Help with a creak in my steering?

Scousekidda

Sep 23, 2014
Got a really annoying creaking/crunching noise when I'm heavy steering at speed coming from front driver side, had a quickly tonight, ball joints and tie rods look OK. One thing I did notice which i never have before (never really looked before now tbh) is that with the wheel off and no load on the suspension the spring is quite loose! See video. Is this normal?

https://youtu.be/ZPD9s1JnbW4

I want to check out the passenger side to compare but short on time till weekend.

Cheers

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I'm also getting a creak on the passenger side of mine when stationary and clunking when going over speed bumps or particularly bumpy surfaces. Initially I thought it might be loose sub-frame bolts which is a known issue on the Mk2 Lean but on further inspection it doesn't appear to be that.

I've not jacked mine up yet but if I rock the passenger suspension strut with the car on the ground I can hear/fell the creak coming from the top of the suspension strut so I'm pretty sure that my issue is a worn top mount. That definitely looks to be the issue with yours.

Some of the other models seem to have some issues with top mounts but I couldn't really find any reports of issues with the Mk2 Leon, so it doesn't loom like a widespread problem on these models although it is obvious that such a problem can occur.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members