Help with head unit replacement

Strongey01

Jan 24, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my head unit to a double din sat nav unit - Either an upgrade to the seat supplied unit or an aftermarket one i'm unsure yet

If i replace the unit, will the factory handsfree and PDC still work? and the steering controls?

anything else i need to consider when looking for a replacement unit?

Cheers

Paul20v

Jul 16, 2016
Hi
Just done the same by putting a nav in
I used an a3 unit with the HD screen and led back light also has the 2x32gb card slots instead of the 2x4gb the older one has out of a4s
Only thing is I needed an a4 front facia but it's done now
All coded for seat and in full working order
I would have got an exeo one but couldn't find one in good condition.

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
I'm really interested to know how this has been done and if all functionality of the steering wheel controls and the on small display by the dials still work. Have you got any pictures please??

Tazman

May 1, 2017
N Somerset
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my head unit to a double din sat nav unit - Either an upgrade to the seat supplied unit or an aftermarket one i'm unsure yet

If i replace the unit, will the factory handsfree and PDC still work? and the steering controls?

anything else i need to consider when looking for a replacement unit?

Cheers

Are you still looking?

mikewardhq

May 8, 2017
I'd also appreciate some help with this. Just bought a 2L diesel sport Exeo (170).

I got a few prices for a new head unit but it's coming out as redicilously expensive. I'm just after a unit which has DAB and sat Nav.

I'm happy to put a second hand one in but am unsure which would fit. If I get one from an Audi A4 will it fit?? Any suggestions / models anyone can recommend?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
I'd also appreciate some help with this. Just bought a 2L diesel sport Exeo (170).

I got a few prices for a new head unit but it's coming out as redicilously expensive. I'm just after a unit which has DAB and sat Nav.

I'm happy to put a second hand one in but am unsure which would fit. If I get one from an Audi A4 will it fit?? Any suggestions / models anyone can recommend?

just type audi RNS-E into ebay search and you`ll get loads of hits, anything that says A3 or TT won`t fit, look for ones that came out of A4`s.

My understanding is that these are AM/FM only so for DAB you will need a separate adapter. And even the Bluetooth will only handle phone calls, they will not play music from your phone.

I like the look of the OEM head unit but for the above reasons I`ll stick with the factory fitted (and much hated) Pioneer one instead. It only switched itself off once in about 5 weeks...

If you can get a head unit that plays music over BT then DAB shouldn`t be so important. I play music through Spotify and use the TuneIn radio app to listen to Talksport, etc.

mikewardhq

May 8, 2017
Thanks. Appreciate your time spent giving me the info. Looks like I've got a few options available.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I use a Tune2Air adapter to play over bluetooth - the RNS sees it as a CD player. It's far from perfect (no track names) but does stream.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.