New 1.8 or 3yr old cupra

Red ibiza

Oct 9, 2002
Nottingham
Visit site
Trying to make the decision a new 1.8 or a 3 year old cupra.
I will be keeping the car till it's around 10 year old.

Keep going round in circles the head says 1.8 but deep down I really want a fast car!!

Help!!!

Liam0161

Apr 23, 2017
Manchester
I was in the same boat an ended up with a cupra. The fr I wanted sold so I thought ild just go for the cupra and I'm glad I made that decision. Otherwise every time you see a cupra you'll regret your decision an think why didn't I get one of those!!

CUPRAB

Sep 24, 2016
Same here, I had ordered a 1.4 SC Titanium and then thought best test drive it. Make mistake of taking a test drive in Cupra 290 BE, that was me sold. Sure you will be well happy with the 1.8 with a few new toys. Just don't test drive the Cupra!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Springrollz

Jul 22, 2016
London
The 3y/o cupra will actually be worth something at the end of 10years as well. Can't say the same about the 1.8 tsi

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
I think you need to test drive the 1.8 and see if you're happy with it. Cupras are epic, but I've said before that the 1.8 would probably be perfectly quick enough for the everyday slog. A 3-year old Cupra will probably have had a hard life, too, as well as being out of manufacturer's warranty. It's hard to use 300bhp during the week as almost everything else will hold you up......Nothing like a Cupra on full chat, though ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Go drive both then make your decision. 10 years is a long time to keep a car, jeez I've had like 12 cars in 6 years of driving and the longest I've kept one is 18 months! So you definitely want to make sure you have the right one.

Red ibiza

Oct 9, 2002
Nottingham
Visit site
I think you need to test drive the 1.8 and see if you're happy with it. Cupras are epic, but I've said before that the 1.8 would probably be perfectly quick enough for the everyday slog. A 3-year old Cupra will probably have had a hard life, too, as well as being out of manufacturer's warranty. It's hard to use 300bhp during the week as almost everything else will hold you up......Nothing like a Cupra on full chat, though ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I'm thinking, 1.8 should be enough, I have a remaped mk2 pd140 and thinking may miss the torque compared to the 1.8.

I have a motorbike for when I want to be a bit silly lol, also think most 3 year old cupras may well of been on lease and let's say not really looked after.

Red ibiza

Oct 9, 2002
Nottingham
Visit site
Go drive both then make your decision. 10 years is a long time to keep a car, jeez I've had like 12 cars in 6 years of driving and the longest I've kept one is 18 months! So you definitely want to make sure you have the right one.

May not keep it that long, just car's don't really mean that much like they use to, if I get a new car and spend this much money want a good car and keep it had current car going on 6 years.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
A 3-year old Cupra will probably have had a hard life

Mine certainly hasn't has a hard life. In fact, I'd wager it's in a better condition than most cars on the forecourt with a 16 plate.

2014 plate on 38,000 miles: 50 per cent motorway miles.

Meticulously maintained, recently detailed (no swirls, no scratches, no stone chips) and it rarely gets ragged.

Why? Because I don't have to rag it to get up to speed. I bet the average 1.8 TSI has been ragged more than my Cupra for that reason. That's certainly the case with my 2010 1.2 TSI (remapped) Polo I had before. Used to rag that thing everywhere.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
New car is always a new car.
And honestly, i ve driven few 280, 290 and there is not so much of a difference compared to 1.8tsi.
Cupra is over hyped and 1.8tsi very much underrated.

Cupra is great right from the show room floor.
1.8tsi is very good on stock and with few tweeks awesome.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.