Would you buy another Mk3 Leon

• Yes

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 19.7%

• Total voters

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
that's my only worry when mine arrives.had so much trouble with the electronic handbrake in my golf.

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
My Cupra is the only car I've owned that I plan on keeping past 3years old. It ticks every box for me!

Would I buy a new one again, yes if they didnt put the poxy electronic handbreak in!

Ditto for me - my 280 is coming up 3 years old with just over 18k on it, still on the original Bridgestones (just... Pilot 4s waiting to be fitted) and what minor issues I've had with it have been sorted without any fuss by my local dealer.

I was all set to order a new 300 but I'm not keen on the new alloys or front bumper (fog lights mainly) and I still get a buzz from my 280 every time I take it out, so I bought an OBDeleven instead and did all the mods I should have done 2 and a half years ago :joystick:

As Porker says, it ticks every box for me and is still in perfect condition so keeping was a no brainer but I would have another in an instant if the deal was right.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
My 280 will be three years old in July and the plan was to keep it for at least another year. The car has been faultless with not a single issue in nearly three years.
But I got a phone call off the dealer last week asking what my plans were, I said I was keeping it. He suggested I pop in for a chat as they could show me the offers they have on at the moment and I could take the 300 for a drive. I agreed and the idea was I would drive the new 300, spend ten minutes listening to his spiel then walk out offended at his part exchange offer.
But, it didn't quite go to plan. His part exchange price was very good, lots of discount off the new car and the clincher was half price leather. So having gone into the showroom adamant I didn't want a new car, I now have a Cupra 300 on order, due in twelve weeks!

Still can't quite work out how it happened......lol

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
My 280 will be three years old in July and the plan was to keep it for at least another year. The car has been faultless with not a single issue in nearly three years.
But I got a phone call off the dealer last week asking what my plans were, I said I was keeping it. He suggested I pop in for a chat as they could show me the offers they have on at the moment and I could take the 300 for a drive. I agreed and the idea was I would drive the new 300, spend ten minutes listening to his spiel then walk out offended at his part exchange offer.
But, it didn't quite go to plan. His part exchange price was very good, lots of discount off the new car and the clincher was half price leather. So having gone into the showroom adamant I didn't want a new car, I now have a Cupra 300 on order, due in twelve weeks!

Still can't quite work out how it happened......lol

Your story is the very reason I haven't been tempted to take the dealer's new 300 for a test drive! I've got to know the salesman really well and he's a complete petrolhead - he also knows I'm just as bad and that it wouldn't take much to hook me again :wtf:

Enjoy yours when it comes mate - out of interest, what colour did you go for?

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Enjoy yours when it comes mate - out of interest, what colour did you go for?

Thanks mate! The colour was the only stumbling block, I always buy red but red isn't an option anymore, well solid red anyway.

The only other colour that tempted me was Mystery Blue, so that is what I went for. The demo car was the this colour and it looked really good!

Apr 12, 2010
Currently on my third Leon (second cupra). This one had a totally unsolvable rattle which turned out to be a surplus 8mm nut under the carpet on the drivers side! All good now and feels solid, copes with family duty very well without boring my mind to death.

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I'm on my third Leon. I owned a mk2 1.2tsi, mk2 CR170 and now a mk3 Cupra 290.

I don't think I'll own another. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the car, but I think next time around I'll go for something a bit more grown up. Something a bit more prestigious such as Audi or BMW, and a bigger engine like 3.0 straight 6. I also fancy awd or rwd too.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Has the rear light issue but otherwise OK. No rattles or anything like that fortunately.

Voted yes as I like the car but I don't ever replace a car with the same model so it'd either be a Mk4 or something different entirely.

One gripe is with lack of dealers, my local one closed recently and now it's about 50 miles to the next closest one.

Boab

Knows nothing about cars!
Mar 22, 2017
Edinburgh
The jury is out for me but I have only had my 15 plate 280 cupra for 6 weeks. There's no rattles and everything seems solid and tight build wise. It's also comfy in comfort mode and being the st it's also a good size for the family.
The level of spec is good for the price and that was my main factor in buying the cupra. I was wanting a golf r but the prices for the estate are around 5k more than the leon (used prices) and the fact that the golf has 2 fake pipes on the back and the estate had old style lights put me right off.

The power of the 280 is great and makes country road driving much more enjoyable when can overtake without having to plan it too far in advance (had a 1.6 altea before). I also do like just driving the car. I don't have to drive fast and seldom do now but when I do I know I will bottle it before the car does as it just grips beyond belief. It does spin and hop from standing start and it can be tricky getting the power down with the DSG box at time without and orange light disco on the dash. In saying that I am now fully converted to DSG and cant see me going back manual unless it was for something very special.
As for another... I don't know. I have a 5 year chucky on this car as I don't do bubbles but will probably trade before then I think.
Ideally my next motor will be a VW campervan. One day :D

Huds

Apr 23, 2017
I've had five Leon's and only had a issue with one(like rear knocking,temramentle sat nav,,Rattles,with the newest 15 plate Leon I had.
So much so I replaced it with a 2013 leon which I had before I had that one.
Found it to be better screwed together & have more bits & bobs fitted.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members