Brake discs

Cupra_liam

Aug 5, 2016
So I need to replace my front discs as they seem to be warped. I'm looking for a set of grooved discs but unsure what to go with. I want half decent ones but don't have the budget for the best of the best. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Brembo drilled discs around £100 on Euro Car Parts are decent to fit, if you wait until they have one of their discount codes you can save a bucket load.

Also, set up an account and put things in a basket, if you then leave them in there without checking out, they will send you a 30% code to finish the order :)

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Surprisingly cheap are Tarrox grooved discs. Think Demon Tweeks offer a couple of versions for our car. Great name in braking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
I'd recommend looking at BrakeDepot.co.uk their Evora discs are a V.good price (only used for rear disc though).

Or Eurocarparts have numerous options, but remember it's a lump of steel really so not sure how some brands get away with the price charged.

And just my two pence...

Drilled look good but otherwise I personally would avoid as prone to crack when get hot (depends on how you drive I suppose)

Grooved good for looks and cooling, not prone to cracking / hot spots, will wear out pads quicker than plain discs.

Plain discs, maximum pad to disc area contact = maximum friction.

So in general if for looks go drilled / grooved. If maximum cooling (heavy breaker, fast driver) Grooved. Track use, plain or grooved if have cooling issues.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I've got to replace the front disk's and pads as remap has warn things down pretty quick. Thinking about grooved disk's. Any recommendations for the lc not the R. 312mm I believe.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Cupra_liam

Aug 5, 2016
I'd recommend looking at BrakeDepot.co.uk their Evora discs are a V.good price (only used for rear disc though).

Or Eurocarparts have numerous options, but remember it's a lump of steel really so not sure how some brands get away with the price charged.

And just my two pence...

Drilled look good but otherwise I personally would avoid as prone to crack when get hot (depends on how you drive I suppose)

Grooved good for looks and cooling, not prone to cracking / hot spots, will wear out pads quicker than plain discs.

Plain discs, maximum pad to disc area contact = maximum friction.

So in general if for looks go drilled / grooved. If maximum cooling (heavy breaker, fast driver) Grooved. Track use, plain or grooved if have cooling issues.
Thanks mate that's good advice :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

irf

Feb 5, 2014
The standard brembos are pretty good.

I've done three nurburgring trips, two castle Combe trips (will do another in a month) and theyve held up very well. This is with ds2500s for the road and a selection of carbotech pads for the track which are very harsh. It's only now that there's a very slight lip forming and I do mean very slight. I'll change them at some point after Combe this year.

Got them for about £200 from sere motors but just in the last few days got a quote from mjr901 who I believe works at Worcester seat and they're cheaper although I don't remember the actual price.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
I didn't think the OP was asking for a full metalogical break down of the properties of steel and its alloys (unless someone reading this was suffering from insomnia) so summarized :) That's where Google could come in if Warping is a big problem.

For info. had no trouble with my Pagid plain discs and Carbotech XP10 pads on and off track.

Last edited:

irf

Feb 5, 2014
For info. had no trouble with my Pagid plain discs and Carbotech XP10 pads on and off track.

Have to admit I'm quite surprised at this. When I bought my car it had 3 month old pagid discs (got the receipt) and they were already warped! Had previously heard good things about them but because of that I've been avoiding them.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
In my experience: I fitted them new and the XP10 pads at the same time, bedded in as per instructions and they have been around Brands Hatch on four track days + 1 evening at Snetterton (running consistent 59 second laps of Brands). All in all done just over 2000 miles with them fitted. Also ran them on my Subaru STI and did a few track days with them and Mintex Pads, and my tuned Golf IV TDi before that, maybe I'm not trying hard enough :)

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Good to hear your experience, maybe I'll get off my high horse about them and call it a one off bad experience :D

59 second laps at brands hatch for us mere mortals is plenty quick enough.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Like anything you buy these days, an element of luck is involved due to cost cutting.

Mere mortals yes :) , considering the bargain these cars are and the cost of machinery we can keep with on the track. I've met a few M3 drivers with over 2K worth of brakes fitted and only getting in the low 57's, so the price of our discs is pretty good considering (back on topic :) ).

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.