Tuning a Cupra 280

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
Been considering this for a while and have finally finished with mods to the exterior of the car, but would be interested in some feedback from Cupra owners with regards to engine mods.

The car's completely standard atm and have a BCS powervalve catback on order so that'll change pretty quickly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to the best intake system for the cupra? I've been doing some research and I think I've narrowed it down to either the VWR R600 or APR Carbon intake.
I've also seen one from 034 Motorsport, but not quite sure which one's best to go for.
I've read up great things about the VWR intake but that it involves cutting to fit properly, anyone care to share how much cutting's involved?

I'm not that bothered about intake noise or looks, this is purely performance based. I am planning on upgrading the stock intercooler when funds allow and after that I'm considering a stage 2 map from APR; will look into downpipes etc. when the time comes.

Thanks in advance.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I have the R600 on my 290, it only took a small modification to the front left screw hole near the front grill to get it to fit - it's a small triangular piece to cut off. 30 seconds with a Stanley knife. The rest was just a direct fit. I recommend getting the inlet pipe and turbo elbow with it too. I replaced all that and the muffler delete. A tad expensive for all of it (£700ish) but the turbo and air auction noise is much nicer, throttle response is amazing and my mpg also increases. I get avg 30mpg in Cupra mode without even trying now. And that's driving in giddy mode at every opportunity!

Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG Black Edition
Racingline R600 intake

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
I have the R600 on my 290, it only took a small modification to the front left screw hole near the front grill to get it to fit - it's a small triangular piece to cut off. 30 seconds with a Stanley knife. The rest was just a direct fit. I recommend getting the inlet pipe and turbo elbow with it too. I replaced all that and the muffler delete. A tad expensive for all of it (£700ish) but the turbo and air auction noise is much nicer, throttle response is amazing and my mpg also increases. I get avg 30mpg in Cupra mode without even trying now. And that's driving in giddy mode at every opportunity!

Racingline R600 intake

Much appreciated mate, I'll be sure to look into adding the muffler delete and intake pipe to the shopping cart. If it's only a small modification to fit the R600 I think I'll go for it :)

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
It's a pretty obvious modification to see when you're fitting it - it's the only screw hole that doesn't sit flush :) I got the R600, turbo inlet, turbo elbow and muffler delete from Venomsport near Preston for like £680ish.

Racingline R600 intake

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
It's a pretty obvious modification to see when you're fitting it - it's the only screw hole that doesn't sit flush :) I got the R600, turbo inlet, turbo elbow and muffler delete from Venomsport near Preston for like £680ish.

Racingline R600 intake
How are you finding turbo spool? Any faster?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
The lag is certainly a lot less and the boost kicks in lower down the revs. Loving the sound of the air suction and turbo whistle when it winds up and then runs down. There is certainly a noticeable difference from the stock intake. Highly recommend it.

Racingline R600 intake

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
How do VAG justify having such a restricted air intake system? Sounds like eve the factory turbo inlet has baffles inside it..

Even though my car is financed I'm considering those mods. They look easily reversible (except the muffler delete), I have my own plans for an exhaust anyway.

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
How do VAG justify having such a restricted air intake system? Sounds like eve the factory turbo inlet has baffles inside it..

Even though my car is financed I'm considering those mods. They look easily reversible (except the muffler delete), I have my own plans for an exhaust anyway.

It's the same with how restricted the standard exhaust system is in the cupra. Good old VAG and their snobbery towards the poor man's golf lol.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
It's the same with how restricted the standard exhaust system is in the cupra. Good old VAG and their snobbery towards the poor man's golf lol.

So the Golf R is less restricted? I've never been in one to know how it sounds. My Cupra is the only car I've ever owned ( and I've had a few) that makes engine noise only.

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
So the Golf R is less restricted? I've never been in one to know how it sounds. My Cupra is the only car I've ever owned ( and I've had a few) that makes engine noise only.

Never seen the golf's standard system but I think it's less restricted than the Seat. The exhaust on the 280 was very quiet, Seat improved the exhaust on the 290. I remember reading that the standard exhaust on the 280 has different diameters in different sections of the system. I've removed the centre silencer from mine and it sounds much better but have ordered a catback system that will help improve flow and hopefully add some bhp.

Someone on here will be able to provide you with a much more technical answer, I'm no mechanic :whistle:

Last edited:

Liam0161

Apr 23, 2017
Manchester
Never seen the golf's standard system but I think it's less restricted than the Seat. The exhaust on the 280 was very quiet, Seat improved the exhaust on the 290. I remember reading that the standard exhaust on the 280 has different diameters in different sections of the system. I've removed the centre silencer from mine and it sounds much better but have ordered a catback system that will help improve flow and hopefully add some bhp.

Someone on here will be able to provide you with a much more technical answer, I'm no mechanic :whistle:
Was removing the silencer worth it? Did it make much difference to the noise as standard they are very quiet

Cupra jonny

Aug 6, 2012
How much did the powervalve exhaust set you back? Was looking at their website but there doesnt seem to be much info on there.

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
How much did the powervalve exhaust set you back? Was looking at their website but there doesnt seem to be much info on there.

Their website was getting redeveloped as far as I remember, it mightn't be fully finished.

Got quoted around £820 for the quad tipped power-valve sport cat back system (That includes delivery to NI).
A non power-valve system is slightly cheaper but the power-valve is still a good bit cheaper than a milltek so I thought it was a no brainer. They also do a "Prestige" version that has a bigger silencer and makes it slightly quieter than the sport model.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015

Racingline R600 intake

was the muffler delete easy to fit?

Astonishingly, I've been given permission to purchase all of these.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
It wasn't too difficult; what made it harder was the fact the jubilee clip screws were in an awkward position.
Be aware that the screw holes are slightly offset, so although they look like they could just fit on any way round, but in fact they only go on one way (took three attempts to get it right for me!) and the seals it comes with are a bit flimsy. Before installing, I suggest getting a couple spare just in case. I snapped one and had none spare.

Racingline R600 intake

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
Was removing the silencer worth it? Did it make much difference to the noise as standard they are very quiet

It's certainly a cheaper solution if you want more noise out of the car. A proper system will help gain performance, but the silencer removal definitely made a difference in terms of sound.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
It wasn't too difficult; what made it harder was the fact the jubilee clip screws were in an awkward position.
Be aware that the screw holes are slightly offset, so although they look like they could just fit on any way round, but in fact they only go on one way (took three attempts to get it right for me!) and the seals it comes with are a bit flimsy. Before installing, I suggest getting a couple spare just in case. I snapped one and had none spare.

Racingline R600 intake

Cheers, I'm seriously considering ordering all the 4 parts.
Does it technically improve BHP? I told directline it doesn't but I'm not too sure.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Cheers, I'm seriously considering ordering all the 4 parts.

Does it technically improve BHP? I told directline it doesn't but I'm not too sure.

I've not had it on a rolling road or anything to confirm if there is a BHP increase. If there is, must only be around 10 or so. It makes it more lively that's for sure. And you can hear the air intake and turbo working away a lot more. Surprisingly my insurance premium didn't go up with it, but my black exhaust tips put it up by £2 a month!

Racingline R600 intake

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.