Looking at buying a cupra r with high miles

AdcupraR

Jul 16, 2017
Hi just after some advice
I'm looking at a cupra r on Saturday it has a full service history loads of paper work etc

But it has 120,000 miles on the clock I do want to do some upgrades to stage 2 eventually

I'm just wondering will this mileage be a issue ? Would I be better off waiting to find a lower miles example?

They want £3500 for it

irf

Feb 5, 2014
I wouldn't be too concerned. What year is it? Even if it's a 2005, it's 12 years old so about average mileage for the year.

Check when the timing belts been done though.

The only thing I would say though and it goes for any car of this age, things can and do come up and on any particular car it'll only become obvious once you've had the car for a little while.

Fwiw mine is on 106 or 108k, been at stage 2 for a couple of years and been doing trackdays and nurburgring trips. all good....... so far.

AdcupraR

Jul 16, 2017
It's a 05 reg , I know for the age it's about right to be fair, I'm Just concerned as to the tuning side of things timing belt and pump all been done

I know these engines can do miles if well cared for the problem is there's not knowing how it's been treated for most of its life

I've been offered a 2001 Leon cupra 180 with 90k miles 1 owner completely standard tempting how ever it's not a r that's what outs me off that one

I think I'm a little confused on what to do there both near where I live also

Any advice much appreciated

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Buy the cupra 180 for what £1,000 at most and stick the other £2,500 into it.
Granted it won't look like an r but done right

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mines done 150 I've just spent over a grand on it and I'm only selling for a grand. In a month or two.
I've looked after it for 9 years.
Don't think you should pay anywhere near 3500 for a Cupra. Looked after or not tbh.

Sent using The Force

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Mines done 150 I've just spent over a grand on it and I'm only selling for a grand. In a month or two.
Don't think you should pay anywhere near 3500 for a Cupra. Looked after or not tbh.

Sent using The Force
No a cupra isn't worth cupra r money at all..what I was saying is if he brought a cupra for 1k and sank 2.5k into it, it would be either a well pampered car or one fast car.
To me the cupra r is nice but I like the understated look of the cupra and seeing off many many high end cars with it I don't see the fuss. Breaks are cool but my s3 calipers work well and the bumpers/skirts are just more to clean

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
No a cupra isn't worth cupra r money at all..what I was saying is if he brought a cupra for 1k and sank 2.5k into it, it would be either a well pampered car or one fast car.
To me the cupra r is nice but I like the understated look of the cupra and seeing off many many high end cars with it I don't see the fuss. Breaks are cool but my s3 calipers work well and the bumpers/skirts are just more to clean

I agree with you. Quoted you Andrew instead of original poster. My mistake.
Yeah I'd do as you're saying.

Sent using The Force

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset

Sent using The Force

Hi sparkie, if you do sell in your Cupra, would you be interested in selling on here? I ask as I'm in 2 minds about shelling out further on badboy as it need the clutch/gearbox addressed at some point. As that will be a grand, may consider buying another cupra at some point. Don't know where your based but I know you look after your cars! A few dodgy ones up for sale atm.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi sparkie, if you do sell in your Cupra, would you be interested in selling on here? I ask as I'm in 2 minds about shelling out further on badboy as it need the clutch/gearbox addressed at some point. As that will be a grand, may consider buying another cupra at some point. Don't know where your based but I know you look after your cars! A few dodgy ones up for sale atm.

For sure bud. Happy to let it go to a proper Seat lover.
As said just dropped 1400 quid on it. Have details on all that was done. No receipt as we use barter system. He knows my carpentry is bang on and I know his mechanical skills very well.
So in return I hung his oak doors and put in a mini stud wall. Tbh you can see loads of new bits when you pop the bonnet.
Don't want to sound like an ad!
In short yes. No probs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
I don't doubt it's a superb car, thanks mate. I will have to approach the other half tactfully. I know it's a great opportunity, but my enthusiasm is not equally shared! Roughly, where do you live? We live outside of Bath. I will keep you posted if I can persue this seriously, (would if I were in charge!):cry:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I don't doubt it's a superb car, thanks mate. I will have to approach the other half tactfully. I know it's a great opportunity, but my enthusiasm is not equally shared! Roughly, where do you live? We live outside of Bath. I will keep you posted if I can persue this seriously, (would if I were in charge!):cry:

Nr Heathrow. I can always have a mate follow me and do 100 miles in your direction.
Sure we can work it out if it comes to fruition.

Sent using The Force

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
That's very good of you mate. I'll have some talks, I will get a grilling first:wtf: lol. Seriously, I will give it some real thought, thanks bud.

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
For sure bud. Happy to let it go to a proper Seat lover.
As said just dropped 1400 quid on it. Have details on all that was done. No receipt as we use barter system. He knows my carpentry is bang on and I know his mechanical skills very well.
So in return I hung his oak doors and put in a mini stud wall. Tbh you can see loads of new bits when you pop the bonnet.
Don't want to sound like an ad!
In short yes. No probs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi mate, no luck convincing other half yet. :confused: don't want to mess you around. Keep me posted when you do decide to sell, I know I'll be facing a few decisions in the near future, just can't yet. :cry:

Cheers for everything.
Nic

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi mate, no luck convincing other half yet. :confused: don't want to mess you around. Keep me posted when you do decide to sell, I know I'll be facing a few decisions in the near future, just can't yet. :cry:

Cheers for everything.

Nic

No worries.
My step son is looking into insurance for it. He's a new driver so they may hit him hard in which case it will still be available soon. If he can take the hit he may want the car.
I offered it to him 3 months ago.
You know kids! No feedback.
I don't want to mess you about either.
I'll know by next Sunday as his test is Saturday!!
Evil insurers charge him more because he's a mechanic!! Work that out!?!

Sent using The Force

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
No worries.
My step son is looking into insurance for it. He's a new driver so they may hit him hard in which case it will still be available soon. If he can take the hit he may want the car.
I offered it to him 3 months ago.
You know kids! No feedback.
I don't want to mess you about either.
I'll know by next Sunday as his test is Saturday!!
Evil insurers charge him more because he's a mechanic!! Work that out!?!

Sent using The Force

These insurance companies are robbing *******s. You'd think a mechanic would be a asset come insurance. Good luck with his test! I feel sorry for kids today, they are shafted for everything & they should be given a fair chance. After all most of the ageing drivers are deadly in the road.
My daughter wants an FR when she's older (only 8!) My son doesn't talk (11 now, so communication like you said is on the decline!)

Cheers.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members