Occasional lag/poor throttle response

Apr 12, 2010
Now and again my 280 acts as if there is no turbo at all below 3k rpm and sometimes its fine. Top end power seems ok but low down, when it has a funny turn, its incredibly poor and laggy lower in the rpm range and sounds a bit "throatier" until it hits 3k ish rpm and comes on boost. Now it hasn't always been like this and I'm absolutely convinced that there's a tinkly rattle just as it comes on boost and it whistles more than it used to.

I just wanted to get an idea of what it could be before its in for this next week. (I suspect a faulty turbo or diverter valve), car is totally standard has covered 11k miles on a 2015 plate seems to run fine otherwise. Temperature makes no difference and its only been run on v power, driver profile settings make no change to the issue.

Anyone else had and solved a similar issue?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Now and again my 280 acts as if there is no turbo at all below 3k rpm and sometimes its fine. Top end power seems ok but low down, when it has a funny turn, its incredibly poor and laggy lower in the rpm range and sounds a bit "throatier" until it hits 3k ish rpm and comes on boost. Now it hasn't always been like this and I'm absolutely convinced that there's a tinkly rattle just as it comes on boost and it whistles more than it used to.

I just wanted to get an idea of what it could be before its in for this next week. (I suspect a faulty turbo or diverter valve), car is totally standard has covered 11k miles on a 2015 plate seems to run fine otherwise. Temperature makes no difference and its only been run on v power, driver profile settings make no change to the issue.

Anyone else had and solved a similar issue?

Sounds like a dodgy boost hose to me. Check for leaks.

Apr 12, 2010
Had it up in the air last night. No sign of any obvious boost leaks, all hoses are fine and tight.

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Might be sticky veins in the turbo.i had that on my altea and forte cleaner has fixed it

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Boab

Knows nothing about cars!
Mar 22, 2017
Edinburgh
Is there turbo below 3k rpm?
I get this with my 280 but I put it down to the dsg guessing wrong as it's usually only after I have been on the brakes but not dropped into first like when approaching a roundabout. It can take a second or two to get going again. Once it wakes up it soon catches up with what I'm doing and the car just goes again. Like I say only happens after I have been breaking. Any other time whenever I touch the accelerator the car just wants to shoot off. Owned for 4 months now and smiling more every time I drive it.

Apr 12, 2010
Not had chance to poke around the dv yet, just wanted to add that mine is a manual... and has been fine today! Its a lottery as to whether its right or not! When it does it its like there is absolutely sod all below 3k rpm if I'm going up hill I have to change down whereas normally it'd be fine.

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
Mine is a manual and there is a problem with boost or power or so after doing an extremely hard braking, like from 200 to 70 km/h and then stepping on the gas, sometimes it is dead for like 2 or 3 seconds.

Trying gas and brake at the same time gives similar behavior, seems as if the electronics shuts down the engine?

Any ideas?

DrEv1l

Mar 17, 2017
My 290 displayes a similar thing - it is pretty much exactly at 2750 revs and it feels like there I have lifted off the throttle slightly when in fact i have kept is consistant. it happens in half throttle, full beans i dont notice it and it is in 2nd gear. mine is manual so i thought that is could be due to the slightly different torque mapping on the manual cars to protect the clutch and gearbox. Anyone know if this is correct?

Apr 12, 2010
Still not had chance to poke about, it started off ok this morning and then went all laggy. Its in the garage tomorrow so i'll point them at DV, turbo etc... I already know that they'll probably "be unable to replicate" the fault!

Apr 12, 2010
Just to update this. Got the car back this morning, loads of stored fault codes which all came back to the variable valve lift system... Two solenoids have been replaced and the car feels a lot smoother than previously and appears to be running spot on with no odd noises etc.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members