Oil temperature and EGT on LEON 2010 TDI

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
Hi guys
i am not able to read oil temperature and EGT on a 2010 leon FR TDI
I tried with VCDS and nothing shows, i also removed the connector from the oil pan and no error was shown on dash, so clearly not working.

I thing the revo remap screwed with everything , deleting also other stuff.

Can somebody confirm that oil temperature and EGT can be seen on this model in VCDS or Polar fis?
Thanks!

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
A 2010 FR TDI will probably be the CEGA engine, same as mine. I can get EGT readings from VCDS in the engine measuring blocks.

I've got pre-turbo temp in block 99, with pre and post DPF temps in block 100.

You many not have either DPF sensor left on the car depending on how your DPF removal was done.

My 2010 FR doesn't seem to have a dash warning for oil temperature or oil level despite it having the sensor in the sump. I ran the VCDS output tests for the oil level warning lamp in the instrument cluster and it came back as not supported by the cluster. There's nothing in the handbook about it either.

I also cannot find oil temperate and level readings in the engine measuring blocks either so I'm a bit puzzled about that. I too run Revo software (stage 1) so I can't help as to whether or not this is a software issue or just the way things are on this model. The measurement block that VCDS has labelled as oil temperature shows a constant reading of -0.9°C and the oil level blocks are just blank. Very odd.

Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Mine is currently still standard so I'll try and find some time to take a look later in the week. I have a CEGA engine with a TOG sensor fitted so I would have thought the information should be available somewhere.

Other than removing the under engine protection cover and scrabbling around under the car, you can find out if your car has a TOG sensor fitted by looking for a PR Code of "QG1" on the sticker under the carpet in the boot.

I also have a PolarFIS sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed (probably at the weekend) so it will be interesting to see if that is able to access and show these oil parameters.

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
Mine is cega yes. Please.let us know if your standard car has this readings for oil and egt.
I have the sensor fitted under the oil pan and connector with wires in it.

This is why im puzzled, because it doesnt work. Removed the connector and did nothing, no error.

I have watched and modified the extended service interval in instruments #17 adaptations
but still no oil temperature.
My model has TOG , sensor + harness connected under the oil pan.

Put new EGT sensor on the turbo and reading is the same, no change :(

Last edited:

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
I don't have QG1 in my production codes but the sensor is definitely there with a wiring harness connecting to it.

I do however have QG2 which designates that it's not possible to activate the extended / variable service intervals. Thinking about it now it's very likely this is connected to the lack of oil readings. On fixed distance / time servicing there's no need for the car to monitor oil temperature so it's possible my instrument cluster is hard coded to not allow ESI activation.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I thought that I'd probably better just check something with you.

Where are you looking for the oil level and temperature measuring value blocks? It appears that Rusty2K might have been looking under MVBs for the engine ECU (I'm not sure) so I don't know if that is where you were looking for them. The G266 TOG sensor is wired into the instrument cluster so this is where the MVBs for that sensor are. I don't have access to my car right now but I've just checked back through some of my VCDS logs and can see the TOG sensor MVBs although I am unable to verify what values they are actually showing with no access to my car. I can do that later on in the week if need be.

This is how to get to the relevant TOG sensor MBVs in VCDS:-

1. Select [17 - Instruments]
  2. Select [Adv. Meas. Values]
  3. Scroll through the list looking for Engine oil temperature and Oil fill level and tick them to add them to the list of measuring values.

On my car, the Engine oil temperature MBV is at location 114 and the and Oil fill level MBV is at location 189.

If this is not where you are already looking for the MBVs then please check here and let us know if those MBVs are showing the information you need (or not).

Last edited:

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Yeah from what I remember the cluster makes the reading available on the CAN bus for the ECU to pick up.

In the cluster measuring blocks on my car it reports the oil temperature as zero and the level as 'OK' constantly. Not sure if this changes with the sensor unplugged. I'll try it out next time I'm under the car.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Both the QG1 and QG2 PR Codes on the Leon Mk2 indicate that a TOG sensor is fitted. The difference being that QG1 denotes the car was pre-configured at the factory with a flexible long life service schedule, while QG2 denotes the car was pre-configured at the factory with a fixed service schedule but under QG2 the customer still has the ability to change to a flexible long life service schedule if they so wish because the G266 TOG sensor is still fitted to the engine (as per your car). A source of this information can be found HERE.

If anyone wants to switch their car to flexible long life service schedule and they have a TOG sensor fitted, it can be done by making some adaptation changes to the cluster using VCDS. There's a previous post of mine HERE with a step-by-step guide in on how to do that. I should probably mention that since then, I've switched my car onto a fixed service schedule.

Maybe because my car is no longer on flexible long life servicing it may now also be reporting zero for the oil temperature. I will need to check and then report back my findings.

Last edited:

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
I checked, have the QG2. Did exactly as you indicated in your post there, hope something will change in 2-300km
On the dash nothing changed, and oil temperature still cant be seen in VCDS

Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I checked, have the QG2. Did exactly as you indicated in your post there, hope something will change in 2-300km
On the dash nothing changed, and oil temperature still cant be seen in VCDS

Those look like MBVs for your [01 - Engine] controller. Did you try looking at the MVBs for the [17 - Instrument Cluster] as per post #6 in this thread?

