New 1.8 or 3yr old cupra

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
The cupra doesnt have an LSD though.... edit - not in th real sense of the word, ie mechanical

The mk3 very much does have a mech diff not xds as per the older gen.
You are both right. The Cupra has a standard diff as in all cars. But, it also has a multiplate electronically controlled unit that sits externally to the diff itself. This uses hydraulic pressure to operate , and is controlled via a multitude of sensors including, apparently, 'XDS+’ . It works in the opposite way to the diff, a standard mechanical differential will deliver power to the easiest wheel to drive, this unit restricts that power to divert it to the opposite wheel. So, in the true sense of the word, it isn't really an LSD, but neither does it use the brakes as I believe a pure XDS vehicle does. Certainly having had two XDS fitted cars ( 2010 FR & LCR) and subsequently two Mk3 Cupra's, you do notice the difference. The Cupra DOES act like a mechanical LSD, only it is not as harsh and less intrusive.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
You are both right. The Cupra has a standard diff as in all cars. But, it also has a multiplate electronically controlled unit that sits externally to the diff itself. This uses hydraulic pressure to operate , and is controlled via a multitude of sensors including, apparently, 'XDS+’ . It works in the opposite way to the diff, a standard mechanical differential will deliver power to the easiest wheel to drive, this unit restricts that power to divert it to the opposite wheel. So, in the true sense of the word, it isn't really an LSD, but neither does it use the brakes as I believe a pure XDS vehicle does. Certainly having had two XDS fitted cars ( 2010 FR & LCR) and subsequently two Mk3 Cupra's, you do notice the difference. The Cupra DOES act like a mechanical LSD, only it is not as harsh and less intrusive.

I like to think I was more right ;)

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Do you want to put Borris Johnson or Theresa May in your garage? One is allot more serious than the other, but with higher running costs - posh shoes, best wine instead of larger, generally higher maintenance, but will stand its ground and not run out of puff when the going gets tough...

If your salesperson happens to Diane Abbott you will get a new Cupra or maybe three for the price of one FR 1.8 TSI :rofl:

Last edited:

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Would all three under the garage be ok?

PS just out of interest does anyone know how the differential works?

Last edited:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Would all three under the garage be ok?

PS just out of interest does anyone know how the differential works?
There was a very good explanation earlier in the thread. Essentially it's a clutch and I may be wrong but by handex the same people who do for motion and quatro.

It works well at pushing the power to the wheel with the most grip and almost pulling you wrong the corner (not off the corner don't worry).

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
There was a very good explanation earlier in the thread. Essentially it's a clutch and I may be wrong but by handex the same people who do for motion and quatro.

It works well at pushing the power to the wheel with the most grip and almost pulling you wrong the corner (not off the corner don't worry).

There is a good explanation here https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-eurocars/vws-vaq-diff-explained/30560
Although it's about the Golf, it is the same as the Cupra one.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.