Can't get the power down :/

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
First gear tc on or off plant your foot it blows the tires off shakes rocks rattles but no rolls!...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
What do you expect with wot?
You must be really nice in 1st 2nd maybe 3rd in the dry, and wet....forget about it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
What do you expect with wot?
You must be really nice in 1st 2nd maybe 3rd in the dry, and wet....forget about it.

I've not driven another so have no comparison didn't expect it to shred like that it's supposedly only 180bhp

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
You must have some pretty shite tyres or zero control on the throttle then!

Don't abuse it, and you can get all the power down in all gears.

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
You must have some pretty shite tyres or zero control on the throttle then!

Don't abuse it, and you can get all the power down in all gears.

I can drive the car, was just shocked it can't get the power down under full throttle and wondered if it was an underlying issue, tires are new Dunlop sport maxx r2s.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Chances are your car may have been remapped, but either way as the lads above said, they're more than capable of breaking traction in 1st and 2nd even in standard 180bhp form.

I never floor mine in 1st as it's just to much power for the drivetrain to deal with. i always wait until i'm in to 2nd before i put my foot down and even then you have to be progressive with the throttle.

In the wet it will happily break traction in 3rd, you definitely want traction control on unless you have a lot of room to play with.

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
Chances are your car may have been remapped, but either way as the lads above said, they're more than capable of breaking traction in 1st and 2nd even in standard 180bhp form.

I never floor mine in 1st as it's just to much power for the drivetrain to deal with. i always wait until i'm in to 2nd before i put my foot down and even then you have to be progressive with the throttle.

In the wet it will happily break traction in 3rd, you definitely want traction control on unless you have a lot of room to play with.
I was wondering about a map, it's allot faster feeling than my Old 182, I'm past the point of ragging it around thankfully I was just surprised the tc couldn't sort itself out and get her moving! I'm sending her down the rr after the Cambelt done Tuesday so will see what there saying

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah mate, i think even standard it will feel faster than the 182 due to the extra torque, but if it feels a lot faster then chances are it's running a stage one map.

The traction control can be a bit over the top tbh, it cuts in pretty hard and then takes ages to drop off again. As i said above though, it's definitely worth it in the wet as otherwise it tends to torque steer into the next lane when boost comes in, even in 3rd gear.

Last edited:

irf

Feb 5, 2014
270 bhp in mine and in the dry I can floor it in first with a little spin but second all the power goes to the road. Tyres, suspension, bushes and a progressive map all help. Fwd is never gonna be brilliant off the line though.

andycupra

status subject to change
traction control does not operate below a certain speed.
So, traction control will not help when you try to scream away from standstill until you are moving at a reasonable speed.
And also if in 1st when losing grip even if the traction control works its going to be quite brutal and cumbersom,
it really works better when on the move.
Personally, though 1st gear is for getting the car moving only, IMO you don't want to be doing what your doing is really not sympathetic to the car or your wallet.

Last edited:

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Traction control is a safety feature on these cars, not a performance feature (unless mapped specifically for this, but thats' another story). It's designed to kill wheel spin/slip instantly and usually kills all power to do so.

You are expecting too much from a FWD turbocharged car. The sudden onset of torque as the turbo wakes up is what is breaking the traction, and once that happens you will be going nowhere fast. Modulate the throttle until you gain momentum and continue to increase throttle as you gain speed - there's a reason they are not an on/off switch.

Better tyres will help massively too. Swap the Dunlops for a set of Michelin PS4 or Goodyear Eagle Asy3 (if its a daily) or a decent semi-slick if its a weekend/toy car and you'll have much more traction.

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
You're not dumping the clutch are you?
No not at all, it's really not an issue I'm not planning on racing it :D just surprised at how aggressive the transition control is and also the power uptake

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
TBH with my LC it's about getting the car rolling ( not much )
then you can plant your foot for a swift getaway.
They do like to spin up though especially the LCR.
As said above it will spin engaging third if damp.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Between 40-120 is what I'm about.
I'd love to put mine up against a stock R and see what happens

Any offers? Peterborough area but I'll travel a little all for fun

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Between 40-120 is what I'm about.
I'd love to put mine up against a stock R and see what happens

Any offers? Peterborough area but I'll travel a little all for fun

You're a dark horse though!
Doesn't say anywhere what you drive or what you're running.
:whistle:
Just a Mk1 Leon! What ever that means?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.