Access through firewall

Upia

Nov 30, 2015
Derbyshire
Hi guys, I'm attempting to fit a boost gauge into my dash, but I'm struggling to find a place to feed the hose.
On a guide i saw the pollen filter mentioned, I've removed all of that but can't see the mentioned grommet anywhere.
Are there any locations on the drivers side preferably as my gauge is in the drivers vent.
It's a cupra r amk if thats any help.
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Matt21

Apr 21, 2017
Kidderminster
Hi Thomas, when fitting mine I had to come through the wing and door runner for the time being as I couldn't get it through the same way as the bonnet release and can't be bothered atm to keep messing cause I messed up my wiper mechanism and had to buy a new one so I'm leaving it for now but there is a grommet where the pollen filter is that's where my 12v sub wiring runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Lift the plastic up around the window wipers, "if you can remove the wiper arms" driver side you will be able to get it through there. If you can't remove the arms.... Prepare for some loss of skin and blood and have a long screwdriver handy to make a hole in the grommet next to the one with the wire's going through. Don't try the one with wires as you will probably damage them as it's to tight a fit already. Once down there it will come out behind the dash down near the peddles

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Upia

Nov 30, 2015
Derbyshire
Awesome, thanks for the input guys.
I'll have a bash tomorrow before work.
I always expect bloodied knuckles and sore hands whenever i remove trim on this car :p.

Thanks

Upia

Nov 30, 2015
Derbyshire
I can see why you mentioned about being able to remove the wiper. I've unbolted it but it's well and truly attached still :(

On the image is what I can see under the wiper "flap"
Am I supposed to poke a hole in the circle to the left of the grommet with the wires then?
f9baca5c77753f478604a6a1d8fbc12d.jpg

Upia

Nov 30, 2015
Derbyshire
Ok no worries, I just jumped straight in.
I had better luck removing the bottom of the dash and the fusebox under the steering wheel and once I'd stabbed a hole in the grommet area (stabbed sounds a little aggressive) I could see where the daylight was shining through, it was simply just a case of getting the pipe through the hole which is easier said than done.
But now it works!

Once again, thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Hi, if you've gone through the connector cover in your picture (it's the same one I removed putting in my cruise control) I'd recommend sealing the hole well. That area gets very wet with the run off from the windscreen.

You should either use heavy duty mastic or Butyl Tape otherwise you could end up with a damp foot well.

Upia

Nov 30, 2015
Derbyshire
Hi, if you've gone through the connector cover in your picture (it's the same one I removed putting in my cruise control) I'd recommend sealing the hole well. That area gets very wet with the run off from the windscreen.

You should either use heavy duty mastic or Butyl Tape otherwise you could end up with a damp foot well.
Yeah, once I'd done it it started spotting with rain and reminded me lol.
I used some heavy duty mastic sealer from work so I'm pretty confident it'll stay dry :D

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I can see why you mentioned about being able to remove the wiper. I've unbolted it but it's well and truly attached still :(

On the image is what I can see under the wiper "flap"
Am I supposed to poke a hole in the circle to the left of the grommet with the wires then?
f9baca5c77753f478604a6a1d8fbc12d.jpg

Thought I'd mention it. Pain when it won't come off and the car is in bits.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You only need the vac pipe through correct? I just drilled a hole slightly bigger than the pipe then used a gromit. That way you can put it wherever so best for your application.

Upia

Nov 30, 2015
Derbyshire
You only need the vac pipe through correct? I just drilled a hole slightly bigger than the pipe then used a gromit. That way you can put it wherever so best for your application.

Yes that's right, I ended up doing that anyway, I didn't use a grommet to seal it up though, just some mastic sealer, does the same thing anyway.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members