Cupra 180 (auq) over heating on idle? No fans?

kcoles1

Jun 3, 2017
As title says, my cupra has recently started to over heat when sitting in traffic for a while, I've realised the fans aren't kicking in either? As soon as I'm back driving it cools down quickly and sits dead on half maybe a millimetre over. Also if I start the ac/heating right up (in traffic whilst it's over heating) it cools down, rather quick too? I'm baffled and can only find things for the bam engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcoles1

Jun 3, 2017
it could be your stat, have you got a code scanner? maybe someone else on here might be able to shed some light on it too

I've got Delphi although nothing is coming up? No engine light, nothing

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
As title says, my cupra has recently started to over heat when sitting in traffic for a while, I've realised the fans aren't kicking in either? As soon as I'm back driving it cools down quickly and sits dead on half maybe a millimetre over. Also if I start the ac/heating right up (in traffic whilst it's over heating) it cools down, rather quick too? I'm baffled and can only find things for the bam engine.

Have a search on here for "slow speed fan problem" it's possible you have that. The fans should be working long before it overheats.

Overheating too much can seriously damage the engine so it needs to be sorted asap

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
So if you start it up with the air con off and then press the snowflake button do the radiator fans come on? If so are they steady or do they pulsate? Are they normal speed or hurricane speed?

kcoles1

Jun 3, 2017
So if you start it up with the air con off and then press the snowflake button do the radiator fans come on? If so are they steady or do they pulsate? Are they normal speed or hurricane speed?

Yes they do, they're all balanced and run at a normal pace, not silly fast. No pulsating either?

kcoles1

Jun 3, 2017
Have a search on here for "slow speed fan problem" it's possible you have that. The fans should be working long before it overheats.

Overheating too much can seriously damage the engine so it needs to be sorted asap

They only work off the air con, won't come on at all even when the car is about to implode yeah I know, it's annoying too!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Sounds like it could be the themoswitch, the one in the radiator itself, rather than the coolant temperature sensor.

The CTS drives the ECU and the dashboard gauge with two different sensors in the same housing, and is fitted into the coolant piping somewhere off the head.

The thermoswitch is mounted in the radiator itself and detects when the radiator gets hot, and switches the fans on to suit (via the fan control module if you have aircon).

The thermoswtich isn't monitored by the ECU and no fault code will show up for it.

Shaggy's FR TDi

Feb 5, 2017
Start engine from cold. When temp gauge on dash starts to move check pipes going to radiator. Should still be cold. When temp gauge gets to normal running temp they should get hot as the stat opens to keep engine cool. If not warming up then stat is seized closed. Change thermostat..... if coolant flowing through radiator at normal run temp then it's the sensor in radiator so change that.
If not fixed then relay switch for fans but air con turns them on so relay sounds good..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jamfull

Feb 6, 2011
check the fuses on top of the battery .if your fans are not coming on green ones. check they are not corroded.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Sounds like it could be the themoswitch, the one in the radiator itself, rather than the coolant temperature sensor.

The CTS drives the ECU and the dashboard gauge with two different sensors in the same housing, and is fitted into the coolant piping somewhere off the head.

The thermoswitch is mounted in the radiator itself and detects when the radiator gets hot, and switches the fans on to suit (via the fan control module if you have aircon).

The thermoswtich isn't monitored by the ECU and no fault code will show up for it.

+1 check the switch

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise