New to SEAT, thoughts on 1.8 TSI?

RJay

Apr 7, 2017
So 2 weeks ago I ordered a SEAT Leon SC 1.8 TSI and I cannot wait until it arrives. 12 weeks I have to wait! This will be my first ever SEAT and I wanted to ask about the 1.8 TSI engine. Has anyone on here got that engine? I just want to know how the fuel economy is and what the powers like. At the showroom they only had the 1.4 TSI and even though it was a good engine it didn't seem that powerful even in sport. The salesman was pushing me to get the 1.4 but I went for the 1.8. My current car is a Astra H 1.8 140 SRI so I am hoping to see the difference with an extra 40HP and the MPG should be better.

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
I picked up a 13plate 1.8 on friday and so far I love it other than taking a bit to get used to the DSG7 box though, I had the dsg in my old leon mk2 but this box seems totaly different characteristics.

having come from a type r (fn2) to this leon, power is more than fine for me, ill still probably remap after a bit but tbh it gets to 60/70 in no time so no real rush.

economy is pretty dam impressive to, again fn2 struggled to get 28mpg / 280 miles to a tank, im already at 100miles in this and the tank is still full and saying a range of 400miles still, so cant complain at all on that side of things.

I know its only 3 days of ownership but so far so good.

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
It's a brilliant engine, rare now as I believe they have stopped making it? Or are soon to stop making it...shame.

Pulls hard, smooth, easy to transition and modulate. As for fuel economey, well, on Tesco Momentum the best I have gotten on one long journey is 40.5 MPG over a 100 miles with most of it A road and Motorways, this is the Manual too, pop it in 6th, CC on at 60-70mph racks up the economey easy. My average is always over 35 but it always depends on the roads, lots of stop starts and slow bollocks between speed zones can make it drop far from achieving 40. I had it at 42.7 until i pulled off the motorway and had the navigate the city streets to find a parking space.

You will absolutely notice the higher Torque, how it pulls from 1750-6000 (for me at least) and how when fully warmed up it's super responsive to inputs.

Make sure you get it with decent rubber on it too, maybe as them if you can specify the tyres you get on it when you buy it, I changed to Dunlop SportMaxxx RT2 and have never come across such a sudden and immediate difference in grip, feel, traction and wet control as opposed to the stock Bridestone T001s that it came with from factory, dry wheel hop elimated and in good conditions full throttle no fuss 1st gear pulls without drama/spin, superb car :).

Last edited:

misiakupatego

Mar 5, 2017
1.8 TSI have a better sound and still have power over 4k rpm if compare to 1.4 TSI. It is good engine.

It is stock 1.8 TSI with DSG7:

youtube.com/watch?v=4YMlOZtCKHk

Good choice before Cupra :D

Last edited:

PaoloB

Jul 10, 2016
1.8 has upgraded rear suspension, bigger brakes, and lots more power
Had ours for 5 months and really enjoying immensely. Yes, it's difficult to find one new nowadays but worth it if that's what you really want. Dealers have loads of 1.4's that's why they're pushing the sales.

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Indeed, absolute gem the 1.8. Once she gets going and tyres warm it's unbelievable fun round the twists and turns of shallow roads, and even on the straights against the pretentious Audi and BMWs I enjoy smoking sometimes :D bliss.

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Another happy 1.8 TSi DSG owner here :)

My previous car was a Focus 1.8 TDCi which had the same 250Nm of torque but the extra 65 horsepower in the Leon certainly makes for a pleasant upgrade in performance!

I was slightly surprised to only be averaging around 35mpg in the Leon though, as that is well below the claimed figure.

However that's the norm for this engine, judging by Honest John's Real MPG section.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/seat/leon-2013

It's a brilliant engine, rare now as I believe they have stopped making it? Or are soon to stop making it...shame.

Pulls hard, smooth, easy to transition and modulate. As for fuel economey, well, on Tesco Momentum the best I have gotten on one long journey is 40.5 MPG over a 100 miles with most of it A road and Motorways, this is the Manual too, pop it in 6th, CC on at 60-70mph racks up the economey easy. My average is always over 35 but it always depends on the roads, lots of stop starts and slow bollocks between speed zones can make it drop far from achieving 40. I had it at 42.7 until i pulled off the motorway and had the navigate the city streets to find a parking space.

You will absolutely notice the higher Torque, how it pulls from 1750-6000 (for me at least) and how when fully warmed up it's super responsive to inputs.

Make sure you get it with decent rubber on it too, maybe as them if you can specify the tyres you get on it when you buy it, I changed to Dunlop SportMaxxx RT2 and have never come across such a sudden and immediate difference in grip, feel, traction and wet control as opposed to the stock Bridestone T001s that it came with from factory, dry wheel hop elimated and in good conditions full throttle no fuss 1st gear pulls without drama/spin, superb car :).

There's still the option of a 1.8 TSi on the configurator, unless they're clearing out old FR Technology stock...

http://configurator.seat.co.uk/

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
I'm lucky enough to have one of the very last of the 1.8TSI's in my Ibiza Cupra Black. I don't know the specs on the Leon FR but mines putting out 192PS/320NM, it is really impressive so far (only owned it just under 2 weeks now).

I'm seeing 40-45mpg on my 22 mile motorway/b-road commute and around 32-36 when giving it some on the country lanes/linkways, however it's only done 1.5k miles so hasn't fully bedded in yet I imagine. It can seriously surprise some bigger cars (kept up with a 56 plate 335d ;))

RJay

Apr 7, 2017
Thanks for all the replies guys.

The 1.8 TSI is still available, I put in my order at the end of March for the 1.8 TSI the salesman didn't say anything about it not being available but he said it is not a popular engine and in the 10 years he's been there hes sold 4 1.8 engines? In 10 years? I didn't think that sounded right! After reading everyones replies I am very glad I went for the 1.8 over the 1.4. The frustrating thing is I still haven't heard from the garage regarding my order. I got a call 2 weeks ago to say the finance has been accepted and he was supposed to phone me the next day with the order details... still waiting. I phoned the garage last week and they were going to pass on the message that i phoned but I am still waiting for a call.....

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I'm lucky enough to have one of the very last of the 1.8TSI's in my Ibiza Cupra Black. I don't know the specs on the Leon FR but mines putting out 192PS/320NM, it is really impressive so far (only owned it just under 2 weeks now).

I'm seeing 40-45mpg on my 22 mile motorway/b-road commute and around 32-36 when giving it some on the country lanes/linkways, however it's only done 1.5k miles so hasn't fully bedded in yet I imagine. It can seriously surprise some bigger cars (kept up with a 56 plate 335d ;))

I have this engine in my VW - a current model Polo GTI. A great engine with good performance and economy.

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
The 1.8 TSI is still available, I put in my order at the end of March for the 1.8 TSI the salesman didn't say anything about it not being available but he said it is not a popular engine and in the 10 years he's been there hes sold 4 1.8 engines? In 10 years? I didn't think that sounded right! After reading everyones replies I am very glad I went for the 1.8 over the 1.4.

The 1.8 Tsi is still available and is now back on the configurator. However, back in November when the orders were first opened for the 2017 facelift models, the 1.8 Tsi was not available to order in the UK. I don't think it became available again until mid January as I tried to order one in early in December and was told that it had been withdrawn in the UK with the facelift. SEATs indecision and lack of information lost them a sale from me and more importantly lost my dealer a sale. It would have been my 4th Leon from them.

'In 10 years!' I don't know where he got that from as the 1.8 only became available in the Leon FR just under 4 years ago with the Mk 3. I know that because I had one of he first 1.8's in the UK back in June 2013 and had to wait for it to be built. A great engine and I really enjoyed my 4 years with my 1.8 manual but it wasn't always good on fuel economy and I think I averaged at around 37 mpg on mixed driving but could get up to about 43 mpg on a long motorway trip. Way back in the days of the Mk2 Leon it was a 2.0 Tsi but that was withdrawn because of very low sales.

I loved my 1.8 and was going to order another this time DSG, but as stated above SEAT wrongly misled everyone, including their UK dealers, by not initially making them available with the facelift. In the end I got a very good deal on a VW Golf GT Edition with DSG and I really like it. It's only the same 1.4 Tsi ACT as in the Leon but it did come with independent rear suspension as standard plus 18 inch wheels, adaptive cruise control, sunroof, front and rear parking sensors etc. They were doing a deal with £3,000 off the list price and so with all those options included it was no more expensive than a Leon FR. I'm getting around 45 mpg on mixed driving but not tried a longer motorway trip yet. I've only had it 3 weeks but loving the combination of the 1.4 engine and DSG and a ride that's quieter and not so hard as my Leon FR. I was disappointed at not being able to have another 1.8 but now I've got this Golf I don't feel that I've had to settle for second best. The 1.4 is much better than I imagined and does not seem a great come down from the 1.8.

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
It did come as a bit of a surprise to discover that the fuel economy of the 1.8 TSi is in reality only about 1mpg better than the Cupra :blink:

I didn't test drive a Leon 1.4 TSi to compare the suspension and brakes but if the Golf can offer the multi-link plus an extra 100 miles per tank then I can certainly see the appeal.

Hopefully the new Leon 2.0 TSi will bridge the gap between the 1.4 ACT and the Cupra a tad better.

RJay

Apr 7, 2017
Quick update.... got a call yesterday to say my SEAT will be getting built in the second week in May and delivery will be the end of May!!!

nbullus

Apr 21, 2017
I ordered the 1.8 TSI without even test driving it. Dealer said the same as what some others have mentioned with it not being a popular engine and they wouldn't have a demonstrator with it in for me to try.

Although it was cheaper and faster than the 184 diesel, there isn't a lot in it and suspect the diesel and it's super economy is what people are buying.

I've had mine 3 years now with DSG box and love the engine. I have to admit I drive around most of the time in Normal mode, but when someone winds me up I notch the gear stick back into Sport mode and leave them for dust.

It makes a lovely growl as well when you floor it.

If I hadn't ordered the Cupra 300, I would have stuck with the 1.8 TSi. Everyone that gets in it comments on how quick it is. If you do more longer journeys then the diesel would be better option as its just as quick, but for shorter trips and round town the 1.8 would TSi would be my choice.

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
I knew I wanted the 1.8 when I was looking for a Leon, obviously none to drive at any local dealers so drove a manual Cupra 290 (lovely car but more than I needed in a DD) and a 1.4 DSG, was ok but but felt like it needed working too hard to get the best out of it. My local dealer sourced me a 6 month old 1.8 with DSG (as in my sig below) and love it. Is nice and relaxed with plenty of low down grunt around town, relaxed and long legged on the motorway and eager and fun on fast A and B roads. More than happy with it.