Manual mode on DSG kickdown over rev issue (184TDI)

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Hi everyone,

Had my 184 DSG for a while now and I'v finally got round to asking this question.

When you have it across in manual mode say your sat in 6th gear at X speed when you kick down it automatically changes down (as you expect) but is almost always goes into the gear lower than it should so the engine revs end up at over 4000rpm which then I need to change up straight away to get some power.

Why does it do this? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance,

Zac

Havsgaard

Jan 15, 2014
Denmark
I havent tried that in manual mode, didnt even know it changed automatically on kick down in manual

However, what you describe, is what I experience in sport mode. Too often the dsg ends in 4th, and keeps it there, where it in my oppinion should have been in 5th. This is the reason why im driving in D 99% of the time, and when having fun, I always go in manual. Next time im in manual, I will give it a try with kick down, see what it does

Vkr
/H

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
If it's a petrol at 4000rpm do you really need to upshift?

I didn't want a DSG because I was scared of holding a corner at 6000rpm in 3rd gear then it up shifting and dropping to 5000rpm and losing out on the rest of the 800rpm in said gear.

I learnt the DSG box can be mapped so it's completely manual no auto shifting when in manual, hitting red lines with out auto up shifts. That's your answer if you want complete control

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Count Drunkula

Jul 12, 2017
The petrol engine with dsg is similar it will kick down to second at 50mph when pushing on.

If you are in manual just shift down yourself rather than relying on kick down feature

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Map the gearbox no issues then. I don't change until 6500-7200rpm for my peak figures. High boost mode 7k

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Reply to correct me but won't on a PM

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Sent you a message or at least taptalk said it sent

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Copied and pasted from vag talk Facebook

Has anybody ever had warranty work refused on a 12 month old VAG. In relation to a Drive train. Got asked a few question today on a MK3 Leon cupra 290 that I didn't like. The person was asking who drives the car, what is the car driven like.

Felt rather annoyed about it tbh, cars 12 months old and it's a sports hatchback its supposed to be able to take a bit. Made me question why am I buying a new car for warranty if it's not just straight forward.

Friends MK3 focus RS has had a new engine and turbo be for it even saw 12 months of age, your yelling me things don't go wrong on cars Seat.

Any advice or experiences with problems would be appreciated

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
nope not got any
So I've had a VAG group engineer out today to inspect my Bane (cupra 290)

His first assumption is drive train on drivers side, but could be a gear spindle either way when the car is jacked up and the wheel is rotated it makes a knocking noise and rattle.

After this was said I imeadiatly thought back to last week when I drove it and thought to my self that didn't feel right.

30mph approach to a roundabout with a fairly tight turn onto a dual lane carriage way aprox 110 degrees, I booted it to in the corner to get something out of the limited slip diff and send all the power to the drivers side wheel to get around the corner but it didn't feel right.

Just wondering has anyone had a problem with drive train or the limited slip diff or gearbox after owning the car for 12 months.

Worried that this could come back to me or tried to be made out to be because of driving, I can afford to replace the dual mass fly wheel clutch both drive trains and both LSD providing every option had been exhausted but if rather have my money for other car parts rather than stock parts.

Never used warranty and I understand things go wrong just today a bloke I met with a RS MK3 at 12 months old has had his engine and turbo replaced.
6c2f3bb6f53add2506058fb29ad3a0bd.jpg

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Nothing so far but it's a joke and a head ache. Took it thier yesterday and they refused to have it on site because it wasn't booked in. Told them they break down reports says drive only to Seat and to make life easier and not have time off work I'm brining it now as instructed by the Vag engineer.

Reluctantly I've eneded up having to leave it on a road out side seat. Was told there's a 3 week wait for a courtesy car and kinda looked like she laughed as she said it, even though I need a hire car. As the cars gonna be longer than 2 days for repair and it's my right as a customer. Then she started asking how's the car driven

This is the same dealership that had to pay Crewe Audi for a 3 stage machine polish after servicing it and cleaning it and ****ing the detail work on the car.
6bd602edc4fc13ca4cf78f9a30521ac1.jpg

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Sorry I haven't been on my thread, been so busy over the weekend!

@Havsgaard - If you could check this out that would be interesting to see the results!

@Count Drunkula - I know that's the obvious thing to do when in manual but why would the option still be there to kickdown still when in manual though?

And yes to everyone to confirm this is a diesel engine!

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Apologies Zac for side tracking on your feed

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Nothing so far but it's a joke and a head ache. Took it thier yesterday and they refused to have it on site because it wasn't booked in. Told them they break down reports says drive only to Seat and to make life easier and not have time off work I'm brining it now as instructed by the Vag engineer.

Reluctantly I've eneded up having to leave it on a road out side seat. Was told there's a 3 week wait for a courtesy car and kinda looked like she laughed as she said it, even though I need a hire car. As the cars gonna be longer than 2 days for repair and it's my right as a customer. Then she started asking how's the car driven

This is the same dealership that had to pay Crewe Audi for a 3 stage machine polish after servicing it and cleaning it and ****ing the detail work on the car.
6bd602edc4fc13ca4cf78f9a30521ac1.jpg

I know where thats parked haha

Count Drunkula

Jul 12, 2017
Sorry I haven't been on my thread, been so busy over the weekend!

@Havsgaard - If you could check this out that would be interesting to see the results!

@Count Drunkula - I know that's the obvious thing to do when in manual but why would the option still be there to kickdown still when in manual though?

And yes to everyone to confirm this is a diesel engine!

Probably put in the software as a safety feature to prevent people putting full torque demand through the transmission at low rpm. In much the same way as it will upshift at redline in manual mode

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.