Cupra v Golf r

percycars

Jan 26, 2014
I was out today test driving a 300 Cupra and a Golf R i was driving them both the same way and at the end of the drives the Cupra was showing 38 mpg but the Golf was only showing 25 is the Golf that much heavier on Fuel compared to the Cupra.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Yes, the R is heavier and has extra drivetrain losses over the Cupra.
Over a longer period the difference wouldn't be as much as you mentioned, but I'd estimate at least a 5mpg difference.

Springrollz

Jul 22, 2016
London
A 150kg weight discrepancy wouldn't result in a reduction of 10mpg. How long was the drive for ? Were the cars warm when you started? Many factors to account for

philmots

Jan 29, 2017
Leeds
For reference I'm 1380 miles into my Cupra 300 with a calculated average of 31.63 mpg, that's steadily going up..

The 4wd cars get off the line really well but are slower at all other points.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I was out today test driving a 300 Cupra and a Golf R i was driving them both the same way and at the end of the drives the Cupra was showing 38 mpg but the Golf was only showing 25 is the Golf that much heavier on Fuel compared to the Cupra.

I have a long term average in my Cupra 280 of 33mpg, although I have seen well over 40mpg on a longer run. A friend who has a Golf R and who's usage is similar to me, averages 23mpg.

So yes, there is quite a difference. Although as others state, driving style and use will all play a part.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.