Filling up

FR200

FR200
Apr 3, 2017
London
Need some advice on my Leon FR petrol auto dsg.

Full tank filled up, gives me approx 180 miles. Normal driving, do get stuck in traffic time to time.

Im getting really frustrated filling up 100 pounds a month, and I'm sure something is not right with the car. Recently I had eml come on with evaporative emission purge flow issue, I'm not sure if this is anything to do with it. Cars had a service, I even use the redex occasionally to clean the insides. When I fill up, I do it till max, like still pulling the nozzle out and brimming it, put the needle never goes exactly to the full needle, like in some cars it goes past slightly. Taken to mechanics and as you know, everyone has different diagnosis.

Sold my diesel leon to maybe get a smoother rude, less dpf signs coming up. But it seems this car is like driving a rolls Royce on the economy side.

Anywhere I can check, any pipes, filters, nozzles. Anything?

Throw any suggestions, all is welcome
9af5475b040de2814e0e2de9c8af0026.jpg

Leon FR 200

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
What does the trip say you are averaging?

I do short trips and boot it alot in mine and I average 27.9, the tech spec has Urban MPG as 28 so its pretty much bang on.

I think urban on yours is about 25.

FR200

FR200
Apr 3, 2017
London
Max I get is about 18 mpg. I do short trips too. But it's seriously killing me as I've had 3.0 litre cars and they were not that bad. Maybe something somebody know that I can check that may likely cause this issue?

Leon FR 200

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Max I get is about 18 mpg. I do short trips too. But it's seriously killing me as I've had 3.0 litre cars and they were not that bad. Maybe something somebody know that I can check that may likely cause this issue?

Leon FR 200

Unless you are noticing other issues I would just put it down to being an older less economic engine, especially if you are doing short stop/start trips as well.

Have you recently had it serviced and fresh oil?

I'd maybe try getting it Terracleaned.

Last edited:

FR200

FR200
Apr 3, 2017
London
I had the oil changed 1 month ago, but I've noticed it keeps going low. Good reminder! Thx

Leon FR 200

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I think you definitely have an issue somewhere. We had an FR 211 and an R, used to average 280-300 to a tank, mainly stop start journeys of 5 miles twice a day. Both vehicles were manual, although yours being an auto shouldn't make that much difference.

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
You definitely have an issue somewhere. I have a Stage 1 Revo Cupra and I get well over 220 miles to a tank around town and on short journeys. Even when giving the car a lot of stick, it'll usually do over 250 miles to a tank.

chriskeegan

Seat Leon FR+
May 14, 2017
Kent
Definitely something not right.

I filled up 2 weeks ago with VPower and having done quite a bit of motorway driving and some town driving I have just managed 415 miles on a tank. Think my average was 37.9mpg and that was giving it some beans every now and again!

Chris.

notorious_d

Notorious_D
Jun 7, 2017
This sounds like horrendous MPG mate something is definitely up. My K1 is stage 1 and I get at LEAST 160 miles on £30 Vpower, which is about half a tank (24mpg mixed urban + highway).

I would then point to the auto gearbox, as they do consume more than a manual, however I had an R32 DSG and still averaged around 22mpg.

Sounds like an issue somewhere, also terraclean is pointless on these engines.

Really? Why not?? I would say get an engine clean done as carbon + oil build up can make your engine run like crap.

Hope this gets sorted mate :shrug:

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Really? Why not?? I would say get an engine clean done as carbon + oil build up can make your engine run like crap.

Yes build up in the inlet on the TFSI engine can be an issue, but the way terraclean works (injected in the fuel, directly into the cylinder) doesn't reach the parts in the inlet caked in gunk.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
This sounds like horrendous MPG mate something is definitely up. My K1 is stage 1 and I get at LEAST 160 miles on £30 Vpower, which is about half a tank (24mpg mixed urban + highway).

I would then point to the auto gearbox, as they do consume more than a manual, however I had an R32 DSG and still averaged around 22mpg.

Its the other way around, DSG boxes are better economy than manual. [B)]

notorious_d

Notorious_D
Jun 7, 2017
Its the other way around, DSG boxes are better economy than manual. [B)]

Im afraid you are mis-informed on this one mate....

Any automatic box vs manual box on the same car, same engine, will give you less economy. The reason being, the car has to power the auto box which does all the clutch & gear selection for you. Manual means your left foot + hand would otherwise do that work.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013

Any automatic box vs manual box on the same car, same engine, will give you less economy. The reason being, the car has to power the auto box which does all the clutch & gear selection for you. Manual means your left foot + hand would otherwise do that work.

But can you always change gear instantly to keep the car in the most economical gear like the DSG can?

In reality though arguments about efficiency in gear shifting are rendered moot by how much heavier the DSG box is vs. a manual box.

The petrol FR, the car in question in this thread, has a stated kerb weight 30kg heavier with a DSG than with a manual box. DSG variants will typically be geared a little shorter to compensate for the extra weight which further knocks the economy.

Last edited:

notorious_d

Notorious_D
Jun 7, 2017
But can you always change gear instantly to keep the car in the most economical gear like the DSG can?

In reality though arguments about efficiency in gear shifting are rendered moot by how much heavier the DSG box is vs. a manual box.

The petrol FR, the car in question in this thread, has a stated kerb weight 30kg heavier with a DSG than with a manual box. DSG variants will typically be geared a little shorter to compensate for the extra weight which further knocks the economy.

Stated combined economy figure for the manual petrol FR is 45.6 mpg against 38.7 for the DSG. (38.5 vs 28.5 urban mpg.)

Well yeah driving economically is something most people learn how to do.... not something I do too much of :D :D

So are you saying its because of an extra 30KG, the car lost 6.9 MPG?? What about when people sit in there?....:cartman: Nahh..

Autos are (99% of the time) are slightly more thirsty than the manual version of the same car.. :mic drop:

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Haha! Good point, I read the wrong column! I must have been dozing earlier. Oops!

The DSG drops 2.5 mpg on extra-urban driving and 1 mpg on the combined figure.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
The DSG diesel FR (CR 170) drops 5.3 mpg on extra-urban and 2.9 mpg on the combined figure due to the shorter gearing on the DSG.

70 MPH is about 90 RPM higher in 6th gear on the DSG vs. the manual.

Last edited:

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston

I'm talking just given figures not real world but all the newer cars figures DSG is the same or better MPG.

The Mk2 diesel and petrol figures are lower, I think the petrol is like 1 difference but the MK1 petrol they are both the same.

I test drove a GT86 a while back as well and remember looking up about that, the auto in that is a torque converter and the figures are 2-3 higher for the auto.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.