FR on 17s

Bagwell

Apr 25, 2017
I'm interested in a facelift 5 door 1.8 tsi. Is the ride hard/uncomfortable on its standard 17s? Far more concerned with comfort than I am handling so would the comfort setting on DCC make a massive night and day difference to the ride quality? What is the standard ride quality on a multi-link FR on 17s like? Comfortable? Uncomfortable? I know I'll be extremely peeved spending £920 on an option I'll never use. Not exactly swimming in money.

bega

Oct 13, 2016
Usually cars with 17s 225/45 dimensions of tyres are really comfort. In family I got 2 cars with that dimensions and it's fine. Do you usually drive on normal roads or country?

Renex

Nov 17, 2016
Moscow, Russia
I've got 225/45/17 summer wheels set and 205/55/16 winter set and see no difference in comfort, but with summer set handling is much better.

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
As above.

I'm no youngster, but I still find the Cupra on 19s and set on Cupra mode to be perfectly acceptable.

It all depends on personal taste. I prefer a stiffer suspension along with the sharper handling. My friends prefer a softer more 'wallowy' comfortable ride.

Last edited:

Jamesb

Mar 26, 2017
Take a test drive, personally I have moved from 18s performance to 17s and feels much more comfortable but still I think DCC is a nice option for the roughest roads. See if you can find a dealer which will let you try both?

Jamesb

Mar 26, 2017
I have 1.4 ecotsi with torsion beam rear suspension so it will probably be slightly more fidgety than 1.8. Still all the more reason to take test drives and make sure you're really happy!

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
IT may be just me but the FR I have now (1.4SC with tb rear) sems more comfortable than the 1.2 se 5dr I had previously (though it may have been the Run flat tyres I had put on that car when I changed the tyres)

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
IT may be just me but the FR I have now (1.4SC with tb rear) sems more comfortable than the 1.2 se 5dr I had previously (though it may have been the Run flat tyres I had put on that car when I changed the tyres)

I'm exactly the same with mine. Ride is far better and much more comfortable than the se previously. I do prefer a sportier ride though.

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
The car I test drove had 18" wheels and it was stiff, however, I bought mine with the 17" wheels because I didn't actually like any of the SEAT standard wheels and I figured the 17s will become winter wheels and then get some new 19" summer wheels.

Mine was noticeably different in regards to comfort than the car with 18" wheels.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members