Horn problem

blackturbo

Apr 3, 2006
Fleet, Hants
My horn isnt working from the steering wheel but is when the alarm arms/disarms - Is there a relay/fuse to check for this or am I gona need to wire trace?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The alarm horn is completely separate from the road horns. The alarm horn is mounted above the ECU, the road horns down in the nearside of the bumper.

Here's a couple of pictures of my old TDI 110 with the bumper off

Front-bumper.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Horns.jpg

The horns are tucked up behind the bumper next to the foglights and not protected by the undertray. I'd start by checking that the horns work with directly-applied 12 volts power, and that the wiring is intact.

Last edited:

Lexy Thompson

May 5, 2017
Washington
www.sickspeed.com
If you run multiple horns or change the stock horn to a high performance horn use a relay. Single stock horn you don't need it. I was trying to use the stock horn and a trumpet horn on my 68 and could only get one of them to work. Used a relay and now it sounds like a cruise ship horn. I wired the relay direct from the battery through a heavy duty fuse holder with the heavy wire. Works great.

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Also, wow, my photo links have disappeared. Funny, I'm sure they are still there on Photobucket. Let's try and edit them back in...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.