Condensation in headlights

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Hi,
I've read a few threads on here about removing condensation from headlights however none provide specifics or a guide.

My car has Xenons if it makes any difference and one headlight is getting more and more water in it.

I tried at the weekend removing the sidelights and running lights to blow air in using a hairdryer however there isn't enough room.

I read that some people have had success removing the "cover" and running the headlights whilst driving around for a couple of days.

Which cover is this? the rubber one covering the sidelights/running light?

Is it possible to remove the xenon component and blow air using that gap?

I'm now getting a warning on the AFS, I assume this is due to the moisture, any other thoughts?

Once (if) i get the moisture out, how can I keep it out? it's worse following washing the car, does that suggest the seal on the top is gone?

It's all rather annoying :(

Last edited:

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I had this in my headlights with normal bulbs. I removed the largest cover on the back of the headlights in the morning and left it for the day while I was at work for it to dry out naturally. This hot weather is perfect for it. It's not reoccurred since.

The cover I left off was the largest one on the back of the headlight, I think it was to gain access to the main halogen bulb. Might be different on your one as you have Xenons.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Yeah, that's my concern.

I assume it was number 3 on here you removed?
http://www.oemepc.com/files/img/Bilder/418/418941000.png

I wonder if removing 5 on here would have the same affect
http://www.oemepc.com/files/img/Bilder/456/456941200.png

Yeah number 3 is exactly the one I left off, and I'm going to say you should leave off number 5, then see how it is after that. I'm not sure you should leave it off while driving, maybe leave it off when the car is stationary only. Don't want dust or dirt getting into it.

Is there a small rubber seal around the cover? Maybe it's not straight? I had that issue on my front fog light, kept getting a large pool of water accumulating in it, turns out once I took my time and adjusted the rubber seal and put back in, it's been fine.

Last edited:

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Well I got the moist out using a hairdryer after removing the black cover, unfortunately the black cover was already damaged on two mounting points so I need a new one of them.

Also still got the AFS dash error, anyone any thoughts on that?

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I'd say that's good news for one problem as you now know the most likely reason for the condensation.

As for the error light, I don't think i can be much help as it may be specific to Xenon headlights which I don't have.

Maybe check the wires and connections, if water was getting in there, you don't know for how long and may have caused a bit of corrosion on something?

t121anf

May 14, 2004
I read somewhere that you need to remove the fuse prior to messing with the xenon lights, well I removed the ones according to my SEAT hadnbook but alas the light still lit up.

If I disconnect the battery will I need a code to make the radio work? (I seem to recall in some previous car that if the radio was disconnected for a long time the code was required)

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
With regards to the radio, in my experience it's 50/50. If you don't have the code for your radio, a dealer should be able to give it to you, all they do is enter the code on the side of the unit in to their machine and it gives them the code; takes seconds and they shouldn't charge you for it, I think it's morally wrong IMO as it's no effort whatsoever.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Also still got the AFS dash error, anyone any thoughts on that?

Before you start disconnecting batteries etc, have you scanned the car to see what the actual AFS fault codes are? The dash display just shows a generic warning/error message. The actual fault codes should help to give you a better idea what is causing that error.

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Following up on this, I replaced the large plastic rear cover as 2 of the 4 mounts were damaged (not by me removing it to air the condensation out) and so far no more condensation.

We were away camping the last few days and had a few heavy rainfalls so I'm confident it's resolved, but only washing the car will prove it completely.