LED trailer lights not working properly

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
Hi guys

I'm in the process of sprucing up an old trailer my father-in-law has, first on the agenda was to fix the damaged and non working rear lights. I purchased a pair of LED light fittings and connected them up. I seem to have a few problems.

Firstly the indicators when switched on either using the hazard light switch or the indicator stalk flash twice (close together) before a long pause where they they then flash twice again. The pattern is repeated until switched off.

Secondly the sidelights when switched on flash, at a I guess approximately 60-80 times a minute until switched off.

The brake lights seem to work properly.

I've checked all connections and renewed the 7 pin plug on the trailer. There isn't an issue with the vehicles wiring as the lights on the cycle carrier I own work normally, the only difference is the type of lights fitted to each.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul20v

Jul 16, 2016
You will proberly find its because of the leds
They do cause problems with a lot of trailer electrics
The car is looking for the correct loads caused by a normal bulb but when leds are fitted and can cause lots of strange thing too happen
Have you plugged in a standard trailer board too test the car ?

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
I have tried my tow bar mounted cycle carrier, all lights work ok just the LEDs on the trailer.

adsfisher

Sep 6, 2015
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Do you have a bypass relay fitted to the electrics for the towbar inside the car?

Sounds/looks like it it might be the canbus sending a pulse down the cables checking the lights are not broken. Normal bulbs cant pick this up but the more sensitive LED's do.

If it really annoys you i would say get a bypass relay fitted. They are only 15 on flea bay and wild easy to fit.

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
Not sure if I have a bypass relay fitted or not, I get a second turn signal light on the dash when the electrics are plugged in to my normal bulbed bike carrier. I have ended up getting round the problem by buying another set of normal trailer lights, just would have been nice to have the LEDs working.

Thank you for your reply

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.