Warranty

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Hi
Just a quick question
Has anyone ever been charged for investigation when car was still under warranty?
She said it's only in case the job won't be covered under warranty if it will be I'll get a refund.
But almost £200 for checking if a light is cracked and checking for rattles sounds crazy.

Thanks

Bengal

Feb 22, 2014
Hi
Just a quick question
Has anyone ever been charged for investigation when car was still under warranty?
She said it's only in case the job won't be covered under warranty if it will be I'll get a refund.
But almost £200 for checking if a light is cracked and checking for rattles sounds crazy.

Thanks

Yes but its usually not paid upfront instead its billed at end with either Seat or yourself paying it.

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Strange, been there 3 times in the past and never paid anything. Had a situation where investigation was done, they refused to do it under warranty so we stopped it there but didnt charge me anything

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
This now is happening on a regular basis as some investigations are lengthy and time consuming only find the warranty is not going to cover the costs and customers will not or cannot pay after it is done.
I was charged £60 for diagnosis at a Honda dealer for a fault rectified under warranty, I was arguing my case at the desk(I had in fact worked in that dealer) when SWMBO told me to pay, she then spoke to the DP and told him we would not return again, it has cost them more than £60 in sales lost from myself and friends.

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
This tends to be dealer specific stuff and is typically based on trust in my view. It weeds out the stupid claims that inevitably some people will try and the dealer has wasted their time and money looking at something they know Seat UK won't support. You could however argue that a blanket charge is viewed as poor customer service for the genuine cases.

My own experience of (VAG) Pulman has been they never charge - alas my relationship is long standing and servicing and so on is done by them. They'd risk losing my business otherwise I think.

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
So would you say £174 I think she said.. Seems reasonable for checking if the brake light is cracked and if theres rattles coming from the passengers door?
Funny they couldnt find anything until I showed them :)

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I suspect this will only get worse with dealers now making decisions on whether to carry work out under warranty in house. They then submit paperwork to seat to claim money back after with seat potentially rejecting the claim...

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Good im running out of warranty.. Pure bullshit, they can never see the issue. Next time I'll just do it myself

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Guys, I've seen many of you posting that you had rattles sorted under warranty, how comes they refusing to do mine? ****ing regret I even bothered claiming anything there..

andrew_ww

Nov 15, 2007
Yep, I was told 70 pound up front before they would look at it.
I subsequently went ballistic at Seat UK, who eventually paid it, however they made it clear it's up to discretion of the dealer.

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Upfront :)... That's what they missed in my case.

I may be misinterpreting
"The cost of any investigation work can only be authorised by the vehicle owner, who will remain responsible for meeting that cost in the event that the repair is not covered by the Warranty?"
Can someone clarify for me :)

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Well.. Didnt charge me anything after arguing for a while and showing they havent followed all the steps from the warranty booklet :) so worth reading it.. Havent really fixed anything so we've just both lost some time and Im in the same place.

yozza1987

Leon Mk3 Fr
Sep 3, 2013
Worcester
Upfront :)... That's what they missed in my case.

I may be misinterpreting
"The cost of any investigation work can only be authorised by the vehicle owner, who will remain responsible for meeting that cost in the event that the repair is not covered by the Warranty?"
Can someone clarify for me :)

how I read that is paying for them to investigate wear and tear items. E.g clutch or brake pads as these are not covered under warranty and the fault is the owner not the manufacturers e.g riding the clutch instead of release bearing failure

yozza1987

Leon Mk3 Fr
Sep 3, 2013
Worcester
Well.. Didnt charge me anything after arguing for a while and showing they havent followed all the steps from the warranty booklet :) so worth reading it.. Havent really fixed anything so we've just both lost some time and Im in the same place.

At least you have not lost money. Can be really annoying understandably as you were hoping the issue would be sorted

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Exactly..
In regards to the post before..thats on the all components cover. What I later found out was they shouldnt be doing anything without telling me the price first.. I surely wouldnt give the go ahead as could probably have a new door trim for this money ;)

yozza1987

Leon Mk3 Fr
Sep 3, 2013
Worcester
Well yeah you should have a quote first. Parts cost, investigation charge expect labour etc then any changes they must ring first for you to authorise. As you said a new trim would cost the same

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members