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
shows oil level ok and for oil temp there was a sentence,,strange one

Please can you post up the exact message. It might not mean anything to anyone but it will be good to include it in this thread for reference purposes.

The fact that there is a message there rather than a zero or another numeric temperature value may be suggesting that the oil quality is currently still being "analysed" and it might well turn into a numeric value once you have done 2-300km. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I had the opportunity to hook up VCDS to my car today and take a look the Advanced Measuring Values for the instrument cluster. Unfortunately I didn't have time to to run the engine and get it up to operating temperature (I will do that another day) so the readings were taken with the engine cold. These are the results:-

29c9lr5.jpg

Because I could see that the Engine Oil Temperature was actually showing some kind of reasonable value, I decided to also include the Outside Temperature value as well. One thing I will add is that when I first added the Engine Oil Temperature value, it was showing 17.0°C, so by the time I had added the Outside Temperature value, the Engine Oil Temperature value it had increased by 1 degree.

It looks like with the engine not running, the Engine Oil Temperature value at least mirrors what the Outside Temperature value is.

If I get some time at the weekend, I'll take readings of the same measuring values again with the engine up to full operating temperature.

Will post back once I have an update.

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
I think the most important thing is to see your settings in Instruments, adaptation
for EIS and anything related.
If you can take some pictures of the settings i will try to replicate and see what's going on on mine.

With revo stage 2 they have affected a part of the ecu that shouldn't have been touched, deleted EGT as well

I will write oem map in boot mode so everything should go to normal.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
These are all the ESI related adaptation values currently stored in my instrument cluster...

Code:
IDE00342-ESI: Resetting ESI,Reset
IDE00492-MAS00900-ESI: Coding of Service Interval Extension (SIE)-Oil level,Oil level evaluation 
IDE00492-MAS02003-ESI: Coding of Service Interval Extension (SIE)-Status ESI or SID,ESI or SID on 
IDE00492-MAS02006-ESI: Coding of Service Interval Extension (SIE)-Selection of ESI or SID,Extended Service Intervals (ESI) 
IDE00492-MAS02010-ESI: Coding of Service Interval Extension (SIE)-Oil pressure,dynamic oil pressure 
IDE00492-MAS02011-ESI: Coding of Service Interval Extension (SIE)-Remote clock receiver,without remote clock receiver 
IDE00492-MAS02012-ESI: Coding of Service Interval Extension (SIE)-Oil quality,poor oil quality 
IDE00492-MAS02013-ESI: Coding of Service Interval Extension (SIE)-TOG,Oil level thermal sensor connected to instrument cluster
IDE00510-ESI: distance driven from inspection,500 km
IDE00511-ESI: time from inspection,30 d
IDE00515-ESI: oil quality,poor oil quality 
IDE00517-ESI: soot entry,500 km
IDE00518-ESI: thermal load,400 km

Note that my car is currently on a fixed service schedule ("Poor Oil Quality") but the last 5 ESI values which are used by the flexible long life service schedule oil analysis algorithm (when using "Good Oil Quality") are all still being populated.

Because you have switched your car over to "Good Oil Quality", you should also have the following 4 additional ESI related lines in your instrument cluster adaptation map with some relevant default values against them. These appear when a vehicle is switched to "Good Oil Quality" but disappear when a vehicle is switched to "Poor Oil Quality", so my car is currently missing these 4 parameters...

Code:
IDE00512-ESI: minimum value km-driving distance/inspection,15000 km
IDE00513-ESI: maximum value km-driving distance/inspection,30000 km
IDE00514-ESI: maximum value of time between inspections,744 d
IDE00827-ESI: minimum value of time between inspections,744 d

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
OK, so I have now taken another oil temperature reading after having used my car. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take the reading immediately, so the engine had been switched off for about 90 minutes when I took the measurements below but it appears to prove that my TOG sensor is actually working and is correctly relaying a temperature back to my instrument cluster.

I notice that I used a different air temperature reading parameter than last time but it doesn't really matter because it's the oil temperature that we are actually interested in.

bdqi2w.jpg

At least you should now have plenty of data and evidence to go on for troubleshooting your issue.

If changing all the instrument cluster ESI parameter settings to be the same as mine doesn't work then it can only either be a faulty sensor (or wiring issue to that sensor), or your REVO map is somehow interfering with the way the instrument cluster is processing the TOG sensor data values.

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
Gonna connect to the car now and modify it to poor oil quality.
Also waiting for the kess to arrive so i can write the oem map in boot mode hoping to repair the damage done by revo stage2 , deleting other stuff than was necessary (EGT)

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
It will be interesting to see if the OEM map does actually restore the oil temperature reading so can you please post back with an update once you have done this so we know if the lack of an oil temperature measuring value was actually caused by the REVO map.

Do you actually have a physical DPF and EGR delete on your car or are they both simply just disabled in the map? If it's a delete then I guess you are going to have other challenges with the OEM map because it's going to be expecting the DPF and EGR to be fitted and functioning. Unless of course it is easy enough to make a minor tweak to the OEM map to switch them off. I don't really know a lot about mapping stuff so I'm not sure. It sounds like you probably do if you are getting a Kess.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.