DSG Question

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Does anyone with a DSG put their car in neutral or park when they stop at lights or in slow moving traffic?

I never know whether to just leave the car in drive and hold the foot brake, but surely that cannot be good for the clutch or gearbox long term?

I do notice that the revs drop down to 800/850 rpm when in drive and with the foot on the brake, and as soon as I lift off the brake, they go up to about 1100 - so the car must do something to make it ok to just leave it in drive when at a stop?

Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG Black Edition (Alor Blue)
Performance: Racingline R600 Intake | Racingline Turbo Inlet Pipe | Racingline Turbo Elbow | Racingline Muffler Delete | OEM NGK Audi RS7 Spark Plugs | 034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount
Interior: Koonlung K1S Dash Cam with BlackVue Power Magic Pro
Exterior: TRC Front Splitter | Foliatec Exhaust Paint Gloss Black

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
I used to knock it into neutral but I noticed that the clutch disengages when you press your foot more firmly on the brake pedal so I don't bother now.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I don't have a Mk3 so the DSG may work slightly different on mine but if I put the stick into neutral I can hear a definite change in tone from the gearbox which means with it still in D it must be spinning some additional shafts in the gearbox.

So, to reduce any unnecessary wear and tear on bearings, however minimal that might be, I stick it into neutral if I know I'm going to be stopped for more than 10-20 seconds. I also take my foot of the brake and put the handbrake on. Doing this also adds some consideration for the driver behind so they aren't forced to look at my glaring brake lights for longer than necessary.

I never put the stick into P unless I'm actually parking the car because to get to P you have to push the stick through R and then back through R again before setting off. Doing that can be unnerving to a driver behind when they suddenly see the reverse lights come on as the traffic lights go green!

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
You should notice the clutch engage/disengage based on the foot pressure applied to the brake, quite clever really. I used to put it into neutral but too many times the light would go green and I'd rev the engine before remembering to put it in D.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
You should notice the clutch engage/disengage based on the foot pressure applied to the brake, quite clever really. I used to put it into neutral but too many times the light would go green and I'd rev the engine before remembering to put it in D.

Yeah I do that all the time! Revving away whilst not moving anywhere - getting a bit annoyed at it so thought I'd ask if anyone leaves it in drive.

Good to know though - cheers!

Performance: Racingline R600 Intake | Racingline Turbo Inlet Pipe | Racingline Turbo Elbow | Racingline Muffler Delete | OEM NGK Audi RS7 Spark Plugs | 034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
Yeah I do that all the time! Revving away whilst not moving anywhere - getting a bit annoyed at it so thought I'd ask if anyone leaves it in drive.

Good to know though - cheers!

Once I properly noticed it happening consistently, I felt ok about doing it all the time.

Getting close to 4K done in my 290 and its getting quicker and quicker. The turbo muffler delete and the turbo inlet pipe made more of a difference then I thought they would. New intake next hopefully ( have to get the Minister of War and Finance on side first)

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Once I properly noticed it happening consistently, I felt ok about doing it all the time.

Getting close to 4K done in my 290 and its getting quicker and quicker. The turbo muffler delete and the turbo inlet pipe made more of a difference then I thought they would. New intake next hopefully ( have to get the Minister of War and Finance on side first)

I had a suspicion that the car dipped the clutch, but wasn't sure. Didn't fancy burning out the clutch and gearbox, especially after seeing the price of the replacements!

I've done 14k in my 290, off to Racingline in a week to get stage one done. Can't wait!

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees

What's more clever is the PDK boxes on Porsche's. When in drive and stopped at lights you can do a firm press on the brake then let go. It enables the hold function (tells you on the dash) and it will stay like that until you put your throttle back on!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
What's more clever is the PDK boxes on Porsche's. When in drive and stopped at lights you can do a firm press on the brake then let go. It enables the hold function (tells you on the dash) and it will stay like that until you put your throttle back on!

The higher spec ford transits do the same thing as well.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017

Does this on my MY17 manual fr if you have hold assist turned on. Not sure but would assume it's the same for the dsg?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
on a 2.0 TDI DSG, when your Start Stop is off, it will drop revs, and disengage clutch. Lightly depress brake, but still holding car from going, revs will rise and clutch engages.
I once tried to start on a hill with left foot on brake, right foot, gas (from San Francisco hill experience on old school Auto), won't go. Guess clutch is not engaged.

Most of the time...if I just arrive at the lights, and it turns red, I let the engine turn off (as I know it will be more than 10 secs)

Hill hold from my experience works only if you come to complete stop. I once was going up a hill, quite a steep one, didn't come to complete stop, went from moving forward to started rolling back without coming to a stop, and hill hold didn't kick it, and it was in D.

Also hill hold, only holds for 2 secs or so, only in D. In N, it still rolls back. And it doesn't work (at least I havne't seen it work) if you are reversing up a hill, it won't stop you from rolling forward!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

I wonder if Audis have these...if I'm not mistaken, if launch control engaged in these Porsches, left foot hard on brake, wait for boost to build, while right foot flat on gas, when you let go brake, it launches forward.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I wonder if Audis have these...if I'm not mistaken, if launch control engaged in these Porsches, left foot hard on brake, wait for boost to build, while right foot flat on gas, when you let go brake, it launches forward.

Correct. Left foot hard on the break, right foot to the floor, let go of the brake.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Yes it is. Firm press holds car in neutral, throttle releases it. Auto handbrake though.

Yeah that's the one. There's no time limit to it now either like there used to be on older hill hold systems which I like about it.

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
Clutch is still engaged in D/S and foot down. Just log with vagcom gearbox and preasure for the cluthes.
Preasure drops with shifter in N or P. That said i still let it be in D..

Sent using my fingers, above contents might (will) have traces of bad gramar

Xelaz

Nov 10, 2017
Stockholm
I can feel the clutch engage more in sport mode than in normal drive on the DSG, so it is difinitely engaging even when holding your foot firm on the break!