Spring has sprung.....

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Actually it has broken - first one on this Altea, fifth in the last 7 years of assorted vehicle ownership. Rear offside went as we left Ikea (only lightly laden!!) and unusually has broken at the top - all others have been at the bottom where the coil sits in crud etc. On inspection it needs urgent replacement as it doesn't sit in the top mount correctly so will be taking it in to the local garage for replacement on Friday - quoted a very reasonable £98 for the job, assuming only the spring needs replacing.

The joys of UK motoring with speed bumps, potholes and salted roads.......

E17OTL

Dec 23, 2016
Surrey
Replacing the rear spring is one bolt! You need stands, a trolley jack or bottle jack (to raise the bottom arm back up to the hub), 18mm socket and open spanner and lots of penetrating spray. It's a doddle of a job and doing it yourself will save you a few quid too.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Yes it looked quite straightforward but one small issue was the inability to get the locking wheel stud off - have the key but it slips and I don't have an impact driver to provide the umph while still keeping the socket key square - the garage will have (hopefully!). Looks as if it may be possible to do the job with the wheel on but the motoring gods are watching of course and will provide a puncture shortly so could do with the wheel coming off anyway!

Also need to play golf and build wardrobes before Saturday to keep happy wife happy life syndrome intact...... Will tackle the next one should it come!

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Replacing the rear spring is one bolt! You need stands, a trolley jack or bottle jack (to raise the bottom arm back up to the hub), 18mm socket and open spanner and lots of penetrating spray. It's a doddle of a job and doing it yourself will save you a few quid too.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
All day long.... Popped the altea in for a mot and failed on rear springs got quoted £289 for replacement hahaha!!! Went next door gsf carparts grabbed two for £69 (discounted) got the cars jack and my bottle jack from the car and my mini toolbox fitted them 20 mins later they came out and passed me the mot certificate (they did watch me do it)

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
All done on time and to the quoted price so rattle gone and wife happy that car will not disintegrate at roadside...... £98 at local independent (Steve Mott in Braintree who got the job :)), £151 at Halfords and local SEAT dealer did not even call me back after I left details at service reception....... Wonder who will be doing the MOT and service in October??

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise