auto Lights'. If the light switch is set to 'Auto' and the wipers come on automatically for any reason then the headlights will also switch on.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